Weapon Of Choice

Rod

Guest LittleFeat

::johnwaynedrawl:: "Whadya sayin', Pilgrim?"

The Duke, er, I mean you should be able to figure it out.

elephant_in_the_room.jpg

Guest Darrell

Chris, I just wanted to back up your post, and say... I witnessed the same overseas, while in the AF. The key word to you post though.. is "commanders" or officers. You would probably NEVER ( at least, I hadn't seen it ) have a case of an airman grunt, that would be allowed to carry their own sidearm of choice.

Ok, I know this is getting off topic a little so please forgive this, but when did you guys actually witness this? I'm not talking about WW2, Korea, Vietnam, or Desert Storm but the current war: OIF/OEF, and after spending 28 months in that god forsaken theater of operations as a US Army Sr NCO, guys are not "packing" thier own private weapons. Its a HUGE UCMJ violation. And guess what, the OP who said her son was carring his own weapon already posted and said she was mistaken. Now, to get this back on track with some real weapons:

This is a Ruger SP 101 in .357 Mag. I have carried this revolver over may miles of trails hunting and berry picking. Its only limitations are that it holds only 5 rounds and has a lot of recoil with magnun rounds. If I could have carried a POW in Iraq this is the one I would have brought along:

2kTzHl.jpg

Below is a Buck 124, long out of production but a beast of a knife. This one was made in '73 and is equal in worksmanship and quality to any Randall or custom knife I own. Its a great go to the woods knife:

0PgjDl.jpg

So lets call the private pistols in Iraq argument dead and start posting some guns!

Hi Darrell,

First, let me say "Thank You" for your service in combat duty, to our country.

Yes, we are speaking about a different era, as I have no idea what is being carried by Army personnel, these days.

I served under an AF Capt., that carried several of his own sidearms, both on the base, and in the field during training missions. I also saw other officers carrying sidearms of their personal choice. This was in 1978 at Clark AFB, in the Philippines....so this was post Vietnam, and not the more recent era, you were talking about. No need for further discussion, and I only confirmed another members observation.

Back on the topic.... I carry a S&W .357 model 19 (6" barrell) in the field, when I'm alone. Not the biggest kid on the block, but plenty of firepower using magnum loads. When I'm in a group or alone, I carry bearspray, and an Esee 4 (plain edge) knife. I also carry a machete (just a Gander Mountain special) , and a Rat Cutlery (now Esee) neck knife.

Think about it WEW, in the U.S. we are allowed to carry permitted weapons and our country was created by religious fanatics and other societal rejects. I think that's a little more frightening IMO.

If you really think that, and it's difficult to believe you're serious, I would submit you are misinformed about our founders and the history of this country.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

Guest wild eyed willy

If you really think that, and it's difficult to believe you're serious, I would submit you are misinformed about our founders and the history of this country.

I think Jodie might be referring to the pilgrams, The puritans and the assorted dregs that came over with Columbus. However, that being said, The Americam history is full of Brave and noble men who would roll over in their graves if they could see what our country has become.. I'm glad to see our countryman beginning to re-arm.

No I'm not serious, but our way of life was heavily influenced by the Puritans, who could technically be called religious fanatics, and several older southern cities started out as penal colonies.

Guest FEATHERSTONE

I carry a 1911 45acp loaded with either 230 grain HST's or Buffalo bore hard cast..Known to carry a Glock 17 loaded with ranger sxt or gold dots. As for knives, Strider, Fehrman, or a custom blade from Bill Buxton or Kelsey creek knives.

Guest Darrell

As for knives, Strider, Fehrman, or a custom blade from Bill Buxton or Kelsey creek knives.

I carried a Strider VB and a EBL-T in Iraq 2008-2009. I also have a Fehrman Shadow Scout and a Thru hiker, all nice nice knives but getting really pricey for what you get.

Guest KentuckyApeman

Last ditch weapon of choice(Ruger .357).

Me vs drugged out car-jacker, or, me vs enraged bigfoot? We are talking life or death.

Same result.

Still, the value of an unknown primate is.....

Bus ticket:$35

Cab fare, $40.

Scientific advancement: priceliss.

Edited by KentuckyApeman

Guest wild eyed willy

Last ditch weapon of choice(Ruger .357).

Me vs drugged out car-jacker, or, me vs enraged bigfoot? We are talking life or death.

Same result.

Still, the value of an unknown primate is.....

Bus ticket:$35

Cab fare, $40.

Scientific advancement: priceliss.

Ruger 357, it just don't get no better than this.

I have a 9mm and a 12 gauge. I also always wear a nice long knife that I bought at an estate sale. I don't know the maker, but it is hard as heck and seems to fit me. It's combat style.

The 9mm is mostly for the "crazy scarey WFT people" that I have had the misfortune to meet waaaay out in the deep woods. We were camping a few weeks ago right out in the middle of no where on a logging road and some yahoos stopped right below our campsite. Can't see us up there cause we are :ph34r: like that... They disembarked and IMMEDIATELY started shooting off rounds. We hear they are probably 22's and have a moment of "Do we show ourselves and tell those asshats to stop shooting, or just take cover behind the trees so they don't come back at 2am." We took cover.

The 12 is for bears. I don't hunt them, and I don't want them to hunt me.

The knife is my last best hope against the cougar.

I think if I was faced with a pissed off big guy I would just try to say "Hello, my name is Teresa. I'm sorry if I startled you. I'm going to go now."

Guest Darrell

Rod, to go back to your OP, I actually got a chance to fire a Ruger Alaskan 44 Mag last weekend. I was actually impressed with it. It is bigger than it looks and is heavier than my 4" S&W 629 Mountain Gun. It actually was a little easier on recoil than my 629 due to the grips (I swapped the rubbers out for wood). The 454 will probalby recoil more but its still less than a 500 S&W Mag and the revolver is smaller. It belonged to a friend of a friend who broght it along and he paid $789+tax for it from a local gun shop earlier this year. Unless you want something a little cheeper, buy it. I'd still recommend 44 mag unless you reload, its a lot easier to find and less expensive.

Edited by Darrell

Rod, to go back to your OP, I actually got a chance to fire a Ruger Alaskan 44 Mag last weekend. I was actually impressed with it. It is bigger than it looks and is heavier than my 4" S&W 629 Mountain Gun. It actually was a little easier on recoil than my 629 due to the grips (I swapped the rubbers out for wood). The 454 will probalby recoil more but its still less than a 500 S&W Mag and the revolver is smaller. It belonged to a friend of a friend who broght it along and he paid $789+tax for it from a local gun shop earlier this year. Unless you want something a little cheeper, buy it. I'd still recommend 44 mag unless you reload, its a lot easier to find and less expensive.

Rod is my brother-in-law. He's out of town until the 8th. I think we are getting matching or similar weapons. I already went with the .44 a couple of weeks ago, but passed on the Alaskan & went with the Super Blackhawk Hunter strictly because I could do more with it with the longer barrel (always wanted to get a deer with a pistol, since I have killed one with practically everything else but a spear). I actually turned him on to the Alaskan, but I thought I could get a longer barrel on it at the time. I also thought Ruger was still making it in their larger .480 Ruger, which apparently they have discontinued, or are phasing out.

Guest bsruther

Last week, when we were out in the woods, I took my .380 PPK. For it's size, it's very accurate and would be fine in defense predators of the human kind. The best thing about carrying it, is I hardly know it's there. It's better than nothing, but I didn't feel completely secure with it. It's good for close to home, but I don't feel confident enough to take with me again, to areas where Bears have been seen.

Next time I'll be taking the Ruger P-89. It may be a lot smaller than a .357, but I'll have a lot more chances to hit my target and it's a fairly light gun (when it's empty anyway).

Guest FEATHERSTONE

I carried a Strider VB and a EBL-T in Iraq 2008-2009. I also have a Fehrman Shadow Scout and a Thru hiker, all nice nice knives but getting really pricey for what you get.

I have the EB-T, Pry doors with that bad boy lol, I have one of the first Final Judgements, beast of a blade, prices have gone up which is insane, fully agree, good ol 1095 steel that is heat treated right and the avg user will never know the difference. Shadow scout is a great all around blade, so is the thru hiker for those smaller chores (we got the same taste in steel buddy; )