Weapon Of Choice

Rod

They are much better now.    When Remington purchased Marlin they moved the old, worn out equipment and continued to use it for a while.   The guns made 2-3 years before transition, through the transition phase, and for a year or more after the move are the ones to avoid.   Remington has since replaced the manufacturing machinery used for making the Marlin rifles.    They're every bit as good now as they ever were.   The challenge is finding new guns that are truly new rather than new guns that have been sitting in a warehouse since the transition time.   

A month or so ago I picked up an 1895 GBL .45-70.   It was every bit as well put together, fit and finish, as the 1895 GS I bought about 10 years ago.  Of course, having a laminated stock, it was still "clubby", but it wasn't a question of fit or finish.   The odd negative I found with it is it didn't like the WWLG "bear proof" extractor I put in it.   For some reason it'd release fired cases inside the action.  The factory unit, which I don't like because it is somewhat flimsy, performed better.

There are some of the "JM" marked guns of late manufacture which are just as much to be avoided as the early "Remlins".  

One wholesaler has a bunch of 1895 CBAs in stock.   I'd like one but I don't know precisely when they were made.  That model was discontinued just about the time the new equipment went into service and I don't know which side of the line they fall on.  That makes that more of a gamble than I want to take.

MIB

BFF Patron

Anyone know what gun the zoo used to shoot that gorilla the other day?      They said it was 400 lbs.      My opinion is that some 4 year old that is talking about climbing down into the moat but the parents do not watch him to prevent that,  I think perhaps the zoo should have let natural selection take place and leave the gorilla alone.    I humans freaking out and screaming probably got the gorilla agitated and cause him to drag the kid around.   That is one reason I think people should be careful who they do BF field work with.    If someone has a face to face and freaks out it might create a dangerous situation.    A BF might think well the woman is screaming anyway I might as well grab her and carry her off like we did in the old days with the Native Americans.  

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Guest Crowlogic

My weapon of choice my Ruger 22 magnum semi automatic.  5 or 6 rapid rounds from this will make most things thing twice about getting too personal.

post-242-0-47294300-1464714576_thumb.jpg

Edited by Crowlogic

Ruger stopped production of the 10/22 Magnum after a relatively short run, due to issues with functioning with the long magnum cartridge. That cartridge has always been tricky for any manufacturer to provide a reliable design.

That said, the rifle I have has always been quite reliable for me. Probably want to keep the action cleaned regularly. And I agree, that is a worthy amount of firepower for non-dangerous critters.

It's highly likely that a "new" new version Remlin has not passed through the small, independent gun retailers I've perused. There are a lot of guns in ME but many of those are traded around for things like snow tires and outboards or alternately and possibly largely, private sales. My guess would be it's not a high volume, new gun sales arena so the old stock lingers.

Granted I've not seen a Remlin with a canted front sight post recently but the general feel of the actions and the guns overall have paled in comparison to my JM. The wood stocks on the JM are nicer quality, the fit to the receiver tighter. While one can't fairly compare a worked in action to a stiff new one they still felt like crap.

Hopefully any of you folks who purchased a Remlin are happy with them and they perform well. It's a bit of a PITA to be so picky, but hey, if we settle for and buy crap they'll keep making it.

If you have the opportunity, it can't hurt to give both a gander, buy what satisfies you.

I'll probably have to pass unless I hit the lottery soon, but found these Marlin 1894 conversions mighty interesting. I'd dearly love a 10mm carbine:

http://www.rangerpointprecision.com/#!marlin1894-shortstroke-45acp-10mm-357sig/c18ae

Marlin 1894 Short Stroke, Pistol Caliber Conversion

Our conversions are not warmed over factory rifles, but are married from the action up to your caliber of choice. All critical parts are modified to produce an 1894 carbine that runs these shorter semi-auto pistol cartridges faster, smoother, more accurately, and more reliably than a factory rifle. 

Here’s how:

• Faster: Every one of our semi-auto 1894 pistol caliber carbines includes a short stroke conversion. This means that you move the lever significantly less to cycle the action, resulting in faster follow-up shots.

• Smoother: Every one of our conversions includes our full action and trigger treatment, for the lightest, slickest action possible.

• Accurate: Our conversions are built with quality Douglas barrel blanks, individually chambered, concentric to the bore, and perfectly head-spaced to your chosen cartridge. In addition, our accurizing service can deliver 3 - 5 shots in 1 inch MOA accuracy at 100 yards. 

• Reliable: Because every action part is modified and/or hand tuned, your converted pistol caliber carbine will run flawlessly. No feed glitches, no failures to extract or eject. Just go time. Every time.

• Unique: Custom paint and wood finishes. Your choice! Add a rail, a one or two point sling, optics, etc. 

A 22 mag is not what I'd want with anything dangerous. You'd injury the animal and now have something that can rip you apart pissed off and wanting revenge. 

If you're going to carry a brush gun, I'd want a 45-70.

I love the finish and practicality of the stock of the GSBL but the GBL model can be had for ~$600.

.45-70 is indeed good.   A lever action .44 magnum with appropriate bullets ... meaning bullets constructed for impact at rifle speeds ... is nothing to sneeze at either.    That said, I'm usually out there doing something and if it's not specifically hunting, a rifle is an impediment to the task at hand.   I lean heavily towards handguns.  

10/22 magnum ... the thing that stopped me is they call for 40 grain ammo only and I'm very fond of both Federal's 50 grain load and CCI's maxi-mag +V 30 grain load.

Funny story?   25+ years ago I was exiting a L.G.S. with a new pistol scope in hand and met a guy going in.  We talked a sec.  He'd just broken his third scope of that model with his Freedom Arms .454 Casull and offered to meet me at the range so I could shoot it.  Never happened, I moved to another town, etc.   20-ish years later we met again on a hunting forum, the offer still stood, so we finally met and shot his gun.  Impressive.  He brought a friend along, an old time gun writer who'd retired locally, and a big pile of other guns.  One was a heavy barreled, braked, savage .223 he'd converted to a .22 x .264 Win Mag wildcat with a half-radius shoulder ... I got to fire the first 3 shots out of it.   Grouped under 1/3 of an inch at 100 yards with 55 grain ballistic tips over 4100 fps.  Wow.   Anyway, the 10/22 mag part ... the two guys had a couple of 10/22 and 10/22 magnum project guns they'd set up with aftermarket barrels and action parts from Volquartsen and others.   Big target scopes .. etc.   They loaded a 10/22 magnum magazine with .22 magnum shells to shoot.   It went into the action fine but the shells wouldn't chamber.   They fussed with it, eventually pried, beat, whacked, etc 'til they managed to drive a couple of the .22 magnum bullets back into the case.   I finally asked if I could look at it.   Took a sec to see the problem.   Yep, it was a 10/22 magnum, but they'd put a Volquartsen .17 HMR barrel on it and those .22 magnum shells just wouldn't fit.   "Oops." 

MIB

I don't handload, and pistols aren't a real option here

Even my 450 marlin is darn expensive to shoot

I think for most people the best option is a widely available caliber in a firearm that they shoot well

Understood. When you get a chance post a pic. Id like to see it!

I had not forgotten been busy with my job and family things but here are the pic's to try and explain it

post-509-0-36099700-1464972014_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-18195100-1464972072_thumb.jpg