COVID-19 and BF

WSA

10 minutes ago, dmaker said:

That is interesting, considering the fact that the most crowded outdoor areas on the continent are national parks.

And that is admittedly not universal. Please note the national park, forest, monument, and other federal land closures in California alone:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/17/coronavirus-closures-announced-at-national-parks-in-california/

..........In the Golden Gate National Recreation Area:  Alcatraz Island, the Presidio Visitor Center, Fort Point, Golden Gate Bridge Welcome Center, Lands End Lookout, Marin Headlands Visitor Center,  the Nike Missile Site, Point Bonita Lighthouse,  the Bicentennial and Kirby Cove campgrounds.

• Muir Woods National Monument, including the parking lot.

• Point Reyes visitor centers and campgrounds

Eugene O’Neill National Historic Site, Danville

• Port Chicago Naval Magazine National Memorial, Concord

• Rosie the Riveter WWII Home Front National Historical Park, Richmond

• San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park

Other parks in California

Channel Islands National Park mainland visitor center, boat service from Island Packers

• Death Valley’s Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells visitor centers

• Joshua Tree visitor centers

• Lassen National Park’s Kohm Yah-mah-nee Visitor Center

• Redwood National Park visitor centers

• Sequoia/Kings Canyon visitor centers and the Giant Forest Museum

• Yosemite visitor centers, museums, hotels, restaurants, and shuttles. Click here for a full article on the Yosemite closures..........

As the ability to safely police government lands decrease, we can expect closures to increase.

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

That may be true in Canada, but Alaska has taken a different tact. I'm sure the rest of the U.S. has (or will) follow suit. It is based upon two precedents: 

1) "Never let a crisis go to waste."

2) Government shutdowns created by budget battles have aggressively included even open area recreational facilities under government control that weren't even fenced previously. Such parks were even secured with temporary fencing during such shutdowns by contractors, at taxpayer expense, and during the shutdowns.

The interesting thing about the current crisis is the power of both fear and the government to even shut down private recreational facilities. In my area, both private gun ranges I utilize are currently closed by government edict.

What government has NOT done thus far, however, is close off access to private land holdings in the wilderness. If I so choose, I can still retreat to my private land, surrounded by government land, and live in a tent. But even that can be shut down. For example, in San Francisco, by law, you can only leave your home under certain circumstances. Going from one privately held property to another can still be done.........at least now.........

I work for a Midwest trucking company and we are still fully operational in the Bay Area of N.cal.   Our customers are open and still receiving freight.   We have run into some closures but far less than I expected.   This is mostly on the East side of the Bay though,  I’m not sure I’ve had anything for San Fran specifically.

BFF Patron
1 hour ago, CallyCat said:

I'm a homebody so working from home doesn't bother me in the least. I even understand why we are in quarantine, but I do take issue with the way the news is handling all of this by contradicting themselves and even looking gleeful or panicked when they report the news.

So far 7 cases have rolled in at one of the smaller hospitals in my area, that means the larger facilities are probably seeing twice to three times that volume. It's starting to ramp up here in the southeast. I'm sure you've seen the posts on facebook about not taking ibuprofen while sick? That's not fake news, there is some indications from the research that it does worsen the virus so stick with tylenol. I have a pharmacist in the family and was told to buy extra tylenol because it's manufactured outside of the country and there maybe issues with the supply chain as a result of manufacturing delays related to the quarantine. 

My son in law in Colorado has the symptoms and got tested yesterday.    They just got back from the Galapagos and flew through South America and New Jersey to get home.     He was taking ibuprofen for some reason and feeling terrible until he switched to Tylenol.   I am not sure what my daughter was thinking because I heard days ago not to take ibuprofen.  Of course her primary news source is PBS.          He should get the result of his test in a day or two more.   I overnighted 6 N95 masks to them because they cannot get them there.   I had a stock of them because I have to wear them to mow my lawn.     If he has it my daughter will get it because of her exposure.  

The spring break crowd in Florida is going to swamp college towns with infected people when they come home.      They are ignoring all guidelines and drinking and swapping spit like they normally do.  Some places are starting to close the beaches to get rid of them.       Oregon and Washington have closed bars and restaurants except for those that have takeout.      In normal times I get sick from eating at many of the places in Portland.     Dirty, lack of food safety, and dodgy employees are very common in all the trendy places.    Being over 70 I am not even supposed to go into public according to orders by the Washington Governor.     Of course if I relied on the government to feed me they would starve me to death.     I listen to the radio a lot and government public service announcements are still saying lyme disease and forest fires are the only thing to worry about.  How long does it take to get them to put out something appropriate for what is happening?   

I just spoke to my brother on the phone. He's in Little Saigon in Orange County. He's noticed little change except a lack of certain products in the stores. But Orange County rules are now among the most stringent in the country. He says "good luck enforcing them".

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/03/17/oc-health-officials-set-to-close-dine-in-restaurants/

Sure enough, county officials are already backing away from them, but the attempt has been noticed.........

It is clear that officials will be reacting to events and pressures. A run on wilderness areas by terrified citizens fleeing a Lombardy-like environment will almost certainly cause gates to get closed and locked. And while that might not be so good for thoughtful people, it would certainly be good for rare sasquatches.

Michigan has closed all dine in places and bars as well and only allowing take out orders.   Stores around here are low on paper and cleaning supplies but that’s about it.    Meat, eggs, and dairy is hit or miss based on when you show up.    Other than that things are about normal here.   Not any real panic.  

So far we (my company) are only coming across select places closed for business.   The majority have just implemented new guidelines for delivery that limit human exposure/contact.   

I've worked from home for nearly nine years, so it hasn't really affected me professionally or financially except we're busier than ever now. I think the stores here are sold out of TP but otherwise well-stocked, and most restaurants are closed except for takeout and delivery. i actually intend to order takeout Friday night to do my bit for the restaurants. There are only four confirmed cases in my city (pop 120k or so) but I think more will be diagnosed in the next few weeks. Most of the grocery stores here have instituted "seniors only" hours in the morning which I think is a great idea. I hope everyone on the BFF has what they need and is keeping their spirits up.

Here in British Columbia, we have 271 confirmed cases, and they are increasing every day. The spike is starting to happen.. All bars and pubs in Vancouver are supposed to have been shut down. Some restaurants are still open, but only for take-out/delivery service. Layoffs are starting to happen. I. along with 4 others, was laid-off yesterday. We work at a gear and drive-train manufacturing machine shop. Almost 95% of our customer base is in the United States, and they've been sending us emails stating not to send them any of their products because there won't be anybody around to unload the trucks. Banks have announced mortgage deferrals for 6 months, but have said nothing about personal and/or auto loans. Likewise, nothing has come out yet regarding rent relief. A lot of people are going to be out of work by the end of this month. I'm afraid that about the only business that is going to be booming by the time this is all over is the bankruptcy business.

So, we are hearing that the Covid-19 has been here in the states longer than officials thought. probably up to 6-7 months longer.  If that is true, china had to know well into last summer something was up...

^^^^ Yes.   I've been hearing about that from another source.   Sounds promising.   Fingers crossed .. clenched.

MIB

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

My son in laws test came out positive.      His fever is gone and he is feeling better.    Has a dry intermittent cough.    Make sure you take tylenol for fever.   Ibuprofin made him feel worse and did nothing to control the fever.     He and my daughter are supposed to hole up at home for three weeks.   They will not even test her because it is presumed she will test positive and why waste the test.  They are in Colorado and have a good bunch of friends that are delivering stuff that they need.  

BFF Patron

Dean Koontzs was pretty close 38 years ago.   

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

• Upvote 1

From CNN, 8 minutes ago. OH, THE COURAGE!!

"As medical workers in Italy struggle to treat patients with coronavirus, a large number of them have contracted the virus themselves.

Seventeen doctors have died from Covid-19 and there are a total of 3,654 medical staff who are infected, according to the country's National Health Institute."

I am almost in tears.....

Edited by hiflier
  • Sad 1

If you wanna get sick..... go to the hospital. :/

Sorry to hear about the folks who have passed.

• Upvote 1

• gigantor locked this topic