Weapon Of Choice

Rod

Guest Darrell

plus soldier son has a beautiful gun made for his West Point class that he carries in a holster in war zones.

If I remember correctly, he carried it in a across the chest holster for easy reach when he was driving his Stryker.

That is a nice weapon he has, it cost him 2 or 3 thousand dollars if I remember correctly back in 08.

Hubby could have purchased one also, but he could not justify spending that much money on a gun for it to just sit in our gun safe. We do not have a license to carry concealed weapons, and son only wore his in Iraq.

Sorry, Gotta call BS on this one. I just retired from the US Army, did 3 tours in Iraq and did Desert Storm. No way you can bring your own firearms

with you, and BTW, Ring Knockers dont drive Strykers. Sorry if this is a little blunt, but its total BS!

Guest Darrell

Love the look of this revolver,This has class. does the stuby barrel give enough velocity to penitrait thick bear hide, fat and muscle?

I love the look too, and the cool factor is a big reason I bought this one. I have chrono'd some loads thru the Carry Comp, which has a 3" ported barrel, and my 2.5" S&W 686 and 4" S&W 66. The 3' ported barrel is does a "little" better than the 2.5" but the comp really tames down the barrel flip comparred to the actuall 2.5" snubbie. The Carry Comp really does'nt loose much comparred to the 4' S&W 66. Of course it all depends on loads with mid range .357 mag loads loosing more velocity than hotter loads. I dont really carry my .357's for bear defense as they really are not that much of a pest in NE Wa/N. Id. I do know a guy who shot a decent size blackie with a lever action Marlin 1894 in .357 mag and it did fine.

I carried my Ruger Blackhawk .357 magnum for years on my hip holster as I surveyed, mostly on Forest Service boundary lines. It was 48 oz unloaded, and I carried it for several miles every day and never noticed it. Of course I was used to walking miles over rough terrain and carrying gear on my belt as well as in my pack and over my shoulder. To me, if you are carrying a firearm for protection from something that you may suddenly come upon in the woods, there is no reasonable place to carry it besides a hip or chest holster for easy access. The heck with worrying about it rubbing your thigh a little bit. You'll eventually get used to that, just like you get used to the way your backpack straps press on your shoulders, and the weight of your boots and gear. Sometimes it is good to gain a callous or two in order to toughen up (not that several of you guys & gals on here aren't a whole lot tougher than me, because many of you sure are!)

"I don't want to go through life without any scars" - Tyler Durden, Fight Club

Sorry, Gotta call BS on this one. I just retired from the US Army, did 3 tours in Iraq and did Desert Storm. No way you can bring your own firearms

with you, and BTW, Ring Knockers dont drive Strykers. Sorry if this is a little blunt, but its total BS!

My son does have that gun, and I truly believe that he had it in Iraq.

He was in a small all alone camp outside the city where Saddam's sons were killed.?Can't remember the name now. This was almost 2 years ago.

I have some of his pictures, and I will post the ones with the weapons.

He has a Stryker unit.

I will post those also.

Perhaps it was more per unit or per commander. I wasn't there, but do have several friends who carried their own.

Preferring a 45 vs 9mm side arm.

He was in a small all alone camp outside the city where Saddam's sons were killed.?Can't remember the name now. This was almost 2 years ago.

He has a Stryker unit.

I will post those also.

No need to prove anything, Susi, unless you want to PM Darrell.

Let's keep on-topic of the thread's intent- weapons we bring into the bush.

Guest Darrell

He has a Stryker unit.

I will post those also.

Unless he snuck it over (not that hard to do) and snuck in back (super hard to do) he did'nt take his POW (personally owned weapon) to theater with him. Especially a handgun costing several thousand dollars! All but about 4 major bases in Iraq are small FOBs(Forward Operating Bases) and it is not unique for Infantry (which is what Stryker Brigades are) to occupy FOBs. I myself was on FOB Headhunter, FOB Ironhorse, and FOB Gunner in 2003-2005 and all over north central Iraq while working with TF 16 out of Camp Syverson in 2008-2009.

Guys/ Gals ...

Let's please keep this post on track, as to what weapons we think we would want to take with us into the bush.

Things are getting a little off track, and that always spells doom for these threads !

Thank You!

Art

I called my son while he's at a wedding. :blush:

I should NEVER try to talk about what my son is doing and using because he kindly explained to me what he was doing in Iraq.

He was stationed near Kirkuk, and the unit had MWraps, not skrykers. :blush: He did not carry his own weapon. He did not drive the MWraps.

At least I can say the correct terms after talking to my boy.

He's at a wedding today with some classmates. He sounded really happy, and was not even slightly irritated with my odd questions. However, I was when I realized how far off I was.

I hereby promise never to ASSUME anything ever again relating to military stuff.

However, He is not driving the Strykers(I think) but he is in that unit and will be deployed to Arizona.

To my new soldier friend, please go and look up the thread about his deployment to Arizona.

I am still correct about that. :blink: Thank heavens..

I would feel secure carrying a baseball bat into any wooded area, I am a good shot, but the sound is too loud and I jump.

That's all but I'm Back On Topic I Hope!

OMG, BOT, My sorta pretty gun could kill a bird in the woods I would think.That's my weapon of choice to use because it's all that I have.. :ph34r::blush::blink: I now have a headache from stress... :(

Edited by SweetSusiq

Edited as multiple threads came in from others saying the same thing! Lol

Anyway, I can't wait to shoot my new Super Blackhawk!

Edited by Surveyor

Guest Biggie

Weapon of choice?

I would love to own this pair of pistols..LOL

I saw that just the other day. It reminded me of these guys in The History Of The World Pt1 since it looks like something they would have.

likepiss.jpg

I don't go in the woods much so I just have a Taurus PT945 and a Mossberg 500 for home protection.

pt-945ss.jpg

mossberg500.jpg

Guest Darrell

Rod, found this one today:

miA0ul.jpg

Its a S&W 629 "Mountain Gun". 44 mag, 38 oz, 6 shot, round butt grip frame. Used in box for $650. Loaded its only about 6 oz heavier than my S&W 686. Its several hundred bucks less than the Alaskan and maybe a little easier and cheaper to shoot.

I would carry a baseball bat.

It's large, and is silent.(Except for my screams as I tried to kill something) :unsure::blush::blink:

Also, I only saw the earlier posts *after* I posted an earlier post. :blush:

It's hard to miss with a baseball bat. You just hit it over the head instead of shooting it! ;)

After vomiting from the horror of killing something, I'd go home and cry w/o whatever I had killed. :wacko::blob:

I'd starve to death if I had to kill to eat. I just can't do it.

My heart is just too tender. :blush: I can't help it, I was born this way.

SSR Team

The baseball bat didn't go so well for that one dude in Silver Bullet....lol

I've not seen it but i regulary watch MLB now & see how my weapon of choice can be used well.. :D