Patterson-Gimlin

Ape Island

Patterson-Gimlin

• Upvote 3

Airdale

Thanks for sharing PG. Whatever the source of the "rock clacks", they suggest a good deal of power behind them. Honestly, as a shooter for over 60 years, the closest analog in my experience is centerfire rifle shots. My home is in the Elkhorn Mountains about five miles SSW of Helena, Montana, and gunshots are not uncommon, especially in the fall as hunters sight in their rifles before big game season.

• Upvote 1

Patterson-Gimlin
7 hours ago, Airdale said:

Thanks for sharing PG. Whatever the source of the "rock clacks", they suggest a good deal of power behind them. Honestly, as a shooter for over 60 years, the closest analog in my experience is centerfire rifle shots. My home is in the Elkhorn Mountains about five miles SSW of Helena, Montana, and gunshots are not uncommon, especially in the fall as hunters sight in their rifles before big game season.

Thank you . That seems reasonable to me. 

norseman

I hear waves. Are the waves moving rocks around and hitting each other?

MikeZimmer

Not quite a "little island."  :rolleyes:

"The island is 460 kilometres in length, 100 kilometres in width at its widest point, and 32,134 km² in area. It is the largest island on the West Coast of the Americas." Wikipedia

Many (maybe most) of the folks who live on the South East end have never driven to the North West end as far as I can tell.

There is mostly bush interspersed with logging roads here and there by the Juan de Fuca trail. I have in-laws who have lived and worked in that area for decades. So, a lot of bush up in the Juan de Fuca trail region, and one paved road, plus some logging roads. There are not all that many houses, and really no towns except Sooke near the start and Port Renfrew at the end.

I think that the trail might have been closed in relationship to Covid-19, although it is hard to see why that might be thought useful. Maybe it was for maintenance.

I am not sure if anyone would be hunting in April near the Juan de Fuca trail. I have not hunted in 50 years, and never on Vancouver Island, so I am not sure. Any hunters from VI who know? What game is open for hunting in April? Plinking at a can? Did not really sound that much like a gun to me., but that means nothing of course.

The rock clacking is interesting, but really, we can not really use it as evidence of much. Could have been a Sasquatch but we will never know.

BC witness
Posted (edited)

Mike, black bear and cougar opened for a spring season throughout BC on April 1st. Vancouver Island has an abundance of both.

Most of the "clacks" sound like small caliber shots in the distance, probably .22

Commercial fishermen along that coast are known to illegally shot seals, as they see them as pests, often tearing nets to get at the catch.

Edited by BC witness

MikeZimmer
18 hours ago, BC witness said:

Mike, black bear and cougar opened for a spring season throughout BC on April 1st. Vancouver Island has an abundance of both.

Most of the "clacks" sound like small caliber shots in the distance, probably .22

Commercial fishermen along that coast are known to illegally shot seals, as they see them as pests, often tearing nets to get at the catch.

Thanks for the information.  Best guess - gunshots? Yeah, commercial fisherman will shoot seals. Could have been that as well. A lot of could'as.

Yep, an awful lot of bear and cougar. We have had bears in greater Victoria, and cougar even in downtown Victoria a couple of times. Deer all over the place - the cougar probably think Victoria is a buffet restaurant.

langfordbc

I believe that is a very different sound than waves rolling rocks on a beach - I've been to several beaches along the trail and they look just like your video, Norseman. Knowing their general location it is pretty unlikely that somebody would be down the SW side of the highway shooting. There are no roads that go to the beach, only long, downhill hiking trails, often with stairways built as it can be quite steep. There are many logging roads on the NE side, which is where any hunters or shooters would be (and I have been many times myself). It is also a pretty remote stretch of highway between Jordan River and Port Renfrew.

There are certainly reports from this area, like this second hand one from China Beach in 1994. There is also another one of a woman and her son seeing one cross the highway just before dropping into Port Renfrew.

Of course I am not saying that I believe that the sounds are from a sasquatch, but knowing how remote they are (if in fact everything is as they say), I do find it compelling.

Eric

Hey everyone, my name is Eric and I recorded the audio in that video. If anyone has any questions regarding the recording feel free to ask and I would love to discuss. I can see how the recording could sound like distant gunshots, especially when listened to on phone speakers. However, these sounds were coming from the creek less than 50 feet from the tent. The origin is still a mystery to me.

• Upvote 2

NCBFr

Hi Eric -

Welcome to BFF.  You live in a really beautiful place.  Sounds can be really deceptive so while a really cool experience I doubt it will move the needle.  We do have a couple of audio experts but it is probably impossible to translate that recording to a definitive BF experience.  You know what you heard and experienced and my recommendation is to just be happy you might have heard something extraordinary.  I have recovered a couple of rocks I think think were chiseled by BFs to be used as crushing tools that if used would have made that exact sounds.  I have been planning to create a post here on them but honestly have been too lazy to pull it all together.  When I do I will make sure to include you in the post.

- Chris 

cmknight

The Juan de Fuca Trail is not for the faint of heart. It is very rugged in spots. There are ladders, stairs, log climbs, etc. The whole trail can take a week to complete. There are numerous reports of trailgoers seeing in-line trackways with 15"+ footprints on the beaches, that were not there the night before. Often, they go right by the set up tents.There are native stories of Sasquatch all along the west coast of Vancouver Island, as much of it is remote and uninhabited.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric
13 hours ago, cmknight said:

The Juan de Fuca Trail is not for the faint of heart. It is very rugged in spots. There are ladders, stairs, log climbs, etc. The whole trail can take a week to complete. There are numerous reports of trailgoers seeing in-line trackways with 15"+ footprints on the beaches, that were not there the night before. Often, they go right by the set up tents.There are native stories of Sasquatch all along the west coast of Vancouver Island, as much of it is remote and uninhabited.

I'd love to know more about reports from the Juan de Fuca and Kludahk Trail areas. If you hear anything be sure to keep me posted! I have autonomous recording units running out in the bush and I always love finding new spots to monitor.

• Upvote 1