Tracking Upticks in Sightings

Arvedis

With conditions being what they are right now, it seems to be a good opportunity for BF to stretch his legs and be more bold. Fewer humans are seeking him out in his neighborhood.  It would be interesting to track any upticks in field cams, audio or video setups. I don't see 1 person operations violating social distancing mandates. Field research doesn't have to cease in these uncertain times.

We have had the same thoughts.

The only problem is that our main areas are accessed by use of federal and state forests.  They have had a pretty heavy hand in cracking down on people trying to use these areas.  The trails, forests, and lakes around here had far more people than usual when the shutdown first began.  The state came down pretty hard and those areas are patrolled.

They probably wouldn't find you in the woods, but your vehicle you drove to get there is another story.

It will be interesting to see if heavier activity keeps up for a short time after people begin to get outdoors again.  I also wonder if there will be a larger amount of trace evidence left... tracks and whatnot.

Our forests are open (with a couple problem exceptions).   The trails are open.   The trailheads, however, are closed, and so are campgrounds.   I have a message in to one of the national forests asking just how far I have to park from the designated trailhead (with a 4WD and serious mud tires, any old ditch will do) to avoid being ticketed.    I'm still awaiting a response.    I'll post if I get one.

MIB

8 minutes ago, MIB said:

Our forests are open (with a couple problem exceptions).   The trails are open.   The trailheads, however, are closed, and so are campgrounds.   I have a message in to one of the national forests asking just how far I have to park from the designated trailhead (with a 4WD and serious mud tires, any old ditch will do) to avoid being ticketed.    I'm still awaiting a response.    I'll post if I get one.

MIB

They were booting people's vehicles that were parked near Sumter, according to people who are in the area.

The area around Walhalla is heavily watched as well.  They were overrun by people from Atlanta who were coming up once the city got shut down.  They are on the alert for 'outsiders'.

4 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

They were booting people's vehicles that were parked near Sumter, according to people who are in the area.

The area around Walhalla is heavily watched as well.  They were overrun by people from Atlanta who were coming up once the city got shut down.  They are on the alert for 'outsiders'.

The pattern I am seeing on FB is there is more activity on private property. People are staying home maybe and seeing more maybe than they normally would if they had a regular routine. Kind of interesting to hear good sightings reports. I'm also reading the BFs are not disappearing dogs as they normally would be expected to do. Dogs are surviving face to face meets scared but intact.

Edited by Arvedis