Knife Thread...It's about time.

Kiwakwe

@wiiawiwb

let me know how you like that SAR bag.

I use paracord secured with one of those spring loaded barrel clamps to secure the ends of the cord.  It is easy get on and off.  

I picked up my grail knife a few weeks ago…a Cold Steel Recon Scout in 3V steel.  It’s like a Fallkniven on steroids.  I hate the Cold Steel sheaths, so I had a Randall type sheath made for it.  

The perspective is odd on this photo and the blade looks shorter than it actually is…but, it gives you a good idea of the setup.

CC764E6A-51A3-4241-840F-948CBB18EC5D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthWind said:

Nice, BRB!

Thanks!  It’s a beast.  The handle on these even tolerate chemicals better than a lot of other rubber/polymer handles knives.  Which is good, because I will be slathered in bug spray in not too many weeks.

Cold Steel has a mall ninja rap, which is honestly well deserved and not even a bad thing in my mind.  However, they turn out some fantastic user knives…especially the folders.  I have yet to come across another company that puts out anything comparable to an SR1, 4Max, or even a Voyager.  

Unfortunately, they got sold to a large outdoors consortium…so the quality will probably begin to slip away.  I am tempted to grab another one of these Recon Scouts to put back…although I honestly don’t see myself ever breaking this one. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/15/2022 at 2:12 AM, Madison5716 said:

@wiiawiwb, is that chest rig by Hill People? How do you like it? I was looking online at those today.

Yes, both are. The HPG SAR bag on the left and the Original Kit Bag on the right. I've always said that the HPG chest pack is the best piece of outdoor equipment I've ever owned in my life. There isn't a close second. I never enter the woods without it.  When I backpack to a location, once there I remove the backpack. The chest pack stays on me at all times until I get inside my sleeping bag.

Invariably, accidents happen when you least expect them. You could be prepared and have tons of survival gear in your backpack. You take your backpack off and wander down to the pond and, boom, a tree falls on you or you tumble down the side of a hill, and now you're in a survival situation with all your gear in the backpack. You're toast. That's one of the many reasons the chest pack is never off me until I go to sleep. I can survive in the middle of winter with just what I have in my chest pack.  It won't be pretty but I'll make it until the cavalry comes.

The SAR or OKB holds just about any size handgun you own. It is quick to open and draw from. Even if you don't carry, you can have with you all the items of survival you need. When you unzipper the main compartment the outer area folds down and acts like a shelf.  One of the best features about it is it allows you to "dock" the chest pack to your backpack. That way the weight is fully transferred to the backpack and the chest pack feels weightless.

@BlackRockBigfoot  The SAR and the Original Kit Bag are one in the same except the SAR has the molle on the front and the velcro strip. It also comes in red which the OKB doesn't. I already had the OKB, which is the chest pack on the right, but decided to get the SAR so I could attach my knife to the front of it.  I also wanted a second one for times I go out with friends and let them borrow the OKB and a backpack.  I highly recommend either one.

@wiiawiwbIn one breath, I have waaay too many knives. But now that I am single again, I don't have enough!

@BlackRockBigfoot, What company made that beautiful sheath? Not Randall, I assume. Am I reading "Savage" on the maker's mark? I really, really like my Patriot Leather company sheath. I love the look of used leather.

How does the 3V stack up against the VG10 core of the Fallkniven? Because I'm finding the VG10 to be superior to anything else I own. I'm kind of loooking forward to my Fallkniven getting dull, because outside of axes, I have no experience sharpening a convex grind. I'm assuming your new Cold Steel is a V grind edge?

57 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

@wiiawiwbIn one breath, I have waaay too many knives. But now that I am single again, I don't have enough!

@BlackRockBigfoot, What company made that beautiful sheath? Not Randall, I assume. Am I reading "Savage" on the maker's mark? I really, really like my Patriot Leather company sheath. I love the look of used leather.

How does the 3V stack up against the VG10 core of the Fallkniven? Because I'm finding the VG10 to be superior to anything else I own. I'm kind of loooking forward to my Fallkniven getting dull, because outside of axes, I have no experience sharpening a convex grind. I'm assuming your new Cold Steel is a V grind edge?

@NorthWind

I will send you the link to his site.  I am in the process of getting sheaths made for all of my main knives.  Best sheath that I have ever owned.

3V is considered a next level steel, but honestly I don’t think that at that level we could tell the difference.  3V is probably tougher and holds an edge better, but again I don’t think the difference would be notable.

Yeah, it’s a V grind.  I have an easier time maintaining a V grind on the field.  I understand the benefits of a convex grind, but I still sometimes prefer the V.  

You can go the strop method for sharpening, but honestly I would just get the Work Sharp with the grinding attachment.  There is a setting to have a slacker belt for convex grinds and you could do your axes as well.  I use the Work Sharp for my Bark Rivers.  

• Like 1

A couple of mine. My go to Survival knife is my Kabar Becker BK9, and the other one is a Schrade Schf 36, I bought 6 years ago or so. Seems ok. Both carbon steel.

20180424_135717-1.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tahoma said:

A couple of mine. My go to Survival knife is my Kabar Becker BK9, and the other one is a Schrade Schf 36, I bought 6 years ago or so. Seems ok. Both carbon steel.

20180424_135717-1.jpg

That Schrade is a hidden gem of a knife.  Their reputation took a big hit (deservedly so) when they went 100% to China, but they have brought out some very good blades over the past several years.

• 2 months later...

Today, I did some morel mushroom hunting and bigfoot searching and just carried one of my larger folders.  It's a Camillus Titanium and the quick open action is garbage, but the blade is Aus 8, big, and a design I like, so I bought it on clearance for $28 last year.

IMG_20220508_155620774.thumb.jpg.8a38f2d1b28ec8e9b4601dc6100f162c.jpg

My everyday folder is one of those cheap Ozark Trail $4 folders from Walmart.  I have around 6 of them and found a couple that I really like for every day duties.  My other outdoor activity folder is a Benchmade Griptillian.

But, my main serious outdoor exploration/survival combo is my Ontario Rat 5 fixed blade in a custom kydex sheath and a Springfield Armory XDM OSP Elite 3.8" 10mm.

IMG_20220508_192852179.thumb.jpg.cccf30c1b67aba635a48605601ab9767.jpg

IMG_20220508_192606340.thumb.jpg.df968bcebed189d824f316ed80336f63.jpg

I found a gem of a knife that is a Chinese copy of an Esee 3 for $20 on Amazon a few years ago.  Great little knife and I loaned it to my dad when we were skinning a deer and his Gerber dulled too quickly.  He was extremely impressed with it, so I bought him one.  I have mine attached to my survival pack as a backup knife.

I4xYNiyURRexwU-VJCQv7w.thumb.jpeg.dfa36d688c9881eed5c87e52f9ca7013.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice, I love to see knives that get used.

I just picked up my first Ontario knife, and I am really liking it so far. I use it as a daily beater because I felt guilty putting my Benchmade 710 through what I put it through. Here's my Ontario Rat 1, in D2 steel, set up for lefty carry. Pardon the smudges.

image.thumb.jpeg.9ff9b819d2e501fd49ddf76f2f54b7db.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bought a new one, the Morakniv Garberg - full tang, black carbon steel. I like it. New fave!

20220602_212129.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• 5 months later...