Weapon Of Choice

Rod

To be honest, I really don't like the idea of using Easy Off because it can literally blind someone. I will have to get a can of the bear spray since it doesn't do any permanent damage.

I agree Jodie.

That's exactly why hubby and soldier son took Bear Spray we purchased when they went hiking and camping in the Smokies with our son-in-law..

I holed up with my daughter in the hotel and we had a wonderful time..(While the Cat's away the mice will play :blush:)

Just go stay in a hotel with a *view* of the mountains, and be sure to be beside the stream running through town.

I can PM you where we stay when we go to Gatlinburg if you would like a recommendation.

The bear situation around Gatlinburg has been getting more dangerous over the years.

I would now recommend carrying bear spray at all times in that area, even in the city.

Bears are discovering how easy it is to find food locally in town~and they are doing so.. :blink:

We left a restaurant and ran into a Black Bear.

We retreated back into the restaurant. :( The bear was just walking down the street on the edge of town on the Cherokee side.

It was run off after a while.

Hubby and son with son-in-law never saw a bear while hiking and camping, and my daughter and I who stayed in town did! :(

It was rather scary.

Back at the hotel where we were staying I stopped by the office to tell them about the bear sighting in town, and the clerk told us that a mountain lion had been prowling along the stream by the hotel recently.

I am re-thinking our vacation trips to Gatlinburg.

Staying home sounds safer... :(

Edited by SweetSusiq

Guest wild eyed willy

Weapon of choice?

I would love to own this pair of pistols..LOL

But, when it comes to keeping a Booger off of me (Just in case)I will settle for my XD45 Tactical.

xd9666hcsp.jpg

Mike (watch1)

If you can come up with 2 Mil. you might get the chance to own those pistols... pretty amazing, not all that practical, but pretty amazing.

Guest wild eyed willy

Unless he snuck it over (not that hard to do) and snuck in back (super hard to do) he did'nt take his POW (personally owned weapon) to theater with him. Especially a handgun costing several thousand dollars! All but about 4 major bases in Iraq are small FOBs(Forward Operating Bases) and it is not unique for Infantry (which is what Stryker Brigades are) to occupy FOBs. I myself was on FOB Headhunter, FOB Ironhorse, and FOB Gunner in 2003-2005 and all over north central Iraq while working with TF 16 out of Camp Syverson in 2008-2009.

this may be a stupid question, but why can't you bring your own gun to war? I would think the army would be glad to have some extra guns and bullets..

Guest wild eyed willy

My can of Easy Off. It gets anything and everything off of you long enough to run if you get them in the eyes with it.

This is an awsome Idea, I have at least once attempted to clean an oven and I gotta tell you, the oven probably didn't come clean but I can certainly see how even a hungry Tee Rex would back off after being sprayed with that stuff... I'm going to get a can for my pack today.

Guest watch1

If you can come up with 2 Mil. you might get the chance to own those pistols... pretty amazing, not all that practical, but pretty amazing.

Yes

Amazing workmanship. I think we tend to dismiss this type of workmanship in our computerized digital world these days. For something purely mechanical to reproduce the sound of a singing bird and to make the movements the bird makes is amazing. Just to design something like this and use the different size pearls they used in the design is master craftsmanship work in itself. We don't see this much these days in our plastic mass production world.

Mike (watch1)

marlin has always made excellent lever guns, but i wonder how being owned by remington has affected that?( not picking a fight w/ remington fans, ive got /had a few rems too)

but i say this because looking at a marlin 44 mag lever at ***** sporting goods last year i noticed the front sight was not "top dead center"on the barrel, it had been attached at almost the 1:00 oclock position.

i was suprised & slightly saddened to see that. counter guy just shrugged.

quality control mustve been sleeping at the wheel, im hoping it was just a fluke.

I wonder if the gun shop owner could send the gun back to be fixed?

FGS, How could the gun shop sell something defective like that?

I suspect that gun you were looking at cost a lot of money, so how can the shop owner sell a gun with a defective sight?

To be honest, I really don't like the idea of using Easy Off because it can literally blind someone. I will have to get a can of the bear spray since it doesn't do any permanent damage.

Jodie, IIRC, The bear spray we bought was a concentrated red pepper such as cayenne pepper I think.

This was 3(?) years ago, and lots has happened since then.

It was our last outing with our son before he deployed to Iraq, and I fixed our Thanksgiving meal with the entire immediate family since that son would not be home for Thanksgiving.

Soldier son had wanted to camp and hike with the guys in the family, and that's when we bought the bear repellent pepper spray..

Be warned, that was one big honker of a spray can to repel the bears with.

You would need space to carry it with easy access of course, the guys saw no bears, and we girls had a run-in while out in the city. :rolleyes: and we had nothing except our wits telling us to return to the safety of the restaurant.

Guest wild eyed willy

I can't figure out why they don't just invent a spray can filled with Skunk spray, it's natures defence for the skunk, why can't they just stick it in a can?

this may be a stupid question, but why can't you bring your own gun to war? I would think the army would be glad to have some extra guns and bullets..

I had truly thought that my son had carried his personal weapon to war, but I called and asked him if he had, and he said absolutely no, he did not carry it.

I don't know why he did not carry it, I just accepted his answer and hung up since he was at a wedding. :blink::blush:

I don't know why soldiers cannot carry a personal sidearm in war zones.

Edited by SweetSusiq

I can't figure out why they don't just invent a spray can filled with Skunk spray, it's natures defence for the skunk, why can't they just stick it in a can?

I think you need to go file a patent right now. It's how CoCo Chanel got started with perfume, I don't see why it can't work in reverse unless you accidentally get gassed yourself with it.

Just my $0.02, but everyone trains with the same guns, the armory carries parts for the same gun, the ammunition all works in the same guns. If you have a malfuntion and take it to the armorer and say, can you fix this, if it's not something he already has 1000 parts for you're out of luck. If you run out of .45 ammo and look to the guy next to you with magazines full of 9mm you might be more than out of luck. If your firearm malfunctions and God forbid you have to pick up a dead guys model you're not familiar with...well you get the point. You start introducing a lot of variables in a military situation and things don't run as smooth, at least that's my opinion.

Your question is not stupid at all.

1. Civilian guns are not made to fight wars, they lack magazine capacity and are not full auto.

2. Civilian guns dont work so pretty good after being submerged in mud.

3. SEALs on rare occasions do carry personal weapons. I did.

NS

I wonder if the gun shop owner could send the gun back to be fixed?

FGS, How could the gun shop sell something defective like that?

I suspect that gun you were looking at cost a lot of money, so how can the shop owner sell a gun with a defective sight?

well my dear,it should've been sent back,but i don't know if it ever was.i honestly don't think anyone had noticed until i showed them.

had it been an actual gun shop & not a big box sporting goods store it probably would not have been on the rack for sale.

pros tend to notice those things too.

im not so sure they sold the gun & no, they are not cheap to buy.

same one stayed on the rack for a while. i know cause i went back a few times checking on a tip i had that they were going to do a big sale.

of course, when they did, the gun i wanted to get for my son wasnt included in the sale.

they did however, have one of the 45-70s several of the guys here mention marked down. i seriously thought about getting it, but i must admit, it was a "want to" & not a "need to"cool.gif

Guest wild eyed willy

well my dear,it should've been sent back,but i don't know if it ever was.i honestly don't think anyone had noticed until i showed them.

had it been an actual gun shop & not a big box sporting goods store it probably would not have been on the rack for sale.

pros tend to notice those things too.

im not so sure they sold the gun & no, they are not cheap to buy.

same one stayed on the rack for a while. i know cause i went back a few times checking on a tip i had that they were going to do a big sale.

of course, when they did, the gun i wanted to get for my son wasnt included in the sale.

they did however, have one of the 45-70s several of the guys here mention marked down. i seriously thought about getting it, but i must admit, it was a "want to" & not a "need to"cool.gif

Those want to's and need to's are a pain in the _____ :mad: