Small time players in the big industry of Bigfoot YouTubing

Arvedis

3 hours ago, spacemonkeymafia said:

I like listening. Good entertainment to burn up some brain cells with

@spacemonkeymafia

There other ways to burn brain cells then to listen to crap like what these people are talking about. You can just roll a big fatty and sit back and enjoy that and never worry about these jokers. :thumbsu:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

•  

Never heard of the Squatch Detective, Russell Afford or the "Talking Squatch" video.  I'll have to check it out.

Michael Merchant has spent the last few weeks dissing the latest bigfoot tv show, and since I didn't watch it, I have little idea what he's talking about. In general, he cracks me up and I find him vastly entertaining. Some of his videos are fantastic, and I've saved them to the Playlist section of my YouTube channel as the best of the best.

I used to like MK Davis, but I think he's gone off the rails with the whole Massacre idea.

16 minutes ago, Madison5716 said:

I used to like MK Davis, but I think he's gone off the rails with the whole Massacre idea.

2nskfp.jpg.5b2cf69fb9f6d6a4f122852e4b5327df.jpg

• Like 1

BFF Patron
On 4/24/2020 at 7:47 AM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I would have to put Kulls into that group of Bigfoot minor celebrities that does more harm than good to the public interest in the subject.  

To each his own, but his self appointed role as Bigfoot evidence hall monitor rubs me the wrong way.  Hoaxes hurt the credibility of the field, but I think that he has latched on to the uncovering of frauds as his own way to Bigfoot fame.  Also, guys who play dress up to investigate loose a lot of credibility right off of the bat.  Is he looking for Bigfoot or going to initiate dynamic entry on its cave?  He is free to dress as he wants, but others are free to kind of look at it as larping.

I don't hate him, and if he is a friend of yours I mean no disrespect to you, but he and that Rictor guy are perfect examples of why I think that Isdahl got so popular so quick in the Bigfoot world.  The little bit of reading that I did on their social media showed constant mentions of Isdahl's status as on outsider and newcomer as being a point of contention.  Honestly, the Gimlin stuff aside, it smacked of jealousy.

It was just mentioned to me to look at Rictor's Instagram page for his artistic interpretation of the Bluff Creek drama.

Regardless of your feelings on him or the Bluff Creek Massacre, it is some funny stuff... even though it is pretty vulgar.

However, he is getting 10 or 20 likes per post.  Isdahl is getting thousands.  In a day and age where almost everyone is on social media, stuff like that can be a pretty good indicator of how the Bigfoot world is trending.  Expect Scott Carpenter to sell a lot of books this year.

Well, I'm not a friend, but I am neutral on his standing, pun intended,  because of the great work he did in ripping a new one for Todd Standing (did you ever review the extent of his work on that historically I might ask?); support against the MK Davis blood bath and others. I am not feeling a need to be defensive as there are certain elements of his SOP I would not choose to emulate but the reality of his Hall of Shame effort is there is real work behind it that others chose not to do or were too lazy to do comprehensively and if nobody does it then the same clownshow continues with added clowns ad infinitum. Rictor is an attention whore and BF no nothing, just piggybacked onto others bootstraps, Kulls is yards away from that end of the continuum, but those that know don't need arm-twisting for sure.  I am a no kill researcher and don't broadcast any other image personally and I have no "skin" invested in this game and nothing to prove.  People can research these personalities on their own, I sometimes feel a need to place some history to my posts since I have been here since BFF 1.0 which has been long enough to forget alot of names. 

Edited by bipedalist
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/24/2020 at 5:13 PM, spacemonkeymafia said:

Does anyone listen to Creek Devil with William Jevning? He can come across a little pompous sometimes.

William Jevning has a very low YT hit rate. He would have done better for himself if he stayed with Wes Germer on Sasquatch Chronicles.  He thought he was saving his reputation by leaving that show, only to find no one really pays any attention to his research because it is bland. 

On 4/24/2020 at 7:47 AM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

....that Rictor guy are perfect examples of why I think that Isdahl got so popular so quick in the Bigfoot world.  The little bit of reading that I did on their social media showed constant mentions of Isdahl's status as on outsider and newcomer as being a point of contention.  Honestly, the Gimlin stuff aside, it smacked of jealousy.

It was just mentioned to me to look at Rictor's Instagram page for his artistic interpretation of the Bluff Creek drama.

Regardless of your feelings on him or the Bluff Creek Massacre, it is some funny stuff... even though it is pretty vulgar.

However, he is getting 10 or 20 likes per post.  Isdahl is getting thousands.  In a day and age where almost everyone is on social media, stuff like that can be a pretty good indicator of how the Bigfoot world is trending.  Expect Scott Carpenter to sell a lot of books this year.

Rictor is a drama queen but a very low YT hit rate so not a lot of widespread influence. He believes he has influence because he appeared as a random invite on some BF reality show no one remembers. Personally, I think people in the in the BF community fear his over the top, cunning, artistic attacks.  He is an awkward presence at events but people try to be nice to him as a trade off instead of being torn apart by his high end video editing skills. Though that is no guarantee. He is super sensitive and turns on people for perceived slights against his character.

57 minutes ago, bipedalist said:

Rictor is an attention ***** and BF no nothing, just piggybacked onto others bootstraps, Kulls is yards away from that end of the continuum, but those that know don't need arm-twisting for sure.

Yea, totally different angles and personalities. The one common thread is both Rictor and Kulls keep a watchful eye on the BF community and are quick to mock people.

Edited by Arvedis

When I popped into Rictor's Instagram page he was challenging people to fist fight him at conventions.  He deleted those posts and reposted the artwork again without the comments.  

Between that and the vulgar (albeit funny in a juvenile manner) artwork, all I could think of is that Bob Gimlin is lessened by this idiot's support.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Arvedis said:

William Jevning has a very low YT hit rate. He would have done better for himself if he stayed with Wes Germer on Sasquatch Chronicles.  He thought he was saving his reputation by leaving that show, only to find no one really pays any attention to his research because it is bland. 

Jevning is an odd duck.

He left SQ because he was so worried about his reputation, but his Mr Black/Bob Garrett stuff did more to torpedo his reputation than SQ ever could.  

His show intro is flat out amazing and he usually has pretty interesting guests on.  However, his personality and voice doesn't lend themselves to radio/podcasts.  That, and the continual name dropping gets old fast.  I don't find many of the well known researchers that interesting, so I am not interested in hearing their names continually dropped in order to get some sort of weird Bigfoot street cred.

I enjoy listening cryptozoology podcasts while I am working, but there are honestly so few of them that are done well.  I couldn't do any better myself, so I understand the difficulty in making a good show.    

• Upvote 1

As of today,  the David Paulides vids at his Canam Missing project channel has modest stats in the 100k range and stays there. The pattern seems to be an initial uptick after posting a vid and then views taper off.  So no significant payoff for him. His strategy appears to be to post videos regularly to keep his fans engaged and hope that the views roll in.  He covers such fascinating topics as the origin of flute sounds in the woods.

My guess would be his livelihood includes payout from the Missing 411 streams. Same as Todd Standing gets reasonable payout from the Discovering Bigfoot streams.  Standing's YT vids get very modest traffic, except the controversial ones which have millions of hits spanned over a few years.

Expedition BF show clips has very low hits, comparable to the "she-squatchers."  The Finding BF streams (Destination America) has a few hundred thousand views over several months, not a big deal.

The HowToHunt fellow has low hits, comparable to Paulides.  Willing to bet he has the same pattern of a solid uptick after posting a new vid, but that's it.

Who is the KING of Bigfoot video streaming?  It's still Roger Patterson as far as I can tell. 

Edited by Arvedis

6 hours ago, norseman said:

I’m not impressed with any of them.

Like I mentioned elsewhere, the vast majority of the people who thrust themselves into the Bigfoot limelight are thoroughly unlikeable and don't bring much of interest to the table to justify their notoriety.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Let's use the analogy of wrestling to compare with bigfoot research. Amateur wrestlers make next to nothing in income. The events are attended by mostly just family and friends of the competitors. A crowd of 100 people at an event is considered a success. How many Olympic gold medal wrestlers can you name? I can think of one because there was a movie and book about him. Then there's professional wrestling. A billion dollar industry with household names. Fake as you know what. But the stadiums are packed full, Pay Per View money galore, merchandising, books, movies, etc, etc. Sensationalism secures interest. The real deal is boring. Real bigfoot research garners little to no interest in part because there's really not a whole lot to it. The woo, interdimensional/shape-shifting/invisible forest friends, UFO-connection, massacre-touting angle is exciting, dangerous and intriguing for the common lay person. The channels with the most views and subscribers are proof of this. 

• Upvote 1

I listen occasionally to podcasts and YouTube story channels, but it's usually the same thing, over and over. While the stories give an idea of what typical bigfoot behaviors are, I much prefer having my boots on the ground! It's more fun having a boring, nothing-to-see-here-move-along day in the woods than listen to stories of other people having adventures and experiences for the same amount of time!

• Upvote 2

Admin
On 4/25/2020 at 10:14 PM, bipedalist said:

I sometimes feel a need to place some history to my posts since I have been here since BFF 1.0 which has been long enough to forget alot of names. 

Hahaha...  me too. I remember Steve Kulls as a moderator, he gave me several warning points  :)

Rictor was also here for a while, he was ok when he was here. There is some original artwork he drew around here somewhere.

• Haha 2