COVID-19 and BF

WSA

One for the "Rank Speculation" file, but I can't help thinking about what the implications might be for BF populations in the face of a global, viral pandemic like the one gathering steam. I've long believed that the NA BF population took a hit when the Europeans landed in the New World, like the Native populations did as well. (The scope of that is something archaeologists  and anthropologist  have only recently begun to appreciate) The virus du jour now winding its way through the world's population? Who knows, but if this one proves especially virulent to the BF community, we may get our type specimen sooner rather than later. BOLO people!

Sasquatch and smallpox podcast...

Being distantly related to humans, Sasquatches would most likely suffer from various human afflictions as well, such as Chicken Pox, Measles, Mumps, Polio, etc. etc.

If one pauses to take account of the European invasion and its effect on the Native American population, you must consider that the same diseases wrought upon the indigenous people could have also had drastic affects on Sasquatch populations.

It very well could be that those who survived the onslaught of European settlement were those who took refuge in the most remote places on our continent, those very places that even today, remain nearly impossible to explore. Had a disease like Smallpox virtually wiped out tribe after tribe of Native American’s, this same disease could have brought already small populations of Sasquatch to the brink of extinction.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

this same disease could have brought already small populations of Sasquatch to the brink of extinction.

Yes, but we're probably doing a reasonably fair job of that anyway......without the help of some kind of disease. Even without the Bigfoot or any other creature to worry about, we're paying a pretty heavy price for our greed and consumption. In truth, we shouldn't be depending on proving the Bigfoot's existence to start saving and protecting our wild habitats. If the creature's elusiveness has taught us anything, it should be that little piece of reality.

Edited by hiflier
  • Like 4

Very interesting. I read a couple of days ago that numerous canines (in China and in Italy) have come down with COVID-19, and while canines and humans share strong similarities in gut microbiome, there would seem to be less DNA common to dogs and humans compared to what is common between Sasquatch and humans.

Dogs can get corona virus and many states require vaccination for it, my fathers dog almost died from it as a pup, it affects different species differently. thats my understanding at least :)

BFF Patron

The spread vector of the COVID-19 is interesting.      A couple of people have flown back to the US from China with the disease and no one yet seems to have gotten the disease that was on the airplane.   But several people on the West Coast have gotten the disease from unknown sources.     No contact with anyone from China and no travel connection.    It seems to be passed to healthcare workers.     Some must be sloppy with their protocols.    I am not surprised,   I have two doctors that insist on shaking hands when you come in for a visit.    I objected to shaking with my primary care doctor and he was downright insulted.    Probably the worst thing about it is that someone can have a very mild case and not know they have it.    And it is apparently infectus before you get signs of the disease.    Will be interesting to compare the death rate in the US against the 2 or 3 percent the Chinese have.    So far the US death rate does not seem that bad.    But the rate will increase as medical facilities get swamped with patients and protocols break down.   

18 hours ago, DrPSH said:

Very interesting. I read a couple of days ago that numerous canines (in China and in Italy) have come down with COVID-19, and while canines and humans share strong similarities in gut microbiome, there would seem to be less DNA common to dogs and humans compared to what is common between Sasquatch and humans.

Don't know where you read that. I saw today that one canine pet in Hong Kong was being tested and people there were saying the virus was detected in its nasal passage but that the animal wasn't showing any signs of infection. They surmised that it was something it picked up from the environment but said the dog wasn't showing any symptoms.

I've been curious why this virus has spread so quickly around to other countries and the two women in California that had to apparent contact with anyone so the origin of their contracting the disease was unknown. Overall? It would appear that what we might not be aware of is that the virus may now be atmospheric so it's reach became global in a relatively short amount of time? Is such a scenario possible? I know nuclear disasters can send particles into the atmosphere to be detected far downwind. Maybe this is what is occurring now with COVID-19?

Let's hope this isn't the case. But reports of first-time infections are coming in from Lithuania, Brazil, Mexico, and other seemingly unexpected, and un related geographical locations. The coming week may shed a bit more light on what is transpiring.

BFF Patron

The local news did some investigating and found out that while people from China and that province have been prohibited in the country on airplanes,   that ships crews from China  have been ignored and allowed to disembark and run round.   So far many of the places where it is cropping up have seaports.       California has two detention and treatment facilities and a large Asian population too.    While everyone thinks illegal aliens are mostly Mexican there are many Chinese and Asian illegals.     They would be afraid to seek treatment if not here legally.     Holes have to be filled up  or it will run amok through the population.  

22 minutes ago, hiflier said:

........ I saw today that one canine pet in Hong Kong was being tested and people there were saying the virus was detected in its nasal passage but that the animal wasn't showing any signs of infection. They surmised that it was something it picked up from the environment but said the dog wasn't showing any symptoms.........

Which means the dog can spread it without getting sick from it.

.......I've been curious why this virus has spread so quickly around to other countries and the two women in California that had to apparent contact with anyone so the origin of their contracting the disease was unknown......[

Both cases are near the Bay area, which is the center of Chinese-American culture in the New World. There is current a growing social movement to fight hate responses towards Asians here in California, which I suppose is expected, but will likely cause more problems than it will cure.

I just re-studied the history of the Spanish flu of 1918. It is essentially the same virus as covid-19 with a century of genetic evolution. Fortunately, humanity has had a century of medical evolution, too, but I'm afraid that a century of political, ideological, and social devolution might threaten us to a repeat of 1918-1920. Just a quick reminder; the Spanish flu of 1918 was the worse pandemic in recorded human history. It killed vastly more people in two years than the Black Death did in four. It killed 10% of humanity in just two years. A good, quick recap link is attached below. 

We're in for a ride, folks. Just the attempts to halt the spread of this monster will be disruptive to everybody, to say the least. 

As as far as sasquatches are concerned, they've quarantined themselves quite well. In doing so, they appear to be much wiser than the majority of homo sapiens on this planet. Unlike the variola virus (smallpox) which could be easily spread through contact with materials that came in contact with scabs and the fluids from pustules and sores, covid-19 doesn't widely infect materials. I suspect smallpox killed off many more sasquatches than either the Spanish flu or covid-19 will.

https://gulfnews.com/world/spanish-flu-1918-vs-covid-19-1.1582445160581?slide=2

42 minutes ago, Huntster said:

As as far as sasquatches are concerned, they've quarantined themselves quite well

It's not going to matter if the virus is an aerosol in the atmosphere. UNLESS they have an immunity to all kinds of corona strains like SARS and MERS. (We love our acronyms)

BFF Patron

The sasquatch self quarantine may very well be because humans made them sick when we migrated here after the last ice age.   For all we know their cannibalism of us ended for the same reason when europeans showed up.   If sasquatch did their migration in the ice age previous to the last one,   they would be extremely susceptible to human disease since they would have been isolated from humans for 130,000 years.   The NA had only been isolated for 14,000 and human disease brought in by europeans nearly wiped them out. 

There have been several people with active COVID-19 return to the US in Airliners and no one in the airplanes with them has gotten sick yet.     It must not be like measles and spread through the air.    At this point I would guess coughing and surface contact with hands are the most likely means of transmission.    I picked up a fish dinner at a restaurant last night and some guy was behind me in line coughing.   If I had been carrying a gun I likely would have shot him. 

I was in a chemical biological trained unit at one base when I was in the military.    Surviving in a contaminated environment is very difficult even if you are equipped and trained.    Just getting out of the suit after being contaminated is very difficult without help and a lot of training.   Touch the wrong thing in the wrong order and you are toast.    I doubt that most healthcare people not specially trained, have any idea what they are doing.    I see my doctors and dentists doing stuff that would kill them in a contaminated environment or if I had a disease.   .  

Edited by SWWASAS

17 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

I picked up a fish dinner at a restaurant last night and some guy was behind me in line coughing.   If I had been carrying a gun I likely would have shot him.

:O 

18 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

At this point I would guess coughing and surface contact with hands are the most likely means of transmission.

Thinking right now is that being 6 feet away from someone with symptoms or is a safe distance depending on maybe drafts or wind? It is also believed that after two days surfaces would be considered safe. If that's the case then maybe the virus will not be a threat as a widespread airborne contaminant. Of course if there is constant viral replenishment the risks will be greater. On that note it would appear that the Bigfoots will be safe at a distance.

BFF Patron
1 hour ago, SWWASAS said:

The local news did some investigating and found out that while people from China and that province have been prohibited in the country on airplanes,   that ships crews from China  have been ignored and allowed to disembark and run round.   So far many of the places where it is cropping up have seaports.       California has two detention and treatment facilities and a large Asian population too.    While everyone thinks illegal aliens are mostly Mexican there are many Chinese and Asian illegals.     They would be afraid to seek treatment if not here legally.     Holes have to be filled up  or it will run amok through the population.  

Unknown carrier case in Hillsboro OR may not have been near a seaport.

• gigantor locked this topic