Why can't we find and study Bigfoot?

georgerm

40 minutes ago, Foxhill said:

I've never shot at anything I was not absolutely sure of what it was, and I've never missed anything I've shot at with my rifle. My longest head shot was 400yrds.

Now that I'm finished bragging, please understand that I passed on a lot more shots than I took, the 400 yrd shot was passed up on dozens of times due to weather.

Also understand that shot was basically taken on a private shooting range, I was the only person allowed to hunt this property and while it was not remote, access was very restricted by water and multiple other properties with fencing. I had 6 deer stands and knew the distances to every spot that the deer would show up at and had practiced the 400yrd shot. There was no question about what I was shooting at but the secured access allowed for some very odd behavior of the deer, they acted almost as if it was a safe zone, this is a behavior I witnessed over years of hunting on this site. 

Also understand that shooting skills are a perishable talent they go away quickly.

But to answer your question today with my current rifle and skill set 200yrds for the ear hole shot beyond that, up to 400yrds center mass, the circumstance's would have to be perfect in regards to a guy in a suit issue. That's really always been my biggest issue with this discussion encouraging a bunch of novices to go out and shoot something on two feet, enough people get shot when they're not hunting for something on two feet.  

As far as the one behind me he dies first then I'll take the long shot. 

Go on ....the more you post about your shooting skills the less believable you become on this forum .

lol

• Upvote 2

BFF Patron
23 minutes ago, 7.62 said:

Go on ....the more you post about your shooting skills the less believable you become on this forum .

lol

Meh......it is just the internet.

But why don't you offer up a rebuttal on what's improbable about my skill set.

Your questioning of it would in reality reveal your own ignorance of the subject matter, my skill set is actually quite unremarkable.

Please go on......

Edited by Foxhill
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, Foxhill said:

(I know this is going to shock you but over the decades I've given this a lot of thought)

:) Yep. So have I. Wrote a book about it even. But in that book I categorically state that finding a dead one or a skeleton is top priority. And shooting one doesn't count as finding a dead one ;) The shooting part is where things get complicated, as in the planning and deployment of the plan. The toughest part is guaranteeing the desired outcome which is scientific study and public disclosure of the results. That's where the true gauntlet exists. So, think it or not, grassing one gets one only halfway there. The other half is accomplishing a carefully laid out pre-existing avenue for success.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron
1 minute ago, hiflier said:

:) Yep. So have I. Wrote a book about it even. But in that book I categorically state that finding a dead one or a skeleton is top priority. And shooting one doesn't count as finding a dead one ;) The shooting part is where things get complicated, as in the planning and deployment of the plan. The toughest part is guaranteeing the desired outcome which is scientific study and public disclosure of the results That's where the true gauntlet exists. So, think it or not, grassing one gets one only halfway there. The other half is accomplishing a carefully laid out pre-existing avenue for success.

That's what makes the world go round my friend regardless of the subject matter, you get to be the architect and I'll be the hammer LOL

• Downvote 1

Well, that sounds good there, bud, but I'm also a hammer of sorts even though I don't hunt in the traditional sense. I've been out there and am going to be using some new (to me) methods just so I can be a part of the solution. Springtime is the BEST time to look for the fallen specimen that succumbed to winter's harsh treatment. Starvation, disease, injury, and old age, are things that affect all flesh and blood creatures. And those things can be a factor in having a chance at finding our deceased Hairy Friend before Nature can make the carcass go away. I do, too. That's why every year about this time I push a bit for the early Spring/late Winter search. Norseman checks skunk cabbage patches for signs of early munching like what bears do. And footprints in those muddy patches. There are lots of ways to approach this "hunt" if one knows how to work with natural cycles. 

Edited by hiflier

39 minutes ago, Foxhill said:

Meh......it is just the internet.

But why don't you offer up a rebuttal on what's improbable about my skill set.

Your questioning of it would in reality reveal your own ignorance of the subject matter, my skill set is actually quite unremarkable.

Please go on......

LOL

shooting at the thing that moves the most on a whitetail at 400 yards you say . ......

Shows your ignorance of any type of hunting . It even shows it at 200 yards lol

Edited by 7.62

BFF Patron
5 minutes ago, 7.62 said:

LOL

shooting at the thing that moves the most on a whitetail at 400 yards you say . ......

Shows your ignorance of any type of hunting . It even shows it at 200 yards lol

Wow now your revealing your ignorance of Whitetail behavior...…..ya think they ever stand still?  I will give you a pass and consider maybe you've only seen them bounding across the road from your car.

Please go on....

Edited by Foxhill
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Foxhill said:

Wow  now your revealing your ignorance of Whitetail behavior...…..ya think they ever stand still?  I will give you a pass and consider maybe you've only seen them bounding across the road from your car.

Please go on....

You are not worth my time to discuss firearms or hunting .

Enjoy your stay here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, Foxhill said:

You and I were out hunting varmits with all our legal permits and this bear charged us and I shot it, you know because there is no Bigfoot. Now if your concerned about the body not being there when we get back, no problem we will have brought a battery powered reciprocating saw you would cut off his head while I'm laying down cover fire and hopefully killing the whole lot of them and we can harvest even more evidence, opps sorry if that's a little graphic like I said I've given this a lot of thought.

Welcome to the forum Foxhill.

Your description of taking down a bigfoot is the grim reality, and the way it needs to happen. BFRO has a report of a guide getting ripped to pieces after shooting a bigfoot. If successful, getting the head and another body part back to science is what needs to happen. However, if the specimen is taken on government land, the feds could probably take the evidence and cover up bigfoot.

We are quite aways from the original topic so throw in a few relevant sentences. What is it about bigfoot that makes it so hard to film, or shoot and bring in. What is the number one reason for no long rifle shots that downs one? Does bigfoot have extrasensory hearing, smell, and eye sight along with disdain for humans that it can safely avoid humans? Does bigfoot have such disdain for humans that they avoid us at all cost, and stay well away from the 400 yard head shot? What is the main reason? 

BFF Patron
11 minutes ago, 7.62 said:

You are not worth my time to discuss firearms or hunting .

Enjoy your stay here.

Don't scurry off back up your claim...….what so improbable about a 400yrd head shot of a still target?

9 minutes ago, georgerm said:

Welcome to the forum Foxhill.

Your description of taking down a bigfoot is the grim reality, and the way it needs to happen. BFRO has a report of a guide getting ripped to pieces after shooting a bigfoot. If successful, getting the head and another body part back to science is what needs to happen. However, if the specimen is taken on government land, the feds could probably take the evidence and cover up bigfoot.

We are quite aways from the original topic so throw in a few relevant sentences. What is it about bigfoot that makes it so hard to film, or shoot and bring in. What is the number one reason for no long rifle shots that downs one? Does bigfoot have extrasensory hearing, smell, and eye sight along with disdain for humans that it can safely avoid humans? Does bigfoot have such disdain for humans that they avoid us at all cost, and stay well away from the 400 yard head shot? What is the main reason? 

Whoa there big fella LOL I'm just responding to the questions of others, but thx for the welcome!

Edited by Foxhill
  • Downvote 1

BFF Patron

Indeed now those are exceptional skills and some really tech!

Yessir! I was looking back over a couple of posts here. And while I'm pretty much a nobody on the BFF it could be time for everyone to kinda cool their heels a bit. Personally I would like to see comments on the topic and not each other. IOW, eye on the prize? :) 

1 hour ago, Foxhill said:

...….what so improbable about a 400yrd head shot of a still target?.........

There are a lot of people who will call any 400 yard shot on big game irresponsible. I'm not one of them, but I'm really particular on where I would try such a shot, and I never shoot for the head on big game.

I went ground squirrel shooting with my brother once. That's his favorite hunting. They shoot the heads off of them at 300-500 yards, and I did it with his rifles, so I know it can be done, but that ain't sasquatch hunting, bear hunting, or even deer hunting. If you botch a shot, it's no big deal. His rifles are incredibly fine tuned, are chambered firbthe mist accurate calibers there are, and the scopes are extremely high powered and expensive. I prefer meat hunting, but different strokes for different folks.

Just a point you might want to consider: Alaskan big game guides like to get their clients to shoot big bears at the range of 125 yards, regardless of how good a shot the client is or what he's shooting. The reasoning is that 125 yards is a good range to allow time for follow up shots on a possible charging bear, it's close enough for good shot placement on the first shot, and there isn't much energy loss like there is at 200 yards and farther. I shoot a 300 WinMag at caribou at the longer ranges, so even at 400 yards, there is still plenty of energy left for a 450 lb. ungulate. I would consider shooting a grizzly at 200 yards with that rifle (200 grain Swift A-Frames) to be maximum range. Anything farther is asking for trouble, and following a wounded bear is the kind of trouble I really don't need.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Huntster said:

There are a lot of people who will call any 400 yard shot on big game irresponsible. I'm not one of them, but I'm really particular on where I would try such a shot, and I never shoot for the head on big game.

I went ground squirrel shooting with my brother once. That's his favorite hunting. They shoot the heads off of them at 300-500 yards, and I did it with his rifles, so I know it can be done, but that ain't sasquatch hunting, bear hunting, or even deer hunting. If you botch a shot, it's no big deal. His rifles are incredibly fine tuned, are chambered firbthe mist accurate calibers there are, and the scopes are extremely high powered and expensive. I prefer meat hunting, but different strokes for different folks.

Just a point you might want to consider: Alaskan big game guides like to get their clients to shoot big bears at the range of 125 yards, regardless of how good a shot the client is or what he's shooting. The reasoning is that 125 yards is a good range to allow time for follow up shots on a possible charging bear, it's close enough for good shot placement on the first shot, and there isn't much energy loss like there is at 200 yards and farther. I shoot a 300 WinMag at caribou at the longer ranges, so even at 400 yards, there is still plenty of energy left for a 450 lb. ungulate. I would consider shooting a grizzly at 200 yards with that rifle (200 grain Swift A-Frames) to be maximum range. Anything farther is asking for trouble, and following a wounded bear is the kind of trouble I really don't need.

I would never take a head shot at 400 yards  on big game way too much  room for error involved  and I am a long range precision ( target) shooter .

Edited by 7.62