What Would Be The Ramifications Of Bigfoot Discovery

hiflier

Also, as far as we know, there is no upside to what health or aphrodisiac a Sasquatch may believe to possess. Are they cancer immune? Are they Covid-19 immune? Or anything else? The cancer part is the idea behind a novel I read by Seattle author Eric Penz called "Cryptid". The story published in 1996 I have a signed hardcover) is wrapped around the idea of an extant Gigantopithicus in North America being sought for it's thought-to-be- cancer immunity. A capture could mean billions in profits for a cancer vaccine. Not a bad read at all.

So, one ramification could be a health benefit that science/government doesn't even know about........or maybe they do :O And speaking of books, I need to get a point out to this community. I wrote a book, a manual really, concerning a plan for harvesting ONE voucher specimen for science. Not a big book at all at 88 pages but it's fairly dense and NOT a story. It IS in fact a hunting manual.

But there's the thing about it. People will look at the book at face value and condemn it for, not only hunting down a Sasquatch, but for promoting the taking of an illegal, endangered species. Of course, it was written on the premise that the creature is extant but most if not all will miss the point entirely. The true aim of the book is to bring pressure to bear on science to get there first. The pressure being if science thinks the amount of active Sasquatch hunting goes up as a result of this book then they may act faster to do some investigating. Especially if, as the book lays out, the creature is secretly brought to a facility for study with the aim of forcing public disclosure before anyone in officialdom is the wiser.

So, even though the book's premise of finding a dead one or, as a last resort, shooting one, the ultimate goal is knowledge and therefore preservation of the species and its habitat for all time. I foresee more and pressure being brought to bear on science to step up and do what they are designed to do: Investigate the evidence which as mountains greater than the Ivory-billed Woodpecker, and we know what happened with that. So while the book on the surface looks like a hunting manual, it has a rather devious built-in secondary purpose :sword:  :spiteful:  

Edited by hiflier

46 minutes ago, hiflier said:

.......The true aim of the book is to bring pressure to bear on science to get there first.........

Yet, you have already admitted a strong suspicion, like mine, that government (not "science", per se) knows of these creatures. So since government controls science today just as much as it did in the days of Galileo (or more), science probably has "gotten there first".

The pressure being if science thinks the amount of active Sasquatch hunting goes up as a result of this book then they may act faster to do some investigating.........

I doubt they're worried about your book any more than they're worried about the memes I trade about their political leaders.

But the thing is, Huntster, no one is going to come after me for marketing the book, whether it's promoting the killing an endangered species (the Bigfoot) or not. It would be an admission that there was actually an endangered species called a Sasquatch to even shoot at., though officially "unrecognized". How can anyone pass a law against killing something that is thought to officially not exist since there are apparently no efforts made to study such a creature? Like the one in that county in Washington State. I think the law should be struck down as illegal since, like unicorns, no such creature is believed to exist.

A sort of sub-topic for this thread could be ramifications that result from people who simply THINK the Bigfoot is real. Like shooting at other Humans, running over a guy in a ghillie suit, a car insurance claim issued after supposedly running into a Bigfoot, calls into LEO's, and lawsuits in court citing danger to the public for not disclosing the Bigfoot's existence. All this stuff has happened. 

Edited by hiflier

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

Yet, you have already admitted a strong suspicion, like mine, that government (not "science", per se) knows of these creatures. So since government controls science today just as much as it did in the days of Galileo (or more), science probably has "gotten there first".

Went back and read this, which I often do in an effort to keep my responses in context. Yes, I have admitted that because I don't see the flip-side as being a tenable argument. So, barring non-existence, your logic (and mine) is about as sound as it gets on this subject

16 minutes ago, hiflier said:

........How can anyone pass a law against killing something that is thought to officially not exist since there are apparently no efforts made to study such a creature?........

Like this (top of page 7 in the hunting regs):

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildliferegulations.hunting

........Hunting seasons and bag limits for big game are listed by unit on pages 39-139 of this book. Other game seasons and bag limits are listed in the back of the book (pages 140-142).

If the species is not listed, you MAY NOT hunt that species........

And if the sasquatch turns out to be human, you might find yourself watching the authorities driving away with your trophy, and their last words will be ringing in your ears, "You'd better keep your mouth shut, or you'll be facing Murder 1 charges........"

48 minutes ago, Huntster said:

If the species is not listed, you MAY NOT hunt that species........

Yes, but on the "NOT" list are only known, and therefore recognized, species. I doubt you'll see unicorns, Mothmen, Chupacabras, Minotaurs, or Sasquatches on that list. "Mythical" creatures somehow just don't make the grade ;) Now, this technicality could be arguable, but the Court in British Columbia didn't think so when they laughed and threw out Todd Standing's case. Claudia Ackley's case in San Bernardino back in March 2018 has simply gone away, and I've seen nothing about it since. Probably because the case was geared more toward getting the State of California to enter into a dialogue meant to flush out the question of Sasquatch's existence or non-existence and put the state's feet to the fire. Even though the supposed encounter took place on federal National Forest land, so the lawsuit should have been brought against the US Department of Agriculture instead.

But Washington State has at least one county with the Bigfoot anti-hunting, harassment law, and I think one in Texas does as well. So I guess one can pass a law concerning mythical creatures and charge the public for the cost of drafting and passing such a law? Also, those laws were apparently passed without even one shred of a study on the creature's reality. But then, maybe someone knows something that the public doesn't? I mean, there are already a whole pile of laws for when Humans kill Humans, and Humans kill animals, but for some reason the Sasquatch got singled out for it OWN set of laws? Tourism attraction reasons and other things notwithstanding, no one has bothered to raise any of these points with any of the respective counties' officials. Ah well....... 

Edited by hiflier

29 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Yes, but on the "NOT" list are only known, and therefore recognized, species. I doubt you'll see unicorns, Mothmen, Chupacabras, Minotaurs, or Sasquatches on that list. "Mythical" creatures somehow just don't make the grade ;) ........

They are not listed with an open season, and so you may not hunt them. If you do, you have taken that animal out of season, which is a violation, and possibly a felony.

.........But Washington State has at least one county with the Bigfoot anti-hunting, harassment law, and I think one in Texas does as well. So I guess one can pass a law concerning mythical creatures and charge the public for the cost of drafting and passing such a law?.......

Obviously so. 

• Upvote 2

Yes, obviously so. But since most folks put no stock in the creature, they see the law as a kind of tongue-in-cheek and never think about their tax dollars being used to get it on the books.

Well, Huntster, this thread has been interesting to say the least. And I cannot express my thanks adequately enough for your participation and input. There is no doubt that discovery and public disclosure would create waves of all sorts through society with the potential of an economic hit where habitat intrusions of all sorts are concerned. And those hits obviously reach down to the personal level in terms of the person who actually secures a voucher specimen. And since science doesn't appear to want to, or is allowed to, take up the slack, then it seems as if, like before, it would come down to the private citizen/researcher who is committed to pulling it off somehow either directly or indirectly. And then try to get away with it.

For myself, I'm trying to do it indirectly by going after scientist directly. Since I don't hunt in the traditional sense, my hunting is conducted in a different way. I hunt for the scientist willing to keep the door open long enough to hear the arguments as well as my hypothesis for discovery. So far there have been nibbles but not much if anything has come along for my efforts. So, I think this thread may have run it's course, unless you have anything to add, or anyone else. We, covered a lot of ground and I tried to bring in what I would consider to be the larger milestones when it comes to past potentials for discovery/disclosure so a kind of "where -we-stand" picture might take shape. I've enjoyed the subject and the exchange. Thank you. 

6 hours ago, Huntster said:

Ever hunt tigers? Cougars? Gigantopithecus?

Yet their "parts" are for sale in Hong Kong as aphrodisiacs. And tigers are endangered. Big time. Gigantopithecus are extinct.......or so they say. 

Madison and NorthWind have re-taught me that one can pretty confidently go out and find footprints.

Went cougar hunting in New Mexico many moons ago. At the time where I worked my friend and co worker won the lottery so he wanted to go and didn't want to go alone.

He paid for the entire guided hound hunt . He shot one that was treed by the hounds . It was a rough hunt to keep up  even young and in shape and no way could I ever do something like that again at my age , at least that type of hunting .

Horseback most of the hunt then off the horses trying to keep up with the hounds. I do still think that the least of our worries should be poaching if Bigfoot is ever proven. We can't find them now :hunter:

Anyone think someone would go out someplace and try to hoax F&W or a Game Warden with tree knocks or footprints in remote places? Or is the hoaxing only meant to be found by BF researchers. And should F&W or a Game Warden come upon these prints would they know their territory well enough to think hoax, or no hoax depending on where they find them?

BFF Patron

Some woman saw a wolverine eating beached marine life on the Long Beach Peninsula in WA on May 23.    Wildlife officials did not believe her but she had taken a picture.    There are thought to be less that 20 in the entire state.   That it was not up near the snow line was very unusual.   

12 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Anyone think someone would go out someplace and try to hoax F&W or a Game Warden with tree knocks or footprints in remote places? Or is the hoaxing only meant to be found by BF researchers. And should F&W or a Game Warden come upon these prints would they know their territory well enough to think hoax, or no hoax depending on where they find them?

Hoaxers want their handiwork found.      So they tend to hoax in places where humans frequent.     As I recall, a former member of this forum had a situation up near Mt St Helens,  where he found a large footprint that was obviously not human.    As he walked out to his vehicle to get casting materials he encountered a forest ranger.    He mentioned finding the footprint and where it was.     When he got back to the location,   the Ranger apparently had destroyed the footprint because it was not there any more.    Whether the Ranger thought it a hoax or real is of course not known.  

Edited by SWWASAS

41 minutes ago, 7.62 said:

Went cougar hunting in New Mexico many moons ago. At the time where I worked my friend and co worker won the lottery so he wanted to go and didn't want to go alone.

He paid for the entire guided hound hunt . He shot one that was treed by the hounds........

Hounds. Yup. Without them, you'd never see the cat. But with them, you can catch them with regularity.......which is why the environmental industry lobbied to make hunting with hounds illegal. But organized criminals don't care much about laws.

.......I do still think that the least of our worries should be poaching if Bigfoot is ever proven. We can't find them now.

I'm not sure. I agree that Bubba the Deer Hunter is no threat, but I'm also quite sure that after discovery, there WILL be an illegal demand for both live and dead sasquatches. I just don't know how damaging that market will be.

Gorillas were a legendary creature for over 3000 years, yet after "discovery", they were endangered within 75 years.

Lewis and Clark beheld gigantic Plains bison herds that had seen few white men in 1803. In fact, Lewis is scientifically credited with the first description of the Plains bison.  By 1880, despite starting with some 60 million of them, they were nearly wiped out. Just a few hundred remained.

23 minutes ago, hiflier said:

....... should F&W or a Game Warden come upon these prints would they know their territory well enough to think hoax, or no hoax depending on where they find them?

I'm willing to bet that such officials have discovered prints in the wilderness numerous times, and we'll never know about it.

"I'm not sure. I agree that Bubba the Deer Hunter is no threat, but I'm also quite sure that after discovery, there WILL be an illegal demand for both live and dead sasquatches. I just don't know how damaging that market will be"

Maybe but I just think they are just so elusive and spread out that once they see themselves being hunted they will vanish like a puff of smoke.

The cost and time that it would involve with little or no results for even the best equipped poacher will be too great . Just spit balling but I suppose if rich Asians were willing to pay millions for body parts they think would cure what ever they are suffering from there will always be poachers who will try and hunt them . I just suspect the results would be futile . It won't be like hunting a great ape or a tiger . Just my opinion but these things even though they don't build homes, don't have a written language , don't use fire etc..  They are smart and very dangerous 

If the beasts are out there then I would also have to say yes. But this then goes back to the biggie: SOMEONE has to know about them. The question is (among so many others ;) ) is have whoever knows and doesn't want anyone else to know, covered all the bases and plugged all the holes someone might find to bust the thing open? I was ready to call this topic done, but maybe exhausting any ideas on beating the odds of discovery could be interesting. My odds? Why e-DNA of course :) 

@7.62  I might agree with you except for the fact that the Asian continent has....now lemme seeeee.....Ah yes, the Almasty, the Yeti and the Yeren. One would think with so much cheap labor, one with wealth could throw money and resources at finding something to see if it has any worth? I don't see anyone uprooting their cash just to come here and spend the equivalent of millions of US dollars with no guarantee on the investment. Of course, for the mere pittance of a half-mil I would try and help them  :rolleyes:

I'm not so sure that they're supermen. We have two stories of 19th Century hunters and railroad men capturing sasquatches alive; Jacko and Zana. There are numerous other stories of hunters who had them in their sights or who actually shot them thinking they were other animals. 

Several years ago the Alaska State Troopers busted a small ring if Kireans who had killed a dozen or so black bears on a smaller island in Prince William Sound and had cut put their gall bladders. I've been offered $300 for them, but a quick Google search shows that they're worth $5K-$10K in Asia. That's just the gall bladder. Claws, teeth, hide, skull.......it can add up, and that's just a black bear.