COVID-19 and BF

WSA

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 8:17 PM, Kiwakwe said:

Between 291,000 and 646,000 folks die from the seasonal flu every year as a matter of course, 2018 had 1.35 million die in traffic accidents, 2016 had 1.6 million die from diabetes but neither tanks the stock markets

That's because the markets heavily depend on the supply chain to the consumers and influenza, traffic accidents, and diabetes doesn't affect the world's supply chain of goods to consumers. If someone on a Princess Cruise ship had the flu? Everyone on board would be ashore and going home. But nope, Covid 19 gets you quarantined at a military base.......IF they even let you dock and get off the boat. What's going to happen to all of the container ships coming from China with raw materials, and everything else that China makes? Is everything going to be slated for disinfection before anything is loaded onto a truck or airplane for shipment and delivery around the country?

Look at the current state of the world's airline industry. Photos of empty terminals and flights cancelled. And that's WITHOUT a public panic. It's all been due to decisions made by corporations and governments mainly to STOP a panic. Because in the long run, corporations and governments alike need consumers that will trust and follow them......and eventually get back to spending lots of money and paying lots of taxes. Kinda lets everyone know where the real power lies.....with the consumers. I mean imagine what would happen if consumers didn't buy shoes or cars for just one month. Consumers wield WAY more power than they realize. Covid 19, if anything good comes of it, should at least show us that.

Edited by hiflier

If they are susceptible, which I would assume they are because the other strands of flu and cold are transmittable to the other apes, they'd still have to be in close proximity to a carrier in order to get infected Even though the virus is right in their backyard, I would hope/trust that anyone in that region who has the virus or thinks they have it wouldn't even consider venturing so far out of their homes to take a hike through the woods. Our forest friends should be fine. 

I tell you what, if there are any survivors left by August, let's all meet at the Denver Airport and restart civilization. 

There are some general misconceptions here about viruses. They aren't living things, per se, depending on how you define life, but for all intents and purposes they can't reproduce. They have to hijack the RNA or DNA in a cell of the host or reservoir in order to replicate. They don't evolve, the host or reservoir does which affects the virulence of the virus. 

Viral vaccines are very efficient contrary to what one poster stated, that's why we don't have Polio in the U.S. anymore. The reason flu vaccines are less effective is because there are numerous flu viruses floating around and the vaccine only covers 3-4 of the most common ones you are likely to be exposed to in any given season. 

I'm not going to panic over this, what's the point? I can't do anything about it until they develop a vaccine. I'm in the group most likely to drop dead from Covid-19 so if it happens, it happens, otherwise, I'll see you guys in Denver.  

I’m an RN at a good sized urban hospital (350+ beds) in Minneapolis. Our hospital has exactly 20 negative air flow rooms that would be used for patients with this disease. Most other hospitals would have similar ratio of isolation rooms to ours, it’s prohibitively expensive to make all the rooms negative air flow capable. We’ve heard through the grapevine that in Washington state it’s already impossible to place all the patients in an appropriate iso room and that the state has basically told all the hospitals to place patients wherever they have room. We’ve heard MN will grant the same waiver here because they already know there just isn’t enough physical space to place all patients in the appropriate rooms. MN has just had its first 3 confirmed cases this week. It’s only a matter of time before it hits my hospital. I work in the in-patient psychiatric unit. This potentially the worst place to work in the hospital because the patients share communal space and have groups and therapy all day long and many have quite lengthy stays. We also have visitors every evening so it’s just a matter of time before the virus is brought into the unit and runs amok. 
All that said, we have been getting daily updates for about a month and the hospital is allegedly “prepared”. If you have relatively good health this shouldn’t be life threatening. We also have many snowbirds in MN so this time of year the older population is smaller (thank you Florida, Arizona, etc). It’ll be interesting to see how this effects some of the warmer states vs colder northern climates. 

I relocated my wife and kids due to a Bigfoot habitation problem reguarding them...I relocated them to Arkansas at the first of Jan...well as of noon the first confirmed Coronavirus case in Arkansas is the town I relocated my family to...so I'm in Arkansas already to get them out of town..

• Sad 1

Due to Covid / Corona? It's a flu, like other influenzas. A little more dangerous to the elderly.

So little is really known about the progression of Covid-19, in all seriousness, I think we are anticipating the worst case scenario and hoping for the best. As for moving your family around, bigfoot infestation would definitely be a reason to move IMO, but I don't think you can outrun a flu bug that's eventually going to spread nationwide.Just shelter in place and limit your contact with the public as much as possible until they get a vaccine developed. They got the H1N1 vaccine developed pretty quickly, in the meantime researchers are looking at antiviral medications, similar to what's used for HIV treatment, to help prevent the spread. Those antivirals actually worked in some case studies done in Africa during the Ebola outbreak. One physician in an African town, out of desperation, used it on his Ebola patients with good results but it has to be given at the first signs of symptoms. 

I was just joking up above about meeting in Denver, that was a reference to Stephen King's novel " The Stand" where an engineered super bug escaped a facility and wiped out most of the people in the world. All of the good folk walked to Denver and all the bad people left for Las Vegas. The bad people were led by the " Walking Man" who tried to arm nuclear weapons to blow up the good folk left in Denver. All of these novels, movies, and TV shows like the Walking Dead have truly aggravating this current situation creating more panic than actual critical thinking on what to believe when exposed to social media. Basically, the powers that be are guessing because they don't know enough about the disease to really predict how bad it will get. 

Edited by CallyCat

I have a 80 acre ranch and can quarantine them there alot easier than the city there in now..I tried to warn her last week this was coming and we needed to get busy putting things into motion before they confirm a case in Arkansas..some people just see it as the evening news and it's not going to effect them..  

my plan is only one person leaves and returns to the property with proper precautions...I'm locking the gate and limiting any contact with people off the property till it's under control..

Edited by AtariBfpics

Here is a link to the antiviral they are using to treat Covid-19: https://news.bloomberglaw.com/pharma-and-life-sciences/hundreds-of-corona-patients-allowed-to-try-gileads-ebola-drug

You're right Incorrigible, way more people die of regular flu every year, however, if this particular strain becomes rampant it could possibly cause more deaths. Flu kills anywhere from 290K to 650K each year IN THE WORLD. This particular strain could probably double that if it becomes pandemic. Still, no reason to panic, as it progresses we will know how to combat it it more effectively. I don't think it will get that bad. 

BFF Patron

This COVID 19 thing is a media political event.      No one seems to remember and are certainly not being reminded that the H1N1 swine flu infected 60 million Americans.      270,000 + were hospitalized,   12,000 + died.     No travel restrictions, no quarantines,  no mass event closures,  no political finger pointing.   

• Upvote 3

That’s probably why they are treating this different.   Trying to avoid 12k deaths and 270k infected.    I don’t believe the intent is to stop this or even really prevent it but to slow the spread so facilities and such can handle cases at a reasonable pace.   To many sick to fast and there are not enough resources to properly handle it.   

There’s no reason to panic but also no reason not to take precautions.   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

This COVID 19 thing is a media political event.      No one seems to remember and are certainly not being reminded that the H1N1 swine flu infected 60 million Americans.      270,000 + were hospitalized,   12,000 + died.     No travel restrictions, no quarantines,  no mass event closures,  no political finger pointing.   

*Political finger pointing follows*:

The 2009 swine flu, the same virus that infected @ 27% of humanity and killed @ 7% of humanity in tge two year period of 1918-1920, originated this time in Mexico. There was no way in Hell the American government at that time was going to even utter a peep about "travel restrictions" with Mexico when 5% of all Mexican nationals in existence at the time were already in the United States illegally.

• Upvote 1

• gigantor locked this topic