Weapon Of Choice

Rod

Nothing Like a Ruger Vaquero 5 1/2" barrel with 6 -357 mag. SJRN rounds for that deep penitration and bone crunching power... I love the black grips and blued finish, no glare in the sunlight, almost invisible from a distance and in the shadows. Nowhere near as heavy as my GP100 DA.

Its mainly bear and mountain lion protection, but if a rogue squirrel wants a piece of me, I'll have lots of pieces of him.

I also carry a Timber rattler outlaw when going out for any overnights. I have a smaller knife for short trips.

The Timber Rattler is a knife?

Is it safe to camp anymore without an arsenal?

FGS, What do you need to protect yourself from? We camped with frying pans...would they work? :ph34r: Guns are illegal in state run campgrounds I think. Jail is something I never wish to see any closer than the TV shows..We survived, but now that I know so much about BF, snakes,etc, I'm abandoning outdoor camping. Hubby can just rent a trailer with strong walls and air conditioning, and park it at the camp site. :rolleyes: . I'll make sure my soldier son is packing if he's home. :D

I have a nickle plated 25 caliber Browning with a pearl handle. For a gun it's sorta pretty,and 3 big strong men. .

Daddy bought the gun for me and taught me how to use it. I gave it to hubby for safety sake..

Hubby has all sorts of guns, so does my soldier son, and we have dogs.

I'm safe. :rolleyes: As long as 2 little 5 pound Yorkies can scare someone away :blink:But the stray I rescued will not let anyone touch me, including hubby. :blush: She a large fat mix that adores the family, but she protects me because I feed her, I think.

Edited by SweetSusiq

Guest dr hook

Weapon of choice when I was in Fairbanks and Seward, Alaska was my trusty Colt Anaconda 4" barrel 44Mag. Bears were a real concern, especially in Seward when the Salmon would choke the streams.

Current 'Squatch lineup for me is one of the folllowing-

Remington 870 with 2 shot extension running 1oz. slugs (Rem. or Breneke)

Winchester M70 custom chambered for 338-06 pushing 250 grain bullets (my moose rifle)

My buddy in Arcata goes budget style with a well worn T-53 in 7.62x54R.

Up in Arcata/Humbolt etc. I have run the 870 with slugs, this setup will stop a dumptruck out to around 25 meters, with 50 being a realistic max effective range on a Bigfoot IMO.

This year on our 'Squatch hunt I am bringing my newest deer rifle, another Winchester M70 in 30-06, as I will be scouting for deer as well...........

Guest dr hook

Sometimes I carry my S&W Perf Center 66 Carry Comp .357 Mag. Its a little lighter than the 686 and has a 3" barrel but the 686 is my favorite woods gun.

ayZxml.jpg

Nice lineup, I have a 2 digit serial (prefixed with a zero)of a Performance Center .357 and she is in my top 5 favorite revolvers, excellent choice, and never sell it!

Forgot to add, mine is in matte blue- I had the choice of SS or blue.

Edited by dr hook

Traded my Ruger Blackhawk 357 for a Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum today. Getting ready for expeditions in bear country

Let's roll, partner! :thumbsup:

Guest wild eyed willy

I don't know, the 50th Anniversary Blackhawk with 6.5" barrel in 44M is sort of like that :)

It certainly is, I was concerned about the kick of the 44M so I got the 357, but I looked at it for awhile, nice gun.

Guest wild eyed willy

I have a nickle plated 25 caliber Browning with a pearl handle. For a gun it's sorta pretty,and 3 big strong men. .

Daddy bought the gun for me and taught me how to use it. I gave it to hubby for safety sake..

Hubby has all sorts of guns, so does my soldier son, and we have dogs.

I'm safe. :rolleyes: As long as 2 little 5 pound Yorkies can scare someone away :blink:But the stray I rescued will not let anyone touch me, including hubby. :blush: She a large fat mix that adores the family, but she protects me because I feed her, I think.

HA HA, you should be fine, just don't shoot anything larger than a big house cat with the 25, you'll just **** it off. But the Pearl handle sounds really cool..

In the last 20 years we in CT gained Black bears and Mountain Lions, although rare they do reside here and although I don't ever expect to encounter one, should it happen I wouln'd want it to be the one time I left the gun in the safe.. Just my luck I would encounter one who got up on the wrong side of the cave that morning... LOL

Guest wild eyed willy

Nice lineup, I have a 2 digit serial (prefixed with a zero)of a Performance Center .357 and she is in my top 5 favorite revolvers, excellent choice, and never sell it!

Forgot to add, mine is in matte blue- I had the choice of SS or blue.

Love the look of this revolver,This has class. does the stuby barrel give enough velocity to penitrait thick bear hide, fat and muscle?

It certainly is, I was concerned about the kick of the 44M so I got the 357, but I looked at it for awhile, nice gun.

I actually recommended the .357 to a friend. It's hard to go wrong with a Ruger revolver.

Guest dr hook

Love the look of this revolver,This has class. does the stuby barrel give enough velocity to penitrait thick bear hide, fat and muscle?

With revolvers, you automatically lose something between the cylinder and the forcing cone- so all things being equal, a shorter barrel will effect velocity as with all firearms.

Revolvers vary greatly ( by firearms standards) but when we deal with "adequate" for our inteneded use, then even that short barrel will have plenty of "juice" at a correspondingly shorter range.

What we really want is mass when it comes to truly dangerous game, and a bear fits that as well as a Cape Buffulo or an Elephant. I chose a .44 Mag as the minimum "bear" gun when bears were a real concern, not just as a "nice to have one" but when large bears would get agro (California for aggressive)when we were fishing. We had face to face encounters often, and the .44 was the minimum that let me feel (pretend, actaully!) that we stood a snowball's chance.

Anyway, in a nutshell if you are close (and why would you fire unless otherwise?)that setup should suffice..............but there are so many variables!

I used to hunt bears, but have not in over 12 years. I used a .300 Win Mag and when I went hunting in Alaska with a .44 (8" barrel S+W) I didn't get one, so no first hand revolver experience in that department.

When I first got to Alaska, a veteran hunter (M. Meyers) told me to get a 4" barrel .44 Mag as my hiking/backup ASAP. Sorry for no first hand experience, but Meyers knew what he was doing and had the hides to prove it!

Guest Darrell

I'm open to suggestions. Do you have any suggestions for a lighter revolver that would bring down a bear?

Well, a S&W 629 Backpacker is a 3" 44 mag that would be a little lighter but not by much. S&W also makes a 329 scandium fram 44 Mag that weights less than 30 oz but is pretty painfull to shoot. Great for carry, not so great to shoot. Not sure if I can give you any other lighter options. I was also thinking of one of the Ruger Vaquaro models, cant remember the exact model, Mondaldo or something, that is a 3" 45 Colt that might be an option. The thing is, if you are only walking to a tree stand or hiking a short distance to a huckleberry patch, packing a heavy revolver is'nt so bad but if you need to hike anything over a mile they get to be a pain in the hip. Thats why I carry my 686 in a Versipak and not a hip or shoulder holster. I'm more concerned with having to defend myself against people in the bush than against an animal, although the moose up here can get pretty cranky. Also, 454 Casull ammo can get real expensive unless you reload so that may be a reason to go to a 44 mag or 45 Colt.

Guest watch1

Weapon of choice?

I would love to own this pair of pistols..LOL

But, when it comes to keeping a Booger off of me (Just in case)I will settle for my XD45 Tactical.

xd9666hcsp.jpg

Mike (watch1)

HA HA, you should be fine, just don't shoot anything larger than a big house cat with the 25, you'll just **** it off. But the Pearl handle sounds really cool..

In the last 20 years we in CT gained Black bears and Mountain Lions, although rare they do reside here and although I don't ever expect to encounter one, should it happen I wouln'd want it to be the one time I left the gun in the safe.. Just my luck I would encounter one who got up on the wrong side of the cave that morning... LOL

Yeah, Daddy thought that I needed something to carry for safety but now hubby has it in the safe.

I'll give it to my daughter when the time to right.

We are members of the NRA, and the men all get gun magazines, plus soldier son has a beautiful gun made for his West Point class that he carries in a holster in war zones.

If I remember correctly, he carried it in a across the chest holster for easy reach when he was driving his Stryker.

That is a nice weapon he has, it cost him 2 or 3 thousand dollars if I remember correctly back in 08.

Hubby could have purchased one also, but he could not justify spending that much money on a gun for it to just sit in our gun safe. We do not have a license to carry concealed weapons, and son only wore his in Iraq.