Bigfoot Timeline 1990-2020

Mendoza

Below is my attempt at a timeline of developments in the Bigfoot world for the past 30 years.  I've tried to include significant events including research conducted, evidence gathered, hoaxes, and media phenomena.  Let me know what I've missed.

First broadcast of the TV series "Harry and the Hendersons."

Klamath Screams recorded.

"Harry and the Hendersons" cancelled.

Freeman Footage recorded.

Ohio Howl recorded.  (The Ohio Howl is later used in many "call blasting" experiments.)

Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization founded.

Redwoods Footage recorded.

Memorial Day Footage recorded.

New York Baby Footage recorded.

Snow Walker Footage (hoax) recorded.

Doerr Skunk Ape Photo taken.

Landis publicly claims that Chambers made an ape suit for the Patterson-Gimlin Film.

International Society of Cryptozoology disbands.

Glickman publishes "Toward a Resolution of the Bigfoot Phenomenon."

Fahrenbach publishes "Sasquatch:  Size, Scaling, and Statistics."

Shealy Skunk Ape Photos taken.

BBC series "X-Creatures" attempts to replicate the Patterson-Gimlin Film.

Skookum Cast discovered.

Chilcutt studies dermal ridges in footprint casts.

Shealy Skunk Ape Footage recorded.

Ray Wallace dies; afterwards family members claim he was involved in hoaxing the Patterson-Gimlin Film.

Davis begins work on the Patterson-Gimlin Film.

Greg Long publishes "The Making of Bigfoot," promoting the claims of Bob Heironimus and Philip Morris regarding their involvement in hoaxing the Patterson-Gimlin Film.

Davis releases a stabilized version of the Patterson-Gimlin Film.

Sonoma Footage hoaxed by Penn and Teller.

Biscardi promotes a "captured Bigfoot" hoax.

Davis claims that the Patterson-Gimlin Film subject is a "Digger Indian."

Jack Link's begins the popular "Messin' with Sasquatch" ad campaign.

Davis claims that the Patterson-Gimlin Film documents a "Bigfoot massacre."

Dyer and Whitton perpetrate a "frozen Bigfoot" hoax.

Lozier et al. publish an ecological niche modeling study concluding that black bear misidentification is the source of the Bigfoot phenomenon.

Munns releases "The Munns Report" on his analysis of the Patterson-Gimlin Film.

Nelson publishes "Sasquatch Phonetic Alphabet and Transcription Standard" based on his analysis of the 1971 Berry-Morehead Tapes.

Relict Hominid Inquiry established.

First broadcast of "Finding Bigfoot."

Ketchum issues a press release stating that her DNA analysis had identified Bigfoot as a hybrid of Homo sapiens and an unknown primate species.

University of Oxford and Cantonal Museum of Zoology publish a DNA analysis of alleged Bigfoot hair samples, none of which were validated as Bigfoot in origin.

Dyer hoaxes a shooting of Bigfoot.

"Finding Bigfoot" cancelled.

• Thanks 1

I find the long term trends interesting.  The 1990s were a good decade for video footage and physical traces, though little was done with it, either at the time or in the years since.  The 2000s were mostly an embarrassment, with much of the decade spent on talk of hoaxes and outlandish claims.  I'm not sure how I'd evaluate the 2010s yet.

31 minutes ago, Mendoza said:

I'm not sure how I'd evaluate the 2010s yet.

The 2010's? Impotent mainstream science and sequestering knowledge while monetizing the subject. In other words, serious growth in the business of Bigfoot and offering carrots of no value to a jaded public and community.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Guest Paddlehiker

Nice post Mendoza. And Hiflier I do hope the 2020’s are different. I think it will be. More serious legitimate people & researchers will step forth and do their/our work. And less of the shenanigans of the last decade; as if it was a fad that just runs out of gas & fades. It’s started to. 

I agree, Paddlehiker, and welcome to the Forum :) Yes, I think the 20's will see science stepping in, kicking and screaming perhaps, but stepping in nonetheless. Ironically, it's their own technology that will crack everything open. I also think that, deep down, science WANTS to solve this particular phenomenon.

I had the same hope 10 years ago.    Alas I’ve been disappointed,  oh well I guess once discovery does happen I’ll lose the hobby of looking up BF info.  :fpc:

56 minutes ago, Twist said:

........I guess once discovery does happen I’ll lose the hobby of looking up BF info.  :fpc:

How so? Once they become known, and studies begin in earnest, lots of accurate information about them (and perhaps other things as well) should be forthcoming.

It was more a tongue-in-cheek comment but I’m sure I’ll spend less time on the subject.  It’s the mystery around BF and getting an answer to childhood a experience that keeps my interest.

Edited by Twist

If these creatures are a hominid, I'll be glued to it even more than when I thought they were apes.

It’ll be interesting for sure but something I’ll just peek at every now and then.   Like all history of mans evolution it’ll be changing daily, weekly, monthly etc. as we continue to learn more. 

Admin
On 5/27/2020 at 11:17 AM, Mendoza said:

I find the long term trends interesting.

Me too. Unfortunately, I think BF is on a path to extinction.

bf1.PNG

• gigantor featured this topic
2 hours ago, gigantor said:

Me too. Unfortunately, I think BF is on a path to extinction.

bf1.PNG

Why the big bump from 95-15? Shouldn’t the graph just slowly drop in numbers as it comes forward in time if we were watching an extinction?

• Upvote 1

Admin
10 minutes ago, norseman said:

Why the big bump from 95-15?

The internet me thinks.

I wonder what the curve would look like if the internet were available in the 70s and 80s.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, gigantor said:

The internet me thinks.

I wonder what the curve would look like if the internet were available in the 70s and 80s.

Hmmm, it does take a human reporting a sighting to have a sighting!

Admin
14 hours ago, norseman said:

Hmmm, it does take a human reporting a sighting to have a sighting!

I could be wrong...  @BobbyO says that reports take a few years to get posted on the BFRO site, I don't know.

• Thanks 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic