Question about the Sierra recordings

I’ve just started Ron Morehead’s book so he may address this. Ive been listening to the Sierra recordings on YouTube. At points where the vocalizations are very loud and close the background hissing and humming of the equipment stops. It sounds like the sounds were inserted there or it’s been cleaned up. Is there an explanation for this? 

It’s at 55 seconds in this video. If it’s one of the guys doing it that still doesn’t explain how all that background noise vanishes. 

Sierra Sounds

Catmandoo

Sierra Sounds exist in the entertainment genre. If I remember correctly, recordings were made in the 1970's  so the recorders were reel to reel type for field work. There is a recording made from an illegal shelter ( long destroyed by the Forest Service ) that is formatted for entertainment purposes  that has an over-dubbed narrative  performed by an under employed Hollywood actor.  Why is a human voice dubbed over noises?  Morgan, from Montana, stated in a podcast that he heard a Sasquatch say  "you are not welcome".  Amazing how those squatchy types do so well with the English language. If they were 'not welcome', then the Sasquatch would have destroyed the shelter.

If you are going to follow the old audio, determine the original age.  Does a re-hashed version(s) get released on You Tube every year or two?

I think that I can get better noises at the Seattle zoo.

I don't know what your background is. I encourage you to get your own recordings. High end audio gear is not required. Phones do OK and most cameras these days can do decent audio.  In total darkness, you will get audio, no picture and a time-stamp. The time-stamp may help you plan for future events.

This one doesn’t have a narrative, but I’m wondering if someone trying to make it clearer but screwing it up instead. I’m not a woods person any more, so I don’t see myself ever getting the opportunity to get recordings. I’d be afraid. I don’t know how anyone does it. But I’m glad they do. 

SWWASAS

I bought the book directly from Ron Morehead and got a CD of the recordings with the book.      They are of course edited to be put on the CD,   but I do not remember them being particularly edited heavy handed.    If you want to get clean copies I would contact Ron, tell him you have the book and get the ones he hands out with the book.   He might charge you a few bucks for the CD.      The recorder was an old small portable reel to reel.   By today's digital recorder standards,   terrible in fidelity.     The would be even more remarkable if they had been recorded with a modern recorder with good sound level control.      Some were very loud and close to the recorder so are overdriven and some were far away and had some hiss in them.    Hiss was common of those old reel to reels, especially the portable ones.  .  

There are a few other recordings out there but nothing like the Sierra Sounds exists.   You could spend your life recording at night and never get anything like them.    I have only heard two of the so called Ohio Howls at night, and in both cases it was when I got up with my dog at about 2 am to potty so did not have a recorder running.    One was in Oregon and one was in Washington.  

Edited by SWWASAS
On 2/15/2020 at 11:47 AM, SWWASAS said:

I bought the book directly from Ron Morehead and got a CD of the recordings with the book.      They are of course edited to be put on the CD,   but I do not remember them being particularly edited heavy handed.    If you want to get clean copies I would contact Ron, tell him you have the book and get the ones he hands out with the book.   He might charge you a few bucks for the CD.      The recorder was an old small portable reel to reel.   By today's digital recorder standards,   terrible in fidelity.     The would be even more remarkable if they had been recorded with a modern recorder with good sound level control.      Some were very loud and close to the recorder so are overdriven and some were far away and had some hiss in them.    Hiss was common of those old reel to reels, especially the portable ones.  .  

There are a few other recordings out there but nothing like the Sierra Sounds exists.   You could spend your life recording at night and never get anything like them.    I have only heard two of the so called Ohio Howls at night, and in both cases it was when I got up with my dog at about 2 am to potty so did not have a recorder running.    One was in Oregon and one was in Washington.  

I have the kindle version. It came with links to digital recordings, but I haven’t listened to all of them yet. I need to do that. I hadn’t figured out the kindle links so was listening on YouTube when I posted the question. But that’s a good idea regarding the CDs. 

SWWASAS

He basically tells you what you are listening to in the various CD tracks in his paper book.   .    He is a frequent conference speaker and covers the recording during his presentations.     I have heard it so often I can almost give his presentation.   Over the years he has gone over to woo woo stuff,  so take that with a grain of salt.   Last time I heard him, he was talking about quantum bigfoot.   Funny but science has yet to discover anything much larger than an atom displaying quantum properties.    Certainly nothing the size of bigfoot.  

Edited by SWWASAS
  • Upvote 1
Patterson-Gimlin
On 2/20/2020 at 1:57 PM, SWWASAS said:

He basically tells you what you are listening to in the various CD tracks in his paper book.   .    He is a frequent conference speaker and covers the recording during his presentations.     I have heard it so often I can almost give his presentation.   Over the years he has gone over to woo woo stuff,  so take that with a grain of salt.   Last time I heard him, he was talking about quantum bigfoot.   Funny but science has yet to discover anything much larger than an atom displaying quantum properties.    Certainly nothing the size of bigfoot.  

Not surprised he would go woo woo after the lustre of making his famous recordings has subsided. 

I never considered them as being anything of significance. 

starchunk
On 2/20/2020 at 1:57 PM, SWWASAS said:

Yep, kinda gone off the deep end, and that's quite the rabbit hole.