Bird Calls and Bigfoot

Tylo

MIB, that must have been an incredibly disturbing experience.  Birds do what they do, cardinal calls at night may not be so unusual.  I will say the other bird related events were really quite strange.  

GuyInIndiana, that's quite a tent story!

14 minutes ago, Redbone said:

I haven't shared this on BFF before, but this seems like a decent place to put it. :) Somewhere I have a very close recording of whatever is making this sound, and it is very bird-like. I'll try to find it.

Edit: Found the close up recording. :)

That second one almost sounds porcine in nature. Any pigs in in the area? The first one is strange. Sounds like Chewbacca in the garbage chute. IDK 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

That second one almost sounds porcine in nature. Any pigs in in the area? The first one is strange. Sounds like Chewbacca in the garbage chute. IDK 

There are no pigs anywhere near this area.

Redbone, thank you for the recordings!  I'm not familiar with the birds in the west, doesn't really sound like a bird to me.  Audio captures are always intriguing.  I really do admire all the work everyone puts into researching.

BFF Patron
On 1/31/2020 at 1:22 PM, Tylo said:

bipedalist,I've heard outstandingly strange owl 'calls', always after midnight.  The first time sounded like an owl fight, sounded like possibly three? Extremely loud right outside a bedroom window but, it sounds strange, it also sounded physical, you heard something hitting against something, movement.  Like three large things hitting each other.  Not the usual owl calls I've heard,  there was hooting mixed with the other bird like sounds.  It actually sounded like an argument, as bizarre as it seems.  I checked the whole area the next day, no feathers to be found. I had expected to find feathers after what seemed to be a fight.  Later, once again around 1 or 2 AM, I was sitting outside on the steps and an owl went off at the tree line (perhaps 120 feet away.)  It was astoundingly loud, like it was blasted out of huge speakers full volume, it was also 'broad' if that makes sense.  It was convoluted and of long duration.  The best I can say is that it was 'owl-like', some weird type of owl talk, I don't know how else to describe it. I've had a whippoorwill blast one call about 15 feet away from me in the daytime, daytime calling is unusual but, once again, the volume was stunning.  It actually made me stop in my tracks.  One summer day I heard a sound something like woodpecker knocking on something, the problem is that it wasn't what I usually hear from woodpeckers, it sounded strange, the usual rhythm was  way off and it was softer sounding.  It was probably 20 feet away from me, hidden in brush.  However, it was so strange that I wouldn't walk through the brush to see it, I actually backed away and left the area.  A couple of times I heard a cardinal call intermittently right outside my open window, probably 1 or 2 AM, it seemed to keep up the calls until I turned off the light and went to bed.

So, I know wildlife does what it does, who knows what these birds were doing, right?  Perhaps they were normal calls, although I honestly don't believe they were normal at all.  My family has always fed the birds, I'm familiar with their usual calls because I work outside all the time.  If I can't identify a call, I try to research what I heard (usually happens with migrating birds.)  All I can say is that the owl calls and the whippoorwill call were stunningly loud, I've never heard such volume.  The other calls were just not usual, in my opinion.

There were a few other things in WI including a couple of times during incredibly dense nighttime fog a skunk/fish stench hung in the air.   It was so bad that I could not stay outside, I couldn't even make it to the first step out the door.  It was a stomach churning stench. 

If an owl attempted to attack a baby or juvenile raccoon in a tribe of coons you would get a racket that sounded like what you describe.  Even a raccoon fight can make you think you have awakened a demon on steroids if you don't know what you are listening to.  The barred owl has faked out so many BF researchers that it is hard to count them all; I am not talking the atypical but the typical.  In the sphere of arguments I heard the samurai chatter interactions of two maybe three probable bigfoots with human-like intonations of chastisement but not a language that could be identified. I do have some sound recordings on soundcloud too but I prefer not to append them to this thread:  you can look them up under bipedalist.

Edited by bipedalist
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bipedalist said:

Even a raccoon fight can make you think you have awakened a demon on steroids if you don't know what you are listening to. 

You got that right. This is raccoons.

I have recorded diurnal birds apparently in response to coyotes going off.

Redbone, those sound like classic whoops. It's remarkable how regular and frequent the first clip is. The second one sounds pretty quiet, being so close to device. Those sounds are typically loud in order to carry, I'd think. Maybe a little one?

On 1/28/2020 at 5:47 PM, 7.62 said:

Interesting question.

I've heard song birds at night before but I wasn't  interacting with a bigfoot . I think the birds were just confused .

We call them night birds. They hang around my place of employment. 

I think it is because of all the lights. 

Who knows?

19 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

We call them night birds. They hang around my place of employment. 

I think it is because of all the lights. 

Who knows?

I'd go with that ... lights.   I've had birds that seem to be diurnal get fairly active on full moon nights in summer and when winter nighttime bonfires light things up.  

MIB

Thanks for all the bird replies!  Will keep in mind the daytime crowd goes a little crazy at night.  The owl calls were outstandingly odd.  It's good to pay attention the out-of-the-ordinary with this subject.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the clip, JKH!  I've lived in the country most my life, slept with windows open, don't recall hearing the daytime crowd at night until recent years.  Quite memorable when they do sing or call at night! (The calls/singing I heard did not sound like they were alarmed.)

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

This was an interesting thread, resurrecting it to bring up something that recently occurred to me. There's a thing I use called Next Door that's like local discussion boards/groups. Sometimes wildlife gets discussed, thankfully not always negatively, but some folks freak out over cougar and coyote sightings. There was a recent discussion about a backyard photo of a barred owl, of which there are many around. So another person stated that they heard spotted owl calls from a canyon near their home, but there must be some confusion, since I don't think spotted owls exist here. When I looked them up at the Cornell Lab, I found this in the description:  "To stay in contact, mated pairs also emit a hollow whistling sound that rises in pitch at the end."  These sounds can be heard in the background of the second example and in the third example at the link.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Spotted_Owl/sounds

They sound similar to classic BF whoop sounds to me, and to Redbone's examples on the last page. In the third clip at the link, notice how the call echoes. It makes great sense that BF communications would carry long distances for locating others and that they'd use mimicry. I'm not thinking that the BFs specifically mimic that species, as whoop calls are commonly reported in all regions, but they resemble general bird calls enough to escape notice.

I think I'll get over there to drop a recorder, anyway! :thumbsup:

Edited by JKH
  • Upvote 1

A couple of weeks ago, I heard what could best be described as a owl...as imitated by a very large hearing impaired person.  

Been in that area day and night.  I have heard bard, horned, and screech owls before; but never anything like this.  

Given that I didn't see what made the sound, I can't say what it was.  However, it falls in line with other reported sounds attributed to Bigfoot.

Very interesting. Do you happen to know of any direct reports of a Sasquatch being observed mimicking local wildlife?