New Fictional book - Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre

OnlyASize12

Max Brooks (the author of World War Z) is clearly a bigfoot enthusiast who has seen many of the movies/television shows we have.   He has written a fictional account of a bigfoot "raid" that is a lot of fun reading.   I felt he kept things believable and referenced sights/encounters that are easy recognized to followers of bigfoot lore.   I gave it a 5 star rating and think others may enjoy it as well.

Below is a link to the specific page on the amazon website (I read it on my kindle), but I'm sure your local bookstore could get it if you are a collector of physical books and prefer to buy local.

https://www.amazon.com/Max-Brooks/dp/1984826786/ref=sr_1_1?crid=38U9JWSJO0095&dchild=1&keywords=max+brooks+devolution&qid=1592408655&sprefix=max+brooks%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-1

@OnlyASize12

I almost bought this, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

World War Z was phenomenal, whether you liked the zombie genre or not.  

Would you rate it at the same level as WWZ?

Admin

Same here BRB. Loved WWZ, it is the only zombie book I have ever read. I will probably end up getting Devo at some point in the not too distant future. My question is this: how gory is it? I do not like gore so that may be something that keeps me from getting it. WWZ had a few incidents, but fortunately, not much. 

The descriptions of the book sound similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Bigfoot-vs-Preppers-Eric-Brown-ebook/dp/B07RW6MJ6L/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Bigfoot+vs.+Preppers&qid=1592955267&s=books&sr=1-1

2 minutes ago, VAfooter said:

Same here BRB. Loved WWZ, it is the only zombie book I have ever read. I will probably end up getting Devo at some point in the not too distant future. My question is this: how gory is it? I do not like gore so that may be something that keeps me from getting it. WWZ had a few incidents, but fortunately, not much. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bigfoot-vs-Preppers-Eric-Brown-ebook/dp/B07RW6MJ6L/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Bigfoot+vs.+Preppers&qid=1592955267&s=books&sr=1-1

I am not going to lie...

I love Eric Brown Bigfoot books.  

He lives in my girlfriend's hometown or near about.  

Admin

Sounds like he has a number of them out there.

While looking for the name of the Bigfoot vs. Preppers book, I stumbled across this one. What grabbed my attention, was not the book itself, but the first review, by Mr. Patterson. He cites some incidents that occurred in the area. Sounds like a good guy to sit down and interview some day.

https://www.amazon.com/Saesqec-Controversial-Account-Bigfoot-Attack/dp/0692461906

1 hour ago, VAfooter said:

Sounds like he has a number of them out there.

While looking for the name of the Bigfoot vs. Preppers book, I stumbled across this one. What grabbed my attention, was not the book itself, but the first review, by Mr. Patterson. He cites some incidents that occurred in the area. Sounds like a good guy to sit down and interview some day.

https://www.amazon.com/Saesqec-Controversial-Account-Bigfoot-Attack/dp/0692461906

I have read Saesqec.

Wait.  The author's name is Stephen Patterson And the reviewer claims to be a police officer named Stephen Patterson who worked that area?

He is claiming that the author used his name or some sort of weird coincidence?

Admin

From what I took away, the author stole his name.

23 minutes ago, VAfooter said:

From what I took away, the author stole his name.

Ok.  That's not weird...

On 6/23/2020 at 10:26 AM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

@OnlyASize12

I almost bought this, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

World War Z was phenomenal, whether you liked the zombie genre or not.  

Would you rate it at the same level as WWZ?

It is not as good as WWZ.  The core of it is a bigfoot horror movie script that Mr. Brooks sold some years ago.  The idea kept tickling him so he get the rights for the script back when nothing happened and wrote this book.  I enjoyed it.  It may be the best piece of bigfoot fiction I've read, but it is not the bench-mark that WWZ was.

On 6/23/2020 at 7:35 PM, VAfooter said:

People get eaten.  It is gory.  It is definitely a bigfoot horror story.  I have read one of Eric Brown's books.  It was OK, but a bit too pulpy for my personal taste.  The gory level was probably higher and the development of characters and situation less involved.

• Upvote 1

Admin

^ Who knew one could make a decent living that way....   :lol:

18 hours ago, VAfooter said:

^ Who knew one could make a decent living that way....   :lol:

He churns out a book a month, or so it seems.  :lol:

Quantity over quality.  I don't know if that pays the bills or if he works another job.  

You know where the big money is, right?  Bigfoot erotica.  

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed Devolution. I think WWZ was better but that doesn't mean Devolution isn't good--it is! If you're at all into G.I. Joe comics from the 1980s, Max Brooks did a G.I. Joe graphic novel called Hearts and Minds that is just awesome!!

On 7/2/2020 at 10:26 AM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

He churns out a book a month, or so it seems.  :lol:

Quantity over quality.  I don't know if that pays the bills or if he works another job.  

You know where the big money is, right?  Bigfoot Erotica.  

I don't follow BF fiction intentionally but being an editor, I see various titles come out and while combing through ebay, amazon, and other book buying sites. I also read the book industry forums and horror is good business, not just BF but any cryptids. Anything weird or strange that keeps people's attention sells well enough for some authors to make a living. What determines good sales is good writing (and in my opinion, good editing so it has a professional look and feel to it).

Edited by Arvedis

Arvadis, as a former editor I’m glad to meet some else who appreciates good editing. While I’m not perfect (who is?) I spend a bit of time on each submission here and in other forums to clean up my writing and get to the point. Also, in video format, I see lots of Bigfoot vids that need to lose about nine-tenths of their content on the cutting room floor to be crisp and compelling.