e-DNA Sampling For Sasquatch

hiflier
Posted (edited)

I agree with what you say, MIB, because the general consensus in science seems to say that advances in e-DNA technology isn't so much linear as it is exponential. So many scientists are working on these advancements that I have no doubt a breakthrough that deals with hypotheses such as mine will be sooner than later. In the meantime, is moving forward on some kind of e-DNA connection to a reputable lab still worth the effort? Personally, I think so. I have not heard anything from Genidaqs on my second email so it looks like I will need to call them in the near future.

The reason I would like to stay with them is two-fold: They were mentioned by a Bigfoot researcher, and they are located close to Northern California which means sample have a better chance of arriving fresh. I also want to look into them actually being the ones taking the samples since they do offer that. I also think they offer the use of free equipment but I need to nail that aspect down to be sure. They do say that on their website:

"Sampling supplies are part of the cost and include filter, end-caps, adapters and tubing. Additional sampling kit equipment (pump, drill) can be borrowed for no-cost, but most clients prefer to own these items. New clients are encouraged to schedule a training session prior to designing their study."

This is exactly the kind of set up I was looking for way back when I was suggesting working with academia where they would let citizen scientists use their equipment. So between submitting samples for testing and then the actual cost of testing then anyone wanting to collect samples wouldn't be out-of-pocket when it comes to actually having a set up in the field for doing so.

They also say this which is why I need to speak with someone at the company (my bolding):

"Please contact us to learn more about creating sampling strategy to increase you PoD (Probability of Detection) by sample replication (how many filters are collected), sampling intervals (spatial and temporal) and sample volume (volume passed through the filter)."

Edited by hiflier
  • 2 weeks later...
hiflier

I'm going to be calling Genidaq tomorrow and see if I can speak to someone regarding a potential program for us to use in our quest. Also I have a list of questions to ask them and if anyone can think of any they wish me to ask on top of what I already have then let me know. Here's the list:

- Are you capable of running such a test?
- Can you access the primers and assays necessary to run species specific testing?
- Would it be better or cheaper to just run a general species protocol?
- What is the cost?
- If the testing is set up, is it better to run one test at a time or wait until a bunch of samples are gathered?
- Is there a cost break for testing more than one sample?
- What equipment or materials are supplied, or available for loan?.
- We already know how to run field samples.
- If an active area is discovered would you prefer water or soil samples?
- What's the turn around time?
- If you get a positive result for a primate other than Human will you tell us?
- By law, do you need to inform someone in authority?
- If positive, can we have enough time to secure legal council before you tell anyone else?
- Do you understand what's at stake should testing show a positive result?
- Would you want to be known as the lab that ran the samples and sent them out for peer review?
- Do you have places that you access for peer reviewing samples of suspected rare species?

- How do you prefer the samples to be shipped to you?

- Chain of custody form to fill out?

- At what point is payment required for services rendered?

- What is your preferred method of payment? 

• Thanks 1
NorthWind

Do you think they might sign an NDA? If I submitted positive testing samples, for instance, I don't want the media or anyone else showing up at my door asking me questions. Maybe there is a way to save samples in one location (freezer?) and submit a bunch at a time, rather than one item at a time, sent by each individual. I suggest that if so, they be coded in a manner that would be only identified by a BFF member so as not to reveal details about home addresses or specific location of the find or finds. Just tossing ideas out. 

SWWASAS

We have to be careful what we wish for.      The person that somehow gets science interested in existence by DNA or any other method may have a difficult time avoiding publicity.    I have been tracked down  and contacted by  "Finding Bigfoot" TV producers and a web forum host.    I did not initiate or desire either contact.   There are very good reasons for not discovering bigfoot.  

hiflier
3 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

The person that somehow gets science interested in existence by DNA or any other method may have a difficult time avoiding publicity.

And my response to any media? "No comment".

3 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

There are very good reasons for not discovering bigfoot.

Yessir, there are. And woe to those who have not thought things through.

hiflier
Posted (edited)

I called, spoke to the secretary, was connected to the person I wished to talk to but got voice mail. Left a message, so looks like perhaps tomorrow if I'm lucky, but more likely first of the week. I did run across a connected website though that listed Genidaq's competitors so there could be options there if things don't work out with this company. Hey, I'm patient. Something will come of this, that, I'm sure of. What is important is that whoever I end up in dialogue with, they need to let me know what I need to do to show that I'm legit. Because I AM legit. So.....we wait.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...
Nipissing

This is a bit of a tangent but I thought it was interesting inasmuch as it connects to the idea of finding evidence in the environment:

https://www.sciencealert.com/can-the-leaves-of-plants-help-us-find-buried-human-remains

The thesis: In the USA, 100 000 people go missing every year. Difficulty in the rapid identification of sites of human decomposition complicates the recovery of bodies, especially in forests. We propose that spectral responses in tree and shrub canopies could act as guides to find cadavers using remote sensing platforms for societal benefit.  Link

• Upvote 1