Sign in to follow this  
Arvedis

The Orang Pendek Thread

Arvedis
Posted (edited)

Couldn't find a substantial orang pendek thread so i started one.  Found this as a discussion starter:

On 1/19/2017 at 2:16 PM, Cliff Barackman said:

Hawaii...  Personally, I didn't think that menehunes were there.  However, I was really curious about what the source of the menehune legend is.  With my work on the orang pendek in Sumatra, I wondered if there was a cultural memory of something like that which was causing the persistent legend of the menehunes to persist.  This expedition was sort of a cultural anthropology thing for me...  

After being there, investigating in the field, talking to historians, and doing some reading on the subject for myself, the conclusion on the menehunes that I came to is this...  The first settlers of the Hawaiian Islands were Pacific Islanders from the south that made their way up through Indonesia and eventually to Hawaii about 1500 to 2000 years ago.  Much later, a different human population that came from the Tahitian area arrived.  These people were much larger in size than the original settlers.  They soon dominated the original settlers by killing them, or interbreeding with them.  The word "menehune" comes from another word that means "of lesser social stature" or "lesser people".  This meaning morphing into "little people" is probably just a factor of oral history changing over the last one thousand years.  Remember, the native Hawaiian settlers did not have a written language, so history can change a bit over long periods of time.  I could be wrong, and some of my numbers might be a little fuzzy, but that is the conclusion that I came to.

The UK...  There are a number of researchers over in the UK that insist that bigfoots, or something like them, are there.  I had my doubts, and in fact still do.  I take the stance that bigfoot skeptics take on the subject in general:  show me, prove me wrong.  I try to keep an open mind on things, but I have doubts.  I was aware, though, that there were "green man" and other hairy man myths on the islands, and motifs in the artwork.  What I found out about that by visiting is that these artworks and myths arrived with the Norman Invasion about 1000 years ago.  From that, I have concluded that the stories of wildmen from mainland Europe arrived in the UK at this time.  

The UK trip was cool, though.  One researcher, ironically named Neil Young, had a photo of something from a location that was worthy of taking a closer look at.  Neil continues to write to me and offer possible evidence for my opinion to this day.  I also struck up a friendship with Dr. Anna Nekaris, who has continued to help me periodically with the Orang Pendek Project.  Since the expedition, I have also received a small number of reports from Europe, including one from Scotland that Adam Davies was kind enough to look into for me.

There is a good deal of folklore concerning small wildmen or dwarves or hairy humanlike creatures throughout Asia, especially the islands,. and Hawaii.  There is debate if orang pendek is a relict that has survived to recent times or some say it is possibly floresiensis - which may or may not be its own species or possibly a derivative of erectus. There are no fossils to work with. Like yeti, almasty, bigfoot, etc, the pendek has mythological status as part spirit being, part animal, and part human.

It has been several years by now since Adam Davies perked some interest in bigfootery when a hair sample he retrieved from Sumatra, Indonesia was suspected to contain useful DNA results. The science did not pan out for Davies' research but he did write a book called Manbeasts with his analysis.

Here is more from Cliff on the subject if you are curious: https://cliffbarackman.com/research/orang-pendek-project/about-the-orang-pendek

Out of the links Cliff suggests on his page, I would check out this one: http://www.bigfootencounters.com/biology/orang-pendek.htm

Edited by Arvedis
  • Upvote 1

Patterson-Gimlin

Thanks for sharing.  I have did a little research on this subject I  found it  interesting .Most of if not all the reports were from locals that  I heard of. 

Unlike the Yeti reports . Most  of which I heard of were from westerners or  bound up in religion from sherpas.  That alone makes the short creatures more beliveable to me. 

NCBFr

There are some cool videos of potential Orang Pendek's if you have the patience to dig it up.  As to Hawaii, that would be a no. 

Arvedis
Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2020 at 8:47 PM, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Most of if not all the reports were from locals that  I heard of. Unlike the Yeti reports . Most  of which I heard of were from westerners or  bound up in religion from sherpas.  That alone makes the short creatures more beliveable to me. 

The smaller Bigfoot-like creatures don't get as much attention but appear to be just as widespread

19 hours ago, NCBFr said:

There are some cool videos of potential Orang Pendek's if you have the patience to dig it up.  As to Hawaii, that would be a no. 

I did not see the Finding BF episode in Hawaii. I think they were investigating myths of dwarf peoples, unclear if it was a type of hairy man. Though I would be curious how close Hawaii myths get to the myths of southeast Asia. We know homo floreseinsis fossils have been found in the Philippines and there are various small hairy people myths in the Philippines. Impossible to say if the two are related. It is equally inconclusive if floreseinsis are an offshoot of erectus or their own sub species.

Edited by Arvedis

BobbyO
SSR Team

I truly cringe when I see people talking about Bigfoot in the UK.

• Upvote 1

Patterson-Gimlin

Why is that?

Incorrigible1

I'm not the esteemed BobbyO, but let me insert my two cents: Lack of habitat.

Patterson-Gimlin

Thanks. Makes sense to me. 

Sign in to follow this