Knife Thread...It's about time.

Kiwakwe

On 3/14/2023 at 11:54 AM, SasquatchPA said:

I just got these two Puma Knives. The top one is a 1981 White Hunter and the Bottom one is a 1972 Original Bowie.

Very Nice! Looks as if the White Hunter may be the fabled Pumaster Steel? Though I don't recall what that actually is anymore other than more carbon...

I much prefer the older sheaths, especially with the "sam browne" buttons over snaps, like your Bowie sheath . The new sheaths are leather but they feel plasticy.

Made up a slimmer, less "snappy" sheath for the Tak Grizzly and a universal dangler which enables quick fitting or removal of a sheathed knife from the belt and provides for lower ride thus an easier deployment of a long blade like the Grizzly. Works the same with the Battle Bowie sheath. Not field tested yet.

IMG_9387.thumb.jpg.1268e9daebfac4646a93a5d060809767.jpg

IMG_9388.thumb.jpg.036be32d5938ded2af45c16b491d9ffe.jpg

I'm probably just slow, but .. "dangler".   If you don't mind, please 'splain "dangler".   I've seen 'em, even had one on a sheath,  but heck if I can figure out how you'd use it, how it attaches to a belt or anything else.    I packed the thing in my pack for a short while then gave it away.   Otherwise nice knife, benchmade 162, but I couldn't figure out how to pack it so I got rid of it.

Getting ready for my dive trip with my son to Cozumel. This Navy Mk3 Mod 0 was owned by a K.L. Jones. I will mount this on my Ranger BCD.

I bought it off Ebay long ago.

AF739F95-C184-4DE3-A8FE-9BF002EF8FA3.jpeg

7 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

Very Nice! Looks as if the White Hunter may be the fabled Pumaster Steel? Though I don't recall what that actually is anymore other than more carbon...

I much prefer the older sheaths, especially with the "sam browne" buttons over snaps, like your Bowie sheath . The new sheaths are leather but they feel plasticy.

The White Hunter is 6375 made in Stainless Steel but the Bowie 6396 is made from the Pumaster Steel. 

i agree that the older sheaths are nicer. I actually just got a new sheath for the White Hunter yester in the mail from Puma. The original is getting pretty worn out on the strap  so I wanted to keep it from further wear and use the new sheath for actual use.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MIB said:

I'm probably just slow, but .. "dangler".   If you don't mind, please 'splain "dangler".   I've seen 'em, even had one on a sheath,  but heck if I can figure out how you'd use it, how it attaches to a belt or anything else.    I packed the thing in my pack for a short while then gave it away.   Otherwise nice knife, benchmade 162, but I couldn't figure out how to pack it so I got rid of it.

I made this primarily for the Grizzly's 9.25" blade, to carry it lower as unsheathing put my elbow in my ear.

IMG_9389.thumb.jpg.50a1eeb32eebecd5ad6685f660b0960c.jpg

IMG_9390.thumb.jpg.708acf21ab233a9d7f78678a91445106.jpg

The Benchmade sheath here appears to be missing the belt attachment loop. Is that now yours was situated?

953050407_ScreenShot2023-03-17at1_55_53PM.thumb.png.4b44178efe3ebba35586ba9df9430d63.png

Edited by Kiwakwe
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SasquatchPA said:

The White Hunter is 6375 made in Stainless Steel but the Bowie 6396 is made from the Pumaster Steel. 

i agree that the older sheaths are nicer. I actually just got a new sheath for the White Hunter yester in the mail from Puma. The original is getting pretty worn out on the strap  so I wanted to keep it from further wear and use the new sheath for actual use.

Nice. How does the new sheath compare to the old in your opinion?

13 hours ago, norseman said:

Getting ready for my dive trip with my son to Cozumel. This Navy Mk3 Mod 0 was owned by a K.L. Jones. I will mount this on my Ranger BCD.

I bought it off Ebay long ago.

AF739F95-C184-4DE3-A8FE-9BF002EF8FA3.jpeg

Nice, good choice.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

Nice. How does the new sheath compare to the old in your opinion?

The new one is darker leather and is embossed with the Puma logo. It is very similar in design and size to the original.

I do prefer the double stitching and brass rivets on the old sheath though. 

A9B851F8-22C4-4754-A934-7FF3A6089E26.jpeg

Edited by SasquatchPA

33 minutes ago, SasquatchPA said:

The new one is darker leather and is embossed with the Puma logo. It is very similar in design and size to the original.

I do prefer the double stitching and brass rivets on the old sheath though. 

A9B851F8-22C4-4754-A934-7FF3A6089E26.jpeg

Yep, ditto.

11 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

The Benchmade sheath here appears to be missing the belt attachment loop. Is that now yours was situated?

Exactly!   

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 8:34 PM, NorthWind said:

My turn. 

20210729_183130.jpg

I had one that rusted because i left it in that leather sheath over a winter once and I forgot to oil it..TOPS blasted it and coated it black!

Its not an official BlackOut version, but its black.  I should get a photo of it.

Years ago, I used to have a knife that had a rubberized handle. It was fantastic for outdoor-related activities as it was very grippy even when wet. The micarta handles of my knives now are no where near as useful when wet.

It wasn't an expensive knife and I don't remember the manufacturer but I've never had one since that is as adept and reliable in wet conditions as that knife.

Edited by wiiawiwb

13 hours ago, RedHawk454 said:

I had one that rusted because i left it in that leather sheath over a winter once and I forgot to oil it..TOPS blasted it and coated it black!

Its not an official BlackOut version, but its black.  I should get a photo of it.

That’s a wicked looking stabber!

7 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Years ago, I used to have a knife that had a rubberized handle. It was fantastic for outdoor-related activities as it was very grippy even when wet. The micarta handles of my knives now are no where near as useful when wet.

It wasn't an expensive knife and I don't remember the manufacturer but I've never had one since that is as adept and reliable in wet conditions as that knife.

I had a little Sog with a rubberized handle out camping with me once. I had to use bug spray...DEET...and had it in my hands. That stuff destroyed the rubber handle, just from touching it. Turned it gooey. Be careful with those. 

• Upvote 1