2021 Bronco

norseman

Will it have a live axle like my old first gen Bronco, instead of IFS? I think all hard core 4 wheelers are waiting to find out. It would be nice if it has a small diesel as an option, or a hybrid version, to get decent fuel mileage.

Well, if it is IFS, it won't win over any Wrangler types. Ford seems to be claiming that it will be a competitor in that arena, so here's hoping.

OK, you can see it's IFS in the above pic, so no joy there. I still might be interested if they offer a really fuel efficient power train; I've been spoiled by my hybrid Outlander at 35mpg as its lowest average.

8 hours ago, BC witness said:

OK, you can see it's IFS in the above pic, so no joy there. I still might be interested if they offer a really fuel efficient power train; I've been spoiled by my hybrid Outlander at 35mpg as its lowest average.

The one to get is the Chevy Colorado with the baby diesel. The ZR2 has full lockers front and rear. Claims 33 mpg Hwy.

It seems the Bronco is like the Raptor.... set up for desert.

• 3 months later...

I really wanted to like the new Bronco, since I used to be a Ford guy.  But, they hyped it up years ago during the initial development claiming it would be a competitor to the Wrangler and stay true to the Bronco's roots.  But, the bean counters and official hand-wringers got involved and turned it into a soccer mom friendly neutered SUV based on the new Ford Ranger.  Which means no live axle, no V8, and likely no removable top.  Plus, it's a new Ford model, and based on the last three new Ford models I purchased, that means lots of shop time or being stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Where I live, breaking down in the woods can be deadly certain times of the year.  I won't trust my life to a Ford.

I bought a new Toyota 4Runner and have been happy with it so far...

O4aXk5IbSsGCkTOrL7nHnQ.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It looks cool but I'm with PNWExplorer, I've logged many thousands of miles of remote travel and cross country on the 36 year old Rover, granted I rebuilt the engine but still---No issue it's ever had couldn't be solved in the field(knocks on wood) It blew a turbo hose on I-80 which I was able to make a better version out of molded radiator hose from the next Orielly's and the starter jammed full of North Maine Woods nano-dust and I had to push start. My lady's new Ford Edge on the other hand left us stranded in the desert-- only 10 miles from the highway but annoying. I had all the gear in the Rover because well it was a 2 year old car.... dumb I know-- it was just a quick overnight says Gilligan. Anyway, electrical gremlin killed the battery. Couldn't unlock doors, move gearshift or open the rear door. Can't even tow the thing without a rollback even if one could've got it in neutral (I know now to pull off the side trim of the center console and access the works). Maddening, never again. 

Note to self, look at buying one used in 3 years.  I like a lot about it and being east coast I am not that hung up about not being 100%bullet proof.  Besides, I am a 100% Ford guy since my first car, 1967 1/2 mustang.

Edited by NCBFr

41 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

It looks cool but I'm with PNWExplorer, I've logged many thousands of miles of remote travel and cross country on the 36 year old Rover, granted I rebuilt the engine but still---No issue it's ever had couldn't be solved in the field(knocks on wood) It blew a turbo hose on I-80 which I was able to make a better version out of molded radiator hose from the next Orielly's and the starter jammed full of North Maine Woods nano-dust and I had to push start. My lady's new Ford Edge on the other hand left us stranded in the desert-- only 10 miles from the highway but annoying. I had all the gear in the Rover because well it was a 2 year old car.... dumb I know-- it was just a quick overnight says Gilligan. Anyway, electrical gremlin killed the battery. Couldn't unlock doors, move gearshift or open the rear door. Can't even tow the thing without a rollback even if one could've got it in neutral (I know now to pull off the side trim of the center console and access the works). Maddening, never again. 

I hear you. KISS principle.

But the older I get? The lumbar and heated seats feels nice on the back. AC. Sat radio. Navigation. Doesn’t ride like a buck board. Etc, etc. 

• Upvote 1