The Ketchum Report

Guest FuriousGeorge

^I've been hoping for a race in order to speed things up from the beginning.

It would be awesome if a live or dead one was found the day before the release of the paper.

Guest BFSleuth

While science wants to hold itself tightly in the ivory tower, a journal is still a business that thrives on breaking with major new research breakthroughs. The announcement by Sykes will certainly lend a degree of pressure on the journal holding the publication rights to Ketchum's paper to finish dotting the "i's" and crossing the "t's" to make sure they have vetted the paper properly in peer review and get it to publication. Or, it may be that they would be more comfortable following the lead of Sykes. I would think they would rather be first. Firstus with the mostus is king in journalism.

Guest Tontar

The announcement by Sykes will certainly lend a degree of pressure on the journal holding the publication rights to Ketchum's paper to finish dotting the "i's" and crossing the "t's" to make sure they have vetted the paper properly in peer review and get it to publication.

Agreed, but, is this reflective of what is known, or is the idea of a journal actually having the paper another one of those mysterious assumptions? Not criticizing, just wondering what it is that anyone actually knows about where things are.

Guest BFSleuth

You are correct, Tontar. This may very well be an assumption, the only real evidence for the paper having been submitted is from statements from Dr. Ketchum on her FB page. However, I tend to think that it is likely the case that the paper has been submitted and is in peer review process.

Guest Particle Noun

The justification for the silence has always been given by Sally and Dr. Ketchum as mandated by 'the journal' whatever that may be, so it does seem to clearly indicate that the paper is with a journal.

Guest Particle Noun

Of course, big grain o' salt, and proof in the pudding and all of those disclaimers. :)

Guest BFSleuth

The justification for the silence has always been given by Sally and Dr. Ketchum as mandated by 'the journal' whatever that may be, so it does seem to clearly indicate that the paper is with a journal.

I think as Saskeptic has pointed out, the embargo from the journal isn't necessarily the reason for the silence. I think it has much more to do with the NDA's.

Also, Huff has pointed out there may be issues with some parties that submitted samples and are looking for legal protections that may have some impact on what can be said or included in the paper.

Guest Particle Noun

BFS, that is certainly a possibility, but the language from the Ketchum team has clearly indicated it is with a journal. But, without any direct confirmation, we are left to speculate.

Guest Nalajr

So they can quote you their policy on givng out information or details, but CANNOT even NAME the journal they are talking about.....EVER? Yeah makes perfect sense to me.

Nalajr

Guest Particle Noun

While I'm still hopeful about the whole thing, yeah, I'm not very comfortable with that either.

Guest BFSleuth

I wonder how many scientists name the journal they have submitted their paper prior to confirmation of publication date?

^I've been hoping for a race in order to speed things up from the beginning.

While I understand the sentiment, I don't share it. I want the science done right even if it takes longer. The Skeptics are already sharpening their claws and getting into position to rip any study to shreds. The more "fireproofing" the study goes through before pub, the less the flames after pub will hurt it.

I wonder how many scientists name the journal they have submitted their paper prior to confirmation of publication date?

Once I hear from the journal that my paper has been accepted, I not only name the journal, I trumpet that name from the rooftops. (Assuming it's a quality journal, of course.) We list these papers on our CVs with "accepted" or "in press" where the date normally goes in a citation, like this:

Saskeptic, The. In press. Looking for bigfoot in all the wrong places: new insights into the habitat requirements of North America's cryptic hominin. Nature.