2020 BFF Researcher of the Year Contest - Win $1500

wiiawiwb
13 hours ago, gigantor said:

I downloaded the video from youtube and put it through edge detection. It looks like a mouse or squirrel triggered the camera. I don't think its a spider.

Giganto ----  that is fascinating. May I ask what software was used to do the edge-detection analysis? That can be very useful in future videos. 

I don't think it is a spider either.  The area where is floats in from is open air and there would need to be a spider web of epic proportion. I've been to this site a number of times and have never seen spider webs in the area.  Also, it seems too coincidental to me that a deer would be huffing at the same time this thing is moving.

That said, I am definitely going back and doing a recreation.

gigantor
5 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

May I ask what software was used to do the edge-detection analysis? That can be very useful in future videos. 

Sure, I created a new thread with the free software here.

JKH

I looked at your video a few times, the object in question doesn't look reflective like eyeshine would. It looks to me like a slowly flying insect such as a small moth.

• Upvote 1
bipedalist
BFF Patron
9 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Giganto ----  that is fascinating. May I ask what software was used to do the edge-detection analysis? That can be very useful in future videos. 

I don't think it is a spider either.  The area where is floats in from is open air and there would need to be a spider web of epic proportion. I've been to this site a number of times and have never seen spider webs in the area.  Also, it seems too coincidental to me that a deer would be huffing at the same time this thing is moving.

That said, I am definitely going back and doing a recreation.

Last I checked other than flying squirrels, squirrels and mice shouldn't be free-floating either?~!?

Doc Holliday

A lazy bat 😁. if we're looking at the same spot, idk, maybe not. Could be a lot of things. Either way it didn't appear to be a $1500  7 ft tall mystery creature.

Something around there spooked that deer to blow though..but that could be coyote, bear anything off camera.

Best of luck to all contestants with the BF tournament.

NCBFr

I am going with moth that looks fast because it is close to the camera.  If that is not correct my second choice is a fish out of water.

• Haha 1
wiiawiwb

On Saturday, I went back to the site to do a reenactment and walk into the camera's view from the right at different distances. Naturally, given all things sasquatch go wrong,  I forgot to put the SD card back in the trailcam and no videos were recorded. I'll get back out within a week and see what it looks like when I approach during the day.

Here's one more night video taken from the same trailcam and it shows quite a few examples of insects in flight.  Everything moves significantly faster, and in random directions, than the floating "thing" approaching from the right in the original video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK1Ksjf8tzA&feature=youtu.be

hiflier

Looks like your "thing" has switched its MO into doing a bit of tree peeping? About halfway up on the left-side of the left tree trunk.

• 2 weeks later...
Skinwalker13

Here's a link for my submission. It was posted here on the forum earlier this year. This would be a huge boost to our research to have a sudden boost of $1500. It would make a nice down payment for a good flir, thats for sure. Enjoy the invesigation report!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
wiiawiwb

Skinwalker13...your report was excellent and glad you're submitting it here. Keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1
Skinwalker13
6 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Skinwalker13...your report was excellent and glad you're submitting it here. Keep up the good work!

Much appreciated, and absolutely will, thanks!