What kind of game cam should I get?

NorthWind

So, I am looking into getting a game camera or two. No hurry at all, in fact, I have to save up a bit. Wondering if anyone had advice. I think the creatures can see IR...so maybe one of the no-glow models? I am really not sure. New to the game cam world. Has anyone here had any success BF wise with any of them? 

I had some unusual pictures with my old one. When I research into it all the BF pictures seem to originate from behind. Whether they can see IR or are observant enough to figure it out I don't know.

I just bought a new Apeman H70. It is still IR though. I could afford a more expensive one but I have installed it on public land so there is a risk of it being stolen or damaged.

I see researchers are now using multiple cameras and rather than trying to cover a lot of area they are pointing them at each other to see what is manipulating them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthWind said:

Has anyone here had any success BF wise with any of them? 

Good question. Few if any solid examples that I've seen around here or the web. I have a Browning BTX-3 Spec Ops that's older now. picked it up for about $140 at the time and my decision came after quite a bit of research. There's a lot of good choices out there with lots of features which makes it difficult to choose which one is best for the price. The Browning model I chose has a bunch of things going for it: Images or video of course, but it also has audio in real time so when displaying videos one can hear whatever is on the capture.

It has the common feature of individual of burst images, black LEDS which limit what animals see, and the nice feature of having an on-board display so one doesn't need an extra card reader or have to wait to connect to another device to see what's on the SD card. I run a 32G card in the slot and power it with 4 lithium batteries which are best for low temperatures and long life. It has a fairly good field-of-view and fast capture although its response time when running videos at night is slower than I would like. Night videos are limited to ten seconds but it has fast recovery for shooting the next one. All in all I thought it was a nice complete package for the money with the no-glow LED's being at the top of the list of what I was looking for.

But like I said, there are a lot of fine models out there and if you look around you can probably get something at a pretty reasonable price. I've been trying to see what my State's Game Wardens and F&W use but haven't made much of an effort. I do know that the cameras do not have a camo look to them, more of a solid dark, charcoal gray color. Mine's kind of a camo combination of greens, grays, and browns. Thinking of changing that to something more solid and darker. I think it would work better for situations where one hides the cam in shade as opposed to exposed in sunny locations.. 

• Upvote 1

Admin
3 hours ago, Rlee said:

I see researchers are now using multiple cameras and rather than trying to cover a lot of area they are pointing them at each other to see what is manipulating them.

I have been advocating this approach for years. I have heard stories that suggest they can see in the IR spectrum, but obviously, no controlled experiments to prove the point.

BFF Patron

Northwind,     whatever you get I suggest that you do not relay on the camera to camouflage itself.    Figure out some sort of natural covering material, mount it high, and hope it is not noticed by both humans, who likely would steal it, or BF to avoid.      I an not at all sure that it is the IR that gives away the game camera in daylight operations.    It could just be the strange box strapped to a tree that does not belong there.  But the IR flash likely is the giveaway during the dark hours.   Bigtreewalker has a photo sequence that shows what I think is a BF noticing a game camera during the daylight.   He has not posted it because the BF is so far away that you cannot be sure what it is.   But its behavior does not look human.   Once it sees the camera it goes into the classic get behind trees and peek at the camera routine.     A human would not have done that but would have marched right up to the camera and messed with it.    But the fact that the BF saw the camera from that far away, demonstrates to me that they are wary of anything out of place in the woods.    With all the game cameras deployed,  something must be giving them away to BF who avoids them     Most are not camouflaged, which is probably the biggest factor.   As I have mentioned before,   my back yard is wooded.   If someone hung a game camera there,  I would notice it immediately just because of it being out of place.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron
5 hours ago, NorthWind said:

So, I am looking into getting a game camera or two. No hurry at all, in fact, I have to save up a bit. Wondering if anyone had advice. I think the creatures can see IR...so maybe one of the no-glow models? I am really not sure. New to the game cam world. Has anyone here had any success BF wise with any of them? 

I have had some of the most expensive early on (Reconyx) but have changed tact to the cheaper but effective ones, the Apeman series; you can get good deals on ebay or other platforms with them.  If ordering direct from China you can score big but that is slow and chancey I'd say.  I would rather buy local and get fast shipping even if I don't get them wholesale.  They have effective trigger speed (you pay hundreds extra for .5 secs or less trigger speed) but not overwhelming, excellent video, noglow, time lapse if you want it and burst pics+video options together.  They have worked better for me than an expensive reconyx model in dayIight and night. I have had them deployed for about six to nine months with no malfunctions, and even dropped one or two at home or in the field and they hold up well and are waterproofed rather well. They make a good home security cam too. Great battery life with recommended lithium energizers even in the cold and in an active area.  They have a mounting swivel mechanism you can screw into trees which is a little wonky and you need to be careful with tightening them or they flop around or belting onto tree trunks. Re: BF pics not to date yet; with an older set of reconyx without bear boxes I had a bear twist and try to chew into one, at least I think it was a hairy bear forepaw. 

• Upvote 1

The professional biologists here in Alaska like Reconyx. I have an old Moultrie. I like it because I got a custom steel box for it that locks it to a tree and protects it from bears. 

I have four Browning Dark Ops cameras. They are a bit pricey but if you look around sometimes you can find them on sale for about $100. So far, no issues, great battery life and video quality. They can capture picture or video (with sound!)

I think the two criteria that were important to me are no glow and the distance a picture or video can be captured called the detection range. The FOV angle can be important as well so be sure you know whether it is a narrow or wide focus. My preference is Stealth Cam, and I have the 4K and G45NG models, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a Browning Dark Ops HD.  Reconyx is the trailcam of professionals but they are so expensive I didn't see the value for the money spent.  As far as preserving the pictures that are taken so they are not stolen or destroyed, I think you have four options:

1) Use a Trailcam metal box with a thick cable

2) Put it 11'+ on a tree or

3) Camouflage it

4) Get a wireless model if it will be in an area with cell service

I think options #2 and #4 are the best but I didn't have climbing gear to get up in a tree and there is no cell service where I go. I've never had an issue with bears, although some do, so didn't consider it in my decision. I chose to camo mine because i thought a sasquatch would more likely see the metal box and cable before it saw a camo'd trailcam.  As far as camo'ing it, I think you need to identify the exact tree you will put it on and then match the hatch. If it is going on an oak tree, get some oak bark from a downed tree.  

This website does a pretty good job of explaining various aspects of a trailcam and also offers good reviews. Once you know which models you are interested in, you can get a good deal if you are patient.  I got great deals on my StealthCams at Dicks Sporting Goods. 

https://www.trailcampro.com/pages/trail-camera-tests

Here is a picture of a Stealth 4K I camo'd that is sitting next to a chainsaw bear at home. Tomorrow, I'm doing an overnight and it's getting put up in my favorite location. When it is positioned up on a tree with braches of pine needles near it, it is very difficult to see. If I wasn't concerned with night-time videos, I could have put bark over the IR emitters and really gotten it near impossible to see.

It's also important to camo the strap that goes around the tree otherwise it will giveaway the location. You can add velcro strips to the strap then velcro on pieces of bark to it.

1453092827_StealthCam4K.thumb.jpg.ec4f04b34c1ea4f1378a28f03f2924f2.jpg

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

Excellent info. Thank you all. I ran out of "likes". Typically where I go there is no cell service, so I have no need for that option. But the black no glow feature will be a must, I believe. And I am not too concerned with theft, because the chances of another human in the areas I am thinking of are next to nill. Now, how to get this fat old man up into a tree will be a challenge. But I can figure something out. Also considering a plotwatcher type of setup, but I haven't decided yet.

Plotwatchers are a fine and reasonable option. You could probably set yourself up with several for the cost of a good game cam. Just don't forget, if you place them in remote areas take a GPS reading so they will be easier to locate. But if cell service is in the tank it may not help you?

I remember where I put things pretty well and rarely to never rely on cell phone technology. I do have a GPS unit that actually uses satellites though. It's fairly ancient, but it works. 

BFF Patron

The Apeman or any game cam with time lapse is  essentially a day/night plotwatcher plus and can be more effectively concealed/  If you can't hide your plotwatcher it will be abused or lost by animal/human.  I would say a plotwatcher that is not above hand high plus on a tree or well hidden is as good as gone in any form of traveled area.  The 

Apeman are a 55-75 buck cam last I checked and give excellent quality detailed 1080p vids plus and high rez pics. 

They are as big as a cig pack maybe twice as thick.  Do not set your cams into sun rise or set or Apeman's will glare as will most.  Unless Reconyx has vastly upped their game in the last 2-3 years I would say you will be disappointed and out of a lot of bucks.  At one time their trigger speed was the only game in town, now other brands run circles around them.  Also some models take huge numbers of batteries and are heavy and not as easy to manipulate.  Plotwatcher models I'm familiar with were first generation and battery life was not great not sure what the newer models are like. 

Edited by bipedalist