COVID-19 and BF

WSA

BFF Patron

Portland,  Astoria,  Longview, and Kalama are seaports all within  50 miles of Hillsboro.     There are chinese ships at every one of them.   

Edited by SWWASAS

34 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

........I picked up a fish dinner at a restaurant last night and some guy was behind me in line coughing.   If I had been carrying a gun I likely would have shot him.......

In 2006, during a family trip to Vegas, we took a side trip to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Upon arrival, I was astounded by the number of Chinese nationals touring there and Hoover Dam. It was almost as noticable as the number of Japanese tourists who visit the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor. 

But, sure enough, there was one young fellow who was quite sick. He was coughing, draining, and slouching everywhere. For some reason, he really wanted to be near me. I left the area. I had a gun, but didn't shoot him. :guitar:

These cases on the west coast of infected people who have not traveled are simply proof that infected people are walking about among us. The genie is out of the bottle. 

BFF Patron
20 minutes ago, hiflier said:

:O 

Thinking right now is that being 6 feet away from someone with symptoms or is a safe distance depending on maybe drafts or wind? It is also believed that after two days surfaces would be considered safe. If that's the case then maybe the virus will not be a threat as a widespread airborne contaminant. Of course if there is constant viral replenishment the risks will be greater. On that note it would appear that the Bigfoots will be safe at a distance.

An uncovered cough spews out stuff for at least 15 feet.    I have seen some pictures of it someplace.    The masks don't protect you so much as collect the spew of the cougher.      I luckily have two boxes of the N95 masks.     I need them to mow the lawn and not give myself an asthma attack.     I tried to order some more from Amazon and they say that they are unavailable and have no idea when they will have more.     The ones I have are cloth and I think if I spray them with alcohol they might be used several times.   People should get latex or plastic gloves too.     They might still be available.   If it gets bad you should not leave the house without gloves and masks.  

People from Asia are so used to being in crowds that when they get a chance to spread out they don't.    They look like schools of fish in an airport sometimes.   

Edited by SWWASAS

BFF Patron
22 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

Portland,  Astoria,  Longview, and Kalama are seaports all within  50 miles of Hillsboro.     There are chinese ships at every one of them.   

Person in Hillsboro was a school employee, maybe she was eating Chinese with a Chinese merchantman then. 

My feeling is that the sieve leaked pretty badly in the early days of the outbreak and public health did not keep up with it. HELL they couldn't come up with a valid test for weeks as they made a strategic mistake. Algorithmically and exponentially, one case leading to two or more is going to doom the PNW with that one fatal case in a supposed compromised 50 year old now.  That should be alarming enough to warrant special considerations for travel to the west coast and among the states of the PNW specifically even in healthy younger adults that care about living to a ripe old age. I don't know about the rest of you re: the randomness of life, but I'm not going to take it well if I am in a vector because of my travels. I will restrict my adventures until things shake out in November. 

Edited by bipedalist

BFF Patron
27 minutes ago, bipedalist said:

Person in Hillsboro was a school employee, maybe she was eating Chinese with a Chinese merchantman then. 

My feeling is that the sieve leaked pretty badly in the early days of the outbreak and public health did not keep up with it. Algorithmically and exponentially, one case leading to two or more is going to doom the PNW with that one fatal case in a supposed compromised 50 year old now.  That should be alarming enough to warrant special considerations for travel to the west coast and among the states of the PNW specifically even in healthy younger adults that care about living to a ripe old age. 

You just have to be unlucky enough to eat at a restaurant where someone that has it has just eaten at your table, or use the bathroom right after someone with it has.   Washing hands really good takes care of the bathroom but restaurants especially buffets are a really bad idea now.     Waitresses pick up dirty plates and serve food without washing hands between.   The safest place to eat out is probably fast food now because food containers are all thrown out and only one person has touched the food container.   Speaking of travel I am supposed to go to San Diego on Monday.     Not crazy about being in airports right now.   Already postponed the trip once.    

The other possible Chinese link to Hillsboro is that Nike,  Intel,  Columbia Sportwear,  Delta Products,  and several other tech companies that regularly have employees traveling to and from China have campuses in Hillsboro.    Some have already said they are letting as many as they can work from home.   The number of potential Chinese contacts in Hillsboro probably numbers in the hundreds.  

Edited by SWWASAS

BFF Patron
24 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

You just have to be unlucky enough to eat at a restaurant where someone that has it has just eaten at your table, or use the bathroom right after someone with it has.   Washing hands really good takes care of the bathroom but restaurants especially buffets are a really bad idea now.     Waitresses pick up dirty plates and serve food without washing hands between.   The safest place to eat out is probably fast food now because food containers are all thrown out and only one person has touched the food container.   Speaking of travel I am supposed to go to San Diego on Monday.     Not crazy about being in airports right now.   Already postponed the trip once.    

It goes without saying too, that PDX was noticeably absent from initial airline screening arrivals in this country in favor of Seattle and other west coast aerodromes.  My first words out when I learned that were what about pdx? Not that it would affect this particular provisional case.  What about the others? I'd be worried about San Diego just like I'd worry about Long Beach where cruise and mechant ships are no longer unloading or docking at anywhere near normal rates.

Edited by bipedalist

BFF Patron

The difference is that Portland does not have direct Chinese flights.     Seattle and the rest initially identified do.        Portland does have Japanese direct flights.   Presumably,   those arriving from China routed through Portland would be checked at their US arrival port of entry,  like Seattle,  San Francisco, or LAX.    One person having the disease,  jumped quarantine,  traveled to another asian airport outside of China,   then flew direct to the US.    Those kind of people should be arrested and have huge fines.  

1 hour ago, SWWASAS said:

........ I luckily have two boxes of the N95 masks.     I need them to mow the lawn and not give myself an asthma attack.     I tried to order some more from Amazon and they say that they are unavailable and have no idea when they will have more........

Hmmm.......I have a bunch at home in Alaska. Pretty soon, they'll fetch a really good price.........

This is certainly an evolving situation that gets more concerning by the hour. Hiflier, you suggest above keeping a distance of 6 feet may be a safe. I've read material from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that 5 feet is the minimum, so great advice.

Way back in the time of SARs (seems like some movie line) I was on a team of colleagues that put together a pandemic plan for the company we collectively worked for. Simple stuff can really help reduce the likelihood of infection (and this applies to the common cold as well as to COVID-19). Corona viruses are commonly transmitted via a cough or sneeze, and the virus can live an extended period of time on solid surfaces (I've seen a couple of different numbers - 48 hours and a much more intimidating 5 days). The advice from the CDC seems sensible....wash your hands (thoroughly, not the typical rinse in the sink...hum "Happy Birthday" to yourself twice while scrubbing with soap), avoid touching your face, use hand sanitizer if that is available to you, and if you are sick, stay home. And if sick and showing signs of respiratory compromise, don't hesitate to seek help from a health care professional/institution. That advice won/t help the big guy, so thankfully s/he can rely on the safe distance approach!

I work in a preschool, and we just got a letter from the state saying everything is being blown out of proportion and to wash our hands and follow healthy practices. 

Schools are petri dishes. Fun times.

I sometimes lesve gifts for the possible bigfoots. Maybe I'll stop if this gets bad.

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bipedalist said:

.......My feeling is that the sieve leaked pretty badly in the early days of the outbreak and public health did not keep up with it........

After re-reading the story of the 1918 Spanish flu, it was pretty much a given that covid-19 was going to spread. WWI international travel at the time spread it around, but remote Alaskan villages were decimated. There was a 90% death rate in some areas of remote Alaska. All that in under two years. 

Now consider travel today. Moreover, there were people screaming over travel halts to and from China. Such restrictions to other areas of the Pacific Rim, even today, will meet with howls from people with business, family, and ideological agendas.

Amazingly, Africa is not reporting much infection yet. But when it does........

2 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

.........   One person having the disease,  jumped quarantine,  traveled to another asian airport outside of China,   then flew direct to the US........

That's how it happened. How do you stop it?

Admin

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

That's how it happened. How do you stop it?

Well, you don't really stop it. It just needs to be put into perspective. There are already four coronaviruses that we have experienced since the early 2000's. And as frightening as this new one seems it may run it's course like the others and become part of the Human disease experience. coronaviruses have been gradually working their way into the world at the Human level and this novel version doesn't appear to mutate any faster that the others of it's kind. At least that's what the scientific investigators are saying. We're a global community now even more so that just 15 years ago and so should expect this kind of relatively quick spread after two months or so.

Not saying it's good mind you but it doesn't appear that the rate of mortality is any greater with this particular strain. I feel bad for the ones who may succumb to this disease because of pre-existing health issues which does seem to be a factor as it is with other similar conditions of infection. I think we are all aware that as bad as this appears, it's not like everyone who gets the malaise is perishing as harsh as that may sound. 

Edited by hiflier

29 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Well, you don't really stop it. It just needs to be put into perspective. There are already four coronaviruses that we have experienced since the early 2000's. And as frightening as this new one seems it may run it's course like the others and become part of the Human disease experience........

Yup. Early estimates are forecasting 550,000 to 4.5 million infected, and at a 3% fatality rate we're looking at @ 17K to 135K dead. I think we can expect that, and consider ourselves lucky if that's as bad as it gets. 

• gigantor locked this topic