Knife Thread...It's about time.

Kiwakwe

7 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

Asking for help, someone buy, and save me from, this Blackjack. Have been looking for a larger Bowie style for a while and already ordered a newer Bark River/Blackjack Model 1-7 then saw: https://www.ebay.com/itm/295036516041

1216500459_ScreenShot2022-11-08at8_49_54PM.thumb.png.97c2e8f8dd4623767158abf62a17cc8c.png

Oh, isn't that gorgeous! 

Probably not the best choice for the field, but there are certainly worse ones. I'll buy it off you for ten bucks.

16 hours ago, NorthWind said:

Oh, isn't that gorgeous! 

Probably not the best choice for the field, but there are certainly worse ones. I'll buy it off you for ten bucks.

Yeah, not a great multi use field knife but like a lot of situations in life, looks will get you the job. 

Especially with that capable pedigree...

BlackJack Halo 14 by Bark River. I wouldn't have opted for finger grooves but the price was right and it fits, despite its limited grip variation. 

Rounded up some high grit wet/dry sandpaper, leather strop and polishing compounds and made this convex ground chunk of A2 shaving sharp. 

Out in the Valley of the Skulls:

IMG_9055.thumb.jpg.568ff886aacd817507104de64dc69a47.jpg

IMG_9043.thumb.jpg.24a393b18fa4bd0bf72284bf2e8f682f.jpg

• Thanks 1

Very nice, @Kiwakwe, and a beautiful location, too. Love the leather. Personally I prefer that over Kydex any day. But it's difficult for lefties like me. Pretty long blade. I suppose that would work great to spread marmalade across your melba toast ever so gently. (What I used to tell my ex when I "needed" another new knife). Congrats.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorthWind said:

Very nice, @Kiwakwe, and a beautiful location, too. Love the leather. Personally I prefer that over Kydex any day. But it's difficult for lefties like me. Pretty long blade. I suppose that would work great to spread marmalade across your melba toast ever so gently. (What I used to tell my ex when I "needed" another new knife). Congrats.

Along with its ability to spread large quantities of marmalade, my choice btw, these US made quality blades will be collectors, they almost are now, they seem to sell out the minute released and are often scalped on the auction site for more than retail. In time I imagine they'll rival the Randalls in value. It's an investment for our future dear, I'm only thinking of you...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2022 at 4:57 PM, Kiwakwe said:

BlackJack Halo 14 by Bark River. I wouldn't have opted for finger grooves but the price was right and it fits, despite its limited grip variation. 

Rounded up some high grit wet/dry sandpaper, leather strop and polishing compounds and made this convex ground chunk of A2 shaving sharp. 

Out in the Valley of the Skulls:

IMG_9055.thumb.jpg.568ff886aacd817507104de64dc69a47.jpg

IMG_9043.thumb.jpg.24a393b18fa4bd0bf72284bf2e8f682f.jpg

I have a Halo 13 that I carry.  Great knife.  Mine is the Border Patrol grip.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I have a Halo 13 that I carry.  Great knife.  Mine is the Border Patrol grip.  

A new Halo Border Patrol 14 just went on that auction site, for a decent price, It was very difficult not to snag it, just because. Such a well built knife and I actually really appreciate the finger grooves. Thought they might be problematic but the ease/sureness in which it comes out of its sheath makes up for any shortcomings on hold IMO. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, NorthWind said:

I love that, @norseman. Gonna go play on their site for a bit now.

You might like some of these, also. I have one of their combat bowies (it's 17 inches long). Had it for 25 years or more now. Very durable, but too big now to be practical for me as an "older guy".  https://mineralmountain.com/shop

This one is very iconic! I like the quasi cross guard!

75722FB1-2328-4161-AC7E-78672B3CB20A.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NorthWind said:

I love that, @norseman. Gonna go play on their site for a bit now.

You might like some of these, also. I have one of their combat bowies (it's 17 inches long). Had it for 25 years or more now. Very durable, but too big now to be practical for me as an "older guy".  https://mineralmountain.com/shop

I have looked at Mineral Mountain a few times. I hear that they have some quality control issues nowadays, so i have never pulled the trigger.  

I have actually been using my ESEEs more than anything nowadays.  

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I have looked at Mineral Mountain a few times. I hear that they have some quality control issues nowadays, so i have never pulled the trigger.  

I have actually been using my ESEEs more than anything nowadays.  

I love my ESEE, too. But I am loving my Fallkniven Frej NL4 even more. Any excuse to use it in the field is a joy, even if all I am doing is digging out a splinter. It is my first convex grind knife, and man is it easy to touch up the edge and get scary (sexy) sharp again. If I had to have one knife for the rest of my life (life wouldn't be worth living), that would be it.

And the one negative regarding my Mineral Mountain Combat Bowie, is the scales they used. They are smooth micarta, and you may have or may NOT have heard, but here in Oregon we get our fair share of rain. A wet smooth micarta handle is just too slick. I ended up wrapping my handle with paracord. That helps a LOT. It is one heckuva chopper, made with 1/4" thick stock. Sad to hear they have had quality control issues. I have a friend who has one of their tapered-tang fighters, and he loves it.