Knife Thread...It's about time.

Kiwakwe

9 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Years ago, I used to have a knife that had a rubberized handle. It was fantastic for outdoor-related activities as it was very grippy even when wet. The micarta handles of my knives now are no where near as useful when wet.

It wasn't an expensive knife and I don't remember the manufacturer but I've never had one since that is as adept and reliable in wet conditions as that knife.

For a long time my go-to fixed blade was the rubber handled Buck Vanguard.    Pretty good knife IMHO.   I definitely agree regarding rubber vs other materials in slick conditions .. wet, or blood/fat on your hands skinning or gutting, etc.

On 3/19/2023 at 12:11 PM, NorthWind said:

I had a little Sog with a rubberized handle out camping with me once. I had to use bug spray...DEET...and had it in my hands. That stuff destroyed the rubber handle, just from touching it. Turned it gooey. Be careful with those. 

That happened to an old Trailmaster of mine.  

Rubber handles are great for comfort and grip, not so good for durability.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of rubber handles. I just got this pre 1964 Puma SeaHunter. The blade is made of Stainless Steel. I don't think this thin has seen much use. I am pretty happy with the condition. 

SeaHunter.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Figured I would show a picture of all three of my Puma’s  for size comparison. I am hoping to get a Puma folder next. 

From what I can tell the Sea Hunter I believe was discontinued in the 80’s.

278D175B-829E-40B3-AFC7-72C169629051.jpeg

5 hours ago, SasquatchPA said:

Figured I would show a picture of all three of my Puma’s  for size comparison. I am hoping to get a Puma folder next. 

From what I can tell the Sea Hunter I believe was discontinued in the 80’s.

Nice collection! I like how Puma labels the points of the blade for which use where, never saw that before. Cool find, nice condition and box too. What's the sheath made out of, is that leather or?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

Nice collection! I like how Puma labels the points of the blade for which use where, never saw that before. Cool find, nice condition and box too. What's the sheath made out of, is that leather or?

The sheath appears to be treated leather but I can’t be certain. It is a very rigid sheath. The red binding feels like vinyl. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Necro-post .. ish .. but I found something that may interest some.    I'm a fan of the Cold Steel SRK.   Cold Steel makes a compact but only in a non-stainless.   5 inch blade, lighter.   Good concept.   I contacted them and suggested they make the Compact version in an upgraded steel.   They're available now as a distributor exclusive through MidwayUSA in CPM-3V steel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Knives NEVER go necro! Not that I need another but found this CS SRK, not the 5" though: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023440173?pid=708181

And a good deal on orange: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025870355?pid=310908

ETA: Ah, the 5" orange or black, good deal: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025877994?pid=635504

Edited by Kiwakwe
  • Upvote 1

On 3/20/2023 at 4:28 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

That happened to an old Trailmaster of mine.  

Rubber handles are great for comfort and grip, not so good for durability.

Years ago, I had a knife that had a black rubber handle. Best gripping knife I ever had. I could be out in the woods in the rain and could grip that wet knife without slipping at all and perform chores at camp.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

The very affordable AUS 10A Cold Steel 4Max Scout gets abused by a Viking and survives! Chops, batons,tosses on spear, pounds it into stump and uses it as a step for a 255lb guy, no loosening, no deflection:

$58 shipped from MidwayUSA: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022535845?pid=865346

Edited by Kiwakwe
  • Thanks 2

On 4/1/2024 at 5:36 PM, Kiwakwe said:

The very affordable AUS 10A Cold Steel 4Max Scout gets abused by a Viking and survives! Chops, batons,tosses on spear, pounds it into stump and uses it as a step for a 255lb guy, no loosening, no deflection:

$58 shipped from MidwayUSA: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022535845?pid=865346

I have the new 5 Max coming in now.  Should be here Monday.  

On 4/1/2024 at 5:36 PM, Kiwakwe said:

The 4 Max Scout is an insane value, if you can deal with the weight in your pocket 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2024 at 1:08 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I have the new 5 Max coming in now.  Should be here Monday.  

The 4 Max Scout is an insane value, if you can deal with the weight in your pocket 

I'm impressed! Very solid, incredible lock-up. I know you mentioned somewhere how well that massive Espada pocket carried, I've found the 4 Max Scout is barely noticeable, seriously--at least in a Carhart pocket, shorts may be a different matter. I picked mine up while headed N for eclipse totality, took it out of the box while driving (rural rd!) like a dope, flicked it open, closed it on my finger one handed, still bleeding 3 days later. They come very sharp! 

Let us know your impressions on the 5 Max!

Edited by Kiwakwe