Weapon Of Choice

Rod

It would not be wise to go into the bush without a weapon. I am contemplating purchasing a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan:

5301.jpg

What is your weapon of choice?

Fishing rod, loaded up with 2 – 4 lbs line and dry flies. Some days I’m pretty deadly with that combination.

Aside from the fishing rod, I like to carry a Ruger Blackhawk in .44M and if it’s during any upland game bird season I now carry a CZ Bobwhite in 20g. If there isn’t a bird season running I will carry a Marlin 1895 SBL in 45-70. We have had an open season on cougars all year, so I figure my 45-70 would likely put one down if I had the opportunity.

Admin

Glock model 20 10mm with 15 shot magazine. Not much out there this gun won't stop.

As long as I have something that will take down a bear (black or griz, for example), then I feel secure.

Edited by Rod

Springfield Armory GI model 1911A1.

Maybe someday I'll go to the 10mm route but around here the biggest worry from running into Bears its running into people.

Guest Darrell

I usually carry a number of different handguns when out trekking in the woods. My main combo is an 8 shot S&W 317 in 22LR along with a S&W 686+ 7 shoot .357 Mag. The 317 weighs less than 14 oz loaded and I carry that in a belt holser. Its a great little plinker and small game revolver. The 686 is more for self defense and I carry this one in a loop holster in my Maxpedition Jumbo versi-pak. I dont worry much about large bears in my area but do have the chance to run into mountain lion, black bear, and the odd moose. I am more concerned about human preditors than wildlife so the 686 is more for those encounters.

0OnMOl.jpg

W403Yl.jpg

Sometimes I carry my S&W Perf Center 66 Carry Comp .357 Mag. Its a little lighter than the 686 and has a 3" barrel but the 686 is my favorite woods gun.

ayZxml.jpg

I usually carry a number of different handguns when out trekking in the woods. My main combo is an 8 shot S&W 317 in 22LR along with a S&W 686+ 7 shoot .357 Mag. The 317 weighs less than 14 oz loaded and I carry that in a belt holser. Its a great little plinker and small game revolver. The 686 is more for self defense and I carry this one in a loop holster in my Maxpedition Jumbo versi-pak. I dont worry much about large bears in my area but do have the chance to run into mountain lion, black bear, and the odd moose. I am more concerned about human preditors than wildlife so the 686 is more for those encounters.

0OnMOl.jpg

W403Yl.jpg

Sometimes I carry my S&W Perf Center 66 Carry Comp .357 Mag. Its a little lighter than the 686 and has a 3" barrel but the 686 is my favorite woods gun.

ayZxml.jpg

Nice first post Darrell! You have some awesome goods. What brand/type of knife is that in your first pic? A Buck?

Guest Darrell

The knife with the S&W 686 is a Buck Kalinga Pro. The knife with the S&W 317 is a ESEE-5 with a Rat Pack survival kit.

SSR Team

A Baseball Bat.. B)

ESEE-5

How do you like it? I carry a KaBar Marine knife and Benchmade Rant. Both of which I like a lot. The ESEE-5 is on my list of future "toys".

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag 7.5" barrel - Big Power and very accurate. Only a .454 casull or maybe a S&W 500 mag will replace my Ruger .44 mag (if I was satisfied with their accuracy that is).

Backup: CZ-52 in 7.62x25 Tokarev - Super high velocity round will shoot thru most tree trunks. I don't want any other backup. Hiding behind trees will not work if someone is shooting at you with this one. That's important to my peace of mind while I'm out in the woods.

Chris B.

Guest tracker

wow some of you guys carry some serious hardware

Jeez this is all I carry 15" Bowie dbl forged blade with cherry hardwood handle and brass protector. I gave my son my old Rambo rip off combat knife.

DSCF0059.jpg?t=1304303122