Weapon Of Choice

Rod

wow some of you guys carry some serious hardware

Of course! And, it all depends upon what large game is in your backyard. In regards to carrying a knife only, I would want to take care to avoid hand-to-hand combat with a bear, big cat, etc., should the occasion arise.

Guest tracker

Of course! And, it all depends upon what large game is in your backyard. In regards to carrying a knife only, I would want to take care to avoid hand-to-hand combat with a bear, big cat, etc., should the occasion arise.

we got everything except grizzlies, if i have to I'll make a spear just like the old days.smile.gif

we got everything except grizzlies, if i have to I'll make a spear just like the old days.smile.gif

I think the idea of the thread is for the sudden need for immediate protection, not in an instance where you would have time to make something to protect yourself.

I think the idea of the thread is for the sudden need for immediate protection, not in an instance where you would have time to make something to protect yourself.

Bingo

Guest tracker

true, that's why sometimes i carve one up or bring one along and use it as a walking stick upon entering. smile.gif

Guest Darrell

How do you like it? I carry a KaBar Marine knife and Benchmade Rant. Both of which I like a lot. The ESEE-5 is on my list of future "toys".

I actually did'nt like it very much and sold the knife about 4 months ago. Its pretty heavy for its size and IMO did'nt cut well and was a little short to be an effecient chopper. I think the ESEE-6 or ESEE-4 are a better design. My main complaint with ESEE knives is they are getting a bit pricey for what you get.

wow some of you guys carry some serious hardware

I'm a believer in condom theory.

Better to have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.

Guest Darrell

It would not be wise to go into the bush without a weapon. I am contemplating purchasing a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan:

5301.jpg

Rod, have you fondled one of those yet? I played with one a week ago and its a BIG revolver. My best friend has a S&W 500 in 500 Mag and even with the short barrel its a monster to pack. I've found if you are out for any length of time in the field a huge revolver will start to rub on places you dont want rubbed and pull down things you dont want pulled down. You might want to look into a Maxpedition versipack or something like that to carry your new 40 oz revolver comfortably.

Rod, have you fondled one of those yet? I played with one a week ago and its a BIG revolver. My best friend has a S&W 500 in 500 Mag and even with the short barrel its a monster to pack. I've found if you are out for any length of time in the field a huge revolver will start to rub on places you dont want rubbed and pull down things you dont want pulled down. You might want to look into a Maxpedition versipack or something like that to carry your new 40 oz revolver comfortably.

Thank you for the advice, Darrell. No, I have not handled one yet. I'm still researching my options, and then will trek into town and compare those options in-person if they are available.

I'm open to suggestions. Do you have any suggestions for a lighter revolver that would bring down a bear?

As long as I have something that will take down a bear (black or griz, for example), then I feel secure.

What takes down a grizzly?(Besides an Abrams' Tank cannon?)

Is it out of the question to carry the gun in a holster? Is it too large for a holster?

What about a bandoleer like the Mexican bandits used to wear?

It would be an easy pull from something like that I would think.

Guest wild eyed willy

Nothing Like a Ruger Vaquero 5 1/2" barrel with 6 -357 mag. SJRN rounds for that deep penitration and bone crunching power... I love the black grips and blued finish, no glare in the sunlight, almost invisible from a distance and in the shadows. Nowhere near as heavy as my GP100 DA.

Its mainly bear and mountain lion protection, but if a rogue squirrel wants a piece of me, I'll have lots of pieces of him.

I also carry a Timber rattler outlaw when going out for any overnights. I have a smaller knife for short trips.

Nothing Like a Ruger Vaquero 5 1/2" barrel with 6 -357 mag. SJRN rounds for that deep penitration and bone crunching power... I love the black grips and blued finish, no glare in the sunlight, almost invisible from a distance and in the shadows. Nowhere near as heavy as my GP100 DA.

I don't know, the 50th Anniversary Blackhawk with 6.5" barrel in 44M is sort of like that :)