e-DNA Sampling For Sasquatch

hiflier

BFF Donor

Okay, thanks. I found a book in google books called "Hairy Humanoids from the Wild" and on page 10 there was a quote from Ron Morehead regarding what you said about some pond water samples showing test results of 99% Human. Samples, funded by NatGeo, from snow prints and a semi-frozen pond were taken. Morehead said this in early 2019 before the results were publicized. Could be the same show, I just don't remember the pond or the 99% Human DNA and that's something I wouldn't have forgotten. So maybe it wasn't the same show? Sounds like it could be a newer documentary than "The Lost Kingdom of the Yeti" but using the same team. If the two documentaries are indeed different, both were filmed in Bhutan and the geneticist was, again, said to be French. It may be that the same expedition was split up into two documentaries.

99% Human DNA from a semi-frozen pond is very important stuff! Maybe that's why Dr. Bellmain didn't answer my email?

Okay, same show. I found this:

And I'm IN THE CONVERSATION! I must be slipping.

Edited by hiflier

BFF Donor

The show was on travel channel.    Title "When the Yeti Attacks"     Smedja, Davis,  Brown, and Meldrum were all interviewed.     I look at their listings and it is not playing again anytime soon.   It was Season 11 episode six of some series about when monsters attack.   They claimed that BF is a Yeti.   Have no idea where they get that.   Apparently Brown had traveled to California on his own to look around an area with Smedja.      They know each other from meeting at conferences.     Brown maybe is using his 10 grand for travel money.   They went back recently with the E-DNA lab people and were filmed with them  to where the both of them had seen a BF together in Northerrn California.  

• 4 weeks later...
BFF Donor

Been keeping an eye on e-DNA technology that would allow for real-time field results from e-DNA samples. The idea being to take a sample and run it through barcoding and get a result from the GenBank while on site. The advantage would be being able to stay in the field, say while camping, and run samples from different locations before moving on. The disadvantge is it's expensive, although affordable systems are in the pipe. Hmm...I think need to win next year's BFF evidence contest to afford this technology ;) But if I could ever get myself set up with it and be able to do on-site e-DNA testing and get a results in say an hour? It would be a game changer in the hunt for primate DNA in North America. Maybe an indiegogo account could be in my future. 

BFF Donor
13 hours ago, hiflier said:

Been keeping an eye on e-DNA technology that would allow for real-time field results from e-DNA samples. The idea being to take a sample and run it through barcoding and get a result from the GenBank while on site. The advantage would be being able to stay in the field, say while camping, and run samples from different locations before moving on. The disadvantge is it's expensive, although affordable systems are in the pipe. Hmm...I think need to win next year's BFF evidence contest to afford this technology ;) But if I could ever get myself set up with it and be able to do on-site e-DNA testing and get a results in say an hour? It would be a game changer in the hunt for primate DNA in North America. Maybe an indiegogo account could be in my future. 

Wouldn't the species need to be in the GenBank first? Which means it would to be an established species? Therefore negating the need to look for samples in the first place?

BFF Donor

Pretty sure there's enough data in the GenBank to say a sample came from a primate even it the sample isn't primate-species specific between the Human genome and the Great Ape genomes. And since Humans are the only primate species in North America anything else that comes back primate will be the brass ring.

The early e-DNA samples from the Olympic Project's nesting site were said to be to Human but were too degraded to show novel primate. But the samples did in fact show primate of some kind, even if it was degraded, and so were assumed to be Human in origin. The new find last February, 2020 had "time-sensitive" (Shane Corson's term, not mine) samples taken. I may mean the new samples came from fresh feces which were in abundance around the original nest discovery back in 2015, or they could have, again, come from core samples from under the new nest find.

I've gone through the DNA base-pair differences between us and other ancient Human branches an Chimps. DNA from an evolutionary Sasquatch separation perspective should have base-pair differences from us Humans somewhere between Neanderthal/Denisovan and Chimpanzees. It will take a geneticist willing to stick their neck out to extrapolate Sasquatch primate DNA from the data in the GenBank. It may also already be in the GenBank within its metgenomics section where unknown DNA fragment information is kept.

In H.V. Hart's thread he picked up on unusual genetic mutations from Alaska and BC that appeared to be the same. The new nest DNA info may show that mutation as well?

• 2 weeks later...
BFF Donor

This is a recent video (Dec, 2019) that lats out the issues that scientists are dealing with and working out. It isn't a particularly long video but everything these guys are showing and talking about is right in line with the e-DNA subject as it relates to a potential technology for Sasquatch discovery. I other words it supports everything I've been saying about it. Every sentence the scientists utter is important to listen to because every sentence contains good information and doesn't beat around the bush with any word salad whatsoever.

BFF Donor
On 12/24/2020 at 9:24 PM, wiiawiwb said:

There was a show on TV a few days ago about the Yeti and an area in or near Bhutan. They were trying to extract eDNA from footprints in the snow and water in ponds.  They found footprints and took samples and took water sample from a pond an stream.

In the end, the eDNA revealed the pond had DNA that was 99% human. I found that interesting. If I can find the name of the show, I will post it here.

I just saw it again. The show is named, "Attack of the Yeti".  It was on the Travel Channel.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Thanks 1

BFF Donor

Okay, pretty recent paper here. Rather than read the whole thing I selected out the pertinent paragraph. The reason I found this paper? Same as always, I try to keep up with a quickly evolving technology and looking for supporting evidence that DNA is THEE tool for finding closely related taxa. What I didn't expect to discover was what I bolded and underlined: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6470983/

"Beyond assignment to known haplotypes, eDNA has been used to uncover previously unknown intraspecific genetic diversity. For example, previously unknown harbor porpoise (Phocoena phocoena) mtDNA control region haplotypes have been detected via seawater eDNA [69]. These haplotypes differed from established haplotypes by one base pair, a small difference, and added additional support to the overall population structure previously described among the different sampling locations for this species [69]. The population structure as resolved with the assistance of eDNA derived haplotypes, supports managing the southeast Alaskan harbor porpoise as two separate populations [69]. Importantly, this study featured positive controls (four known harbor porpoise Sanger-sequenced samples) that helped lay the groundwork for strict quality filtering of the sequence data [69]. The inclusion of these sequences allowed for baseline PCR and sequencing error rates to be detected. This strict quality filtering has been emphasized in other studies [63,68,69,70,72]."

Seriously? A ONE base pair difference?!! You can't tell me that a Sasquatch in North America cannot be discovered when this kind of exacting species DNA differentiation can be done :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 7:51 PM, hiflier said:

I thought the word was that he had bowed out and was no longer funding the Olympic Project even before the first nest find. I have no idea if is involved in any current Bigfoot projects. Wouldn't blame him if he wasn't. Guy's probably down a mil with nothing to show for it.

Just a mil?  It would be fun to know the overall tally Wally has spent on all his BF pet projects. I also wonder if he got a piece of the reality TV pie. My guess is no.