What kind of game cam should I get?

NorthWind

19 hours ago, NorthWind said:

Excellent info. Thank you all. I ran out of "likes". Typically where I go there is no cell service, so I have no need for that option. But the black no glow feature will be a must, I believe. And I am not too concerned with theft, because the chances of another human in the areas I am thinking of are next to nill. Now, how to get this fat old man up into a tree will be a challenge. But I can figure something out. Also considering a plotwatcher type of setup, but I haven't decided yet.

Getting up a tree is not as easy as it might seem. It's a good alternative I gave a hard look at.  Let's say you want to get the trailcam 11' off the ground and you're 6' tall. That means you need to get at least 5' off the ground but preferably 6'.  You have a few options:

1) Tree screw steps

2) Climbing sticks

3) Ladder

For me the issue was how I would get them to the site where I wanted to place the trailcam seeing that they would need to be transported by backpack. Tree screws are the least expensive and easiest to transport but are not allowed on some public land. They are also the most difficult to use.  Climbing sticks have been used by hunters for a long time and are easy to find. Both of these are awkward to use and are a young man's option.  There is a company, Hurricane Safety Systems, that combine a climbing stick with a ladder design. I considered buying two sections of their climbing system. 

In the end, I scrapped the idea of putting it up in a tree. I would have to backpack the two sections in, which was doable, but I'd also need to get a safety chest harness and tie-in strap system. I suspect that using only one section of the Hurricane climbing stick would have enabled me to get the trailcam at least 9' off the ground which should be enough to keep it out of the hands of most thieves.

All-in-all, it was too complicated for me so I went the camo route. 

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ameristep-tree-step

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnQ0wwTwv9m8mtetf44YOdQ

Hiflier, Plotwatchers are history, out of production, difficult to impossible to find. With game cams going to pawn shops and ebay, some used units may appear.  Or, turn off the flash.

39 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

Hiflier, Plotwatchers are history, out of production, difficult to impossible to find. With game cams going to pawn shops and ebay, some used units may appear.  Or, turn off the flash.

HAH! See? I get a game cam and quit doing any more research on them. Thanks for the correction :) Sorry, NorthWind. Didn't know. 

LOL I didn't know either. Gosh you know, there are just too many things to keep track of. This aging brain of mine cannot keep up. I appreciate the info.