Knife Thread...It's about time.

Kiwakwe

7 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

Gulldang, them's purty, BRB!

Those are Jess’s knives.  The ESEE 3/Armatus combo is like her signature knife.

BRB - those ARE great-looking knives. Thanks for sharing. I can see the difference in the handle. I'm switching to the extended. In the past, when choosing a handle, I always got the bright orange. I wanted to be sure not to lose it if I set it down. Some of the earth-tone handles are very attractive. I may go that route.

I wrapped my IZULA using bright-orange paracord and it is very grippy even when wet. Rethinking that too.

TKC offers G10 handle and a linen micarta handle with burlap for the ESEE4.  Any idea which provides the best grip?

Edited by wiiawiwb

8 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

BRB - those ARE great-looking knives. Thanks for sharing. I can see the difference in the handle. I'm switching to the extended. In the past, when choosing a handle, I always got the bright orange. I wanted to be sure not to lose it if I set it down. Some of the earth-tone handles are very attractive. I may go that route.

I wrapped my IZULA using bright-orange paracord and it is very grippy even when wet. Rethinking that too.

TKC offers G10 handle and a linen micarta handle with burlap for the ESEE4.  Any idea which provides the best grip?

I think that the TKC g10 offers a better grub for someone who is going to use their knives.  The linen micarta looks better, though.  

The extended grips really change the whole feel of the 3.  I highly recommend the Armatus Carry sheaths,too.  The ESEE stock sheaths are completely serviceable, but the Armatus are easier to draw from one handed with that thumb push off.  If you plan on normal vertical belt carry they may not work for you, but they work great with horizontal carry, lashing on MOLLE, or vertical carry on a pack strap.

We were talking about HPG bags in the pack thread.  The Armatus carries really well on the front of their Recon models.

E171E57A-D2AF-4F34-AE7F-2DF13829561F.jpeg

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Upvote 1

Here's my ESEE4 and Izula neck knife.  I think they both are in need of new handles especially the Izula.  They've been used and abused and still do an excellent job.  You can get both razor sharp.

1064333911_ESEE4andIzulaneckknife.thumb.jpg.400d4c291b8b14c2d8e8e6a7655733d5.jpg

Edited by wiiawiwb

Using dads whet stone to get my Gerber sharp again. I used it to dig on the Chev when I was stuck this Dec. That whetstone is older than I am....

C365C2DE-EEB6-407C-B88B-49C7C43D67D4.jpeg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, norseman said:

Tech Bowie

7766E247-A6DD-4B62-B3E7-F3020773C5CD.jpeg

Uh oh.  

Flat lay challenge time...

C5BED5B8-B45A-455D-BB38-9C69F8E4518C.jpeg

Bark River Marauder 

Blackjack Knives Halo Attack 5

A52FFCC2-D89B-401F-9EE0-BB62B6F96854.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Picked up an early 70s Westmark 701 for the old ball and chain.  An absolute beautiful piece of cutlery art.

EB541EB6-9D3F-43E9-B291-676774609276.jpeg

• Upvote 2

That is a gorgeous knife and in great condition. How does it feel in the hand? It's got a choil to be help with fine work. Nice find!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

That is a gorgeous knife and in great condition. How does it feel in the hand? It's got a choil to be help with fine work. Nice find!!

The craftsmanship is superb.

It feels great in the hand.  That oversized pommel really balances it nicely.

That is gorgeous, BRB! I'll bet she was thrilled! No wonder she sticks around with you! 

Any idea what kind of wood that is? And will the spine strike a spark on a ferrocerrium rod?

58 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

That is gorgeous, BRB! I'll bet she was thrilled! No wonder she sticks around with you! 

Any idea what kind of wood that is? And will the spine strike a spark on a ferrocerrium rod?

‘Genuine wood’ is the only description that I have ever seen.  

The spine has a sharp angle, but she carries a dedicated ferro rod striker. 

These Westmarks were made by Westen Cutlery before Western was bought by Camillus.  

Figured I would post a picture of it while it is still pretty.