Eight Lakes In Eight Days A Tracker Jr. Expedition

Guest tracker

Guest tracker

Okay this is my teenage son's first expedition trip without dad. Him and his buddies have set an ambitious goal of canoeing and portaging 8 big lakes in 8 days. For those of you that's hauled aluminum canoes up and down slippery hills with lots of tree roots wearing back packs know it's no easy task.

Day 1 Hook up with group and head out on the road @ 6 am up highway 62

First stop, Bancroft and Tim's smile.gif Its a small town that we used as a launching point to attack the north & east side of the park.

tim_hortons.jpg

Now over to # 60 and up Openogo road to the south end of the Openogo lake and launch point hopefully by noon. That the outfitter store where everyone gears up with K rations etc.

35475952.jpg

Now into the boats and canoe to the northern arm of this huge lake in time to set up camp before dark. Hope the waters not too rough or cold?

JulianSpencerOpeongo1.jpg

I am sure he'll see lots of wildlife, moose, deer, bears and hear some loons and wolves too. But I've been teaching him how to track and what Bf signs to keep an eye out for. which is his secret mission, if the others knew they would be too scared to go. There's been some sightings in this area by both staff and park visitors. Also last fall in the northern section of the park where he's heading this picture was taken. hoax ? Who knows but there been plenty of Bf activity in the park so just maybe?

Nik%20Nik2.jpg

The first portage will be a big hump and then down into Big Crow lake but that's tomorrow's post. smile.gif

Edited by tracker

Guest Dudlow

B) That is absolutely wonderful news, 'tracker'. I've done that particular Algonquin route and others many times since the late 1960s.

As for Squatchy in the Park, you're damned right he's there! I can assure you they are quite used to dealing with and having their fun with humans. How many distinct clans there may be is, at this point, conjecture; but I feel there are at least four clans in the Park that I and my buddies have encountered, ranging far and wide across the expanse of the Park. A few of the Ranger staff are well aware of BF being there but they didn't like to talk about it much. I think they are quite protective of them and like to keep BF related things on a low profile -- don't want to scare those precious tourist dollars away.

I could tell you some hair-raising and also amusing stories about BF related events in the Park and so could a good buddy of mine, but I won't bore you with that at present. As you may already know, the BFRO unofficially went into the Park via Canoe Lake (to the East of Opeongo) three years ago this September and reported a number of Class B experiences. I don't know if they have been back or not. Personally, I hope they haven't returned.

Hopefully your son will have an enjoyable and safe sojourn. These are the memories that will last a lifetime! :rock:

- Dudlow

BFF Patron

Hope he has a great time and avoids those roots.

It's been over 20 years since I've done the lake to lake portages in AP and indeed it was the adventure of a life-time

Well before my BF days though so I was just looking for moose, wolves and loons. Great sunrises/sunsets and satellites.

Guest Dudlow
... the BFRO unofficially went into the Park via Canoe Lake (to the East of Opeongo) three years ago this September and reported a number of Class B experiences.

B) Just correcting my own posting here. Canoe Lake lies to the West of Opeongo, not to the East. My bad. Why'd I do that, anyway? :blush:

- Dudlow

Edited by Dudlow

Guest tracker

B) That is absolutely wonderful news, 'tracker'. I've done that particular Algonquin route and others many times since the late 1960s.

As for Squatchy in the Park, you're damned right he's there! I can assure you they are quite used to dealing with and having their fun with humans. How many distinct clans there may be is, at this point, conjecture; but I feel there are at least four clans in the Park that I and my buddies have encountered, ranging far and wide across the expanse of the Park. A few of the Ranger staff are well aware of BF being there but they didn't like to talk about it much. I think they are quite protective of them and like to keep BF related things on a low profile -- don't want to scare those precious tourist dollars away.

I could tell you some hair-raising and also amusing stories about BF related events in the Park and so could a good buddy of mine, but I won't bore you with that at present. As you may already know, the BFRO unofficially went into the Park via Canoe Lake (to the East of Opeongo) three years ago this September and reported a number of Class B experiences. I don't know if they have been back or not. Personally, I hope they haven't returned.

Hopefully your son will have an enjoyable and safe sojourn. These are the memories that will last a lifetime! :rock:

- Dudlow

Yea i know there's a few groups in there mostly spread out in the north country. Pm me with your stories or post them in my on the hunt thread?

I am a little concerned with the nasty storms that follow heat waves and the forest fire danger. Further west the got over 120 forest fires to contend with. That's one of the things i don't miss about being in the Army. Being plucked to go fight the extreme conditions of those fires. I rather do SAR detail in the extreme cold than do that.

And no worries about BFRO and other orgs crashing one of my search / hab areas. But that's another thread. smile.gif

Guest tracker

Hope he has a great time and avoids those roots.

It's been over 20 years since I've done the lake to lake portages in AP and indeed it was the adventure of a life-time

Well before my BF days though so I was just looking for moose, wolves and loons. Great sunrises/sunsets and satellites.

Wow Bp you must be really old biggrin.gif

The Bf's have become more numerous because of the perfect conditions in that park. Even south of 60 there been reports, I was just there this spring (on the hunt thread) but I may go back this fall? Winter is a good time too if you can handle the cold and deep snow?

Guest tracker

after yesterday long hard day nature has it's own rewards.

OP120064.jpg

Okay here's big Crow lake stage 2 and day 2 of their journey.

BigCrowMap.jpg

Being awakened by pesky Raven alarm clocks in time to see morning fog on the lake.

A029.jpg

A nice site for a larger group

BigCrowCS3firepit6.jpg

I am sure they are seeing lot's of wildlife on Big Crow

IMG_1539-moose.jpg

watch out for these cheeky thieves!

OP230109.jpg

using the linking access creeks and rivers to save on ******* heavy canoes and gear over steep terrain heading east to get to the next lake. lake Lavielle and day three.

day%207%20testing%20the%20crow%20river.jpg

Guest tracker

Day three and now up the creeks and rivers with paddles and over to Lake Lavielle

wakey wakie eggs and backey,

darn squawking ravens @ 4 am

raven2.jpg

morning comes early

3507026.jpg

heading east

10b-7346.jpg

Lake Lavielle

4981078236_1aafd95e4a.jpg

another long day

5537878706_50f51869c6.jpg

Edited by tracker

What an awesome experience for your son!!! I'm envious!

Wishing him and his friends a safe and fantastic journey!

Guest tracker

What an awesome experience for your son!!! I'm envious!

Wishing him and his friends a safe and fantastic journey!

Hey thanks, it finally cooled off a bit up here. So I am sure they are doing better now. Lots of swimming. He may go to school to learn to be a Ranger? smile.gif

I've done the northern leg of this trip a long ways back. Don't ask. dry.gif

yesterday they definitively had to do some portaging around rapids on the river heading east

bowron4.jpg

10c-3044.jpg

next stop lake Dickson

Edited by tracker

So Tracker, do you have a satelite connection so you can post pictures?

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Guest tracker

So Tracker, do you have a satelite connection so you can post pictures?

Thanks for keeping us posted.

I wish smile.gif

I know the route and Algonquins canoe routes have been well documented. He's a kid so he'll probably have a hundred pictures of him and his buddies goofing off and only one shot of each camp spot or lake? biggrin.gif

cheers.