2020 BFF Researcher of the Year Contest - Win $1500

$1500 is a lot of money and I know I'm going to get down votes but my opinion only a photo , video ,  thermal video where you can see the shape  , trail cam pic or DNA

NCBFr

Would not give you a down vote but would give you a single vote as I believe your opinion matters.

With that said, I am thinking someone that comes up with proven BF DNA is an automatic lifetime winner.  The $1,500/yr will help offset the ~$100K that was required to get and authenticate the BF DNA.

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, NCBFr said:

Would not give you a down vote but would give you a single vote as I believe your opinion matters.

With that said, I am thinking someone that comes up with proven BF DNA is an automatic lifetime winner.  The $1,500/yr will help offset the ~$100K that was required to get and authenticate the BF DNA.

I know it's been some what of a hot button issue but everything I've researched the cost to have a EDNA test done was average $86.00? to state agencies . It's low cost for them instead 

of netting , trapping to determine endangered fish populations . That's why they do for the low cost compared to traditional methods .

I know I'm a little out of my field , No a lot out of my field but I don't think it would be any where near a 6 figure cost to determine EDNA if a researcher knew a spot these  creatures were hanging out.

Edited by 7.62
  • Upvote 2
hiflier

Well, 7.62, that's one way of prying an upvote outs me ;) But you're correct. My research has not turned up nearly the price tag for e-DNA testing that folks initially feared- me included. In fact, I'm genuinely surprised at how low the costs can be, plus some outfits will supply all the equipment and materials to do the sampling and for no extra cost. That's a deal in my book. I have waited a full three weeks for a second email to arrive and it hasn't shown up, so tomorrow I am making a phone call to get more info. If I can get this nailed down then we'll all know exactly what is expected, what supplies would be available, and what the cost would be. On thing I'm hoping to find out is, if a bunch of samples get submitted, would there be a price break if the same set up for running one sample could be used to run several.

That alone wouldn't be a candidate for the $1,500 but if someone's sample came back positive then that sure would be. In truth it would be worth way more than just a being candidate for the prize considering the scientific ripples it could generate.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Well, 7.62, that's one way of prying an upvote outs me ;) But you're correct. My research has not turned up nearly the price tag for e-DNA testing that folks initially feared- me included. In fact, I'm genuinely surprised at how low the costs can be, plus some outfits will supply all the equipment and materials to do the sampling and for no extra cost. That's a deal in my book. I have waited a full three weeks for a second email to arrive and it hasn't shown up, so tomorrow I am making a phone call to get more info. If I can get this nailed down then we'll all know exactly what is expected, what supplies would be available, and what the cost would be. On thing I'm hoping to find out is, if a bunch of samples get submitted, would there be a price break if the same set up for running one sample could be used to run several.

That alone wouldn't be a candidate for the $1,500 but if someone's sample came back positive then that sure would be. In truth it would be worth way more than just a being candidate for the prize considering the scientific ripples it could generate.

Boy ! Wouldn't it be something if it happened here on this forum . I guess the hardest part now is finding a hot spot where they are bedding and feeding . I'm convinced also this is a proven method  to determine and solidify it's existence . Unless someone comes up with a body no photo or film will be proof enough to science .

• Upvote 1
hiflier
27 minutes ago, 7.62 said:

Boy ! Wouldn't it be something if it happened here on this forum . I guess the hardest part now is finding a hot spot where they are bedding and feeding . I'm convinced also this is a proven method  to determine and solidify it's existence . Unless someone comes up with a body no photo or film will be proof enough to science .

That's the plan...to make it happen on THIS FORUM. And compared to what it has taken to arrive at this point, at least for me, the incentive for finding a hot spot or a bedding area will be easier once we know there is a place that has advanced notice on what might be coming their way. The idea being they will be able to at least line up the sources (suppliers) they will need to access in order to acquire the correct primers and assays for running the tests. If we don't have our ducks in a row and everything worked out ahead of time, then any samples collected will just sit useless with nowhere to go.

I look at it like what you said about coming up with a body. Same thing. If a body is what someone is after then a lab or some facility should be lined up ahead of time to receive it before the creature is either dispatched or found dead. This is all prep work that needs to be done with the body aspect being the most difficult and dangerous. Think George Carlin's comparison of baseball to football (very funny), the exception being, this is no joke because even a positive outcome on the e-DNA front would be hugely worrisome. It would be helpful to know if everyone is ready should peer-reviewed testing prove the creature exists.

Personally, I get goose bumps and my heart races a bit just thinking about it. Am I a little nervous being the point person? You betcha I am. 

• Upvote 1
NorthWind
13 hours ago, 7.62 said:

Boy ! Wouldn't it be something if it happened here on this forum .

You mean, "WHEN it happens..."

Because it will.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
AtariBfpics

Can I submit multiple images/videos or do I have to chose just one image/video?

attached image taken from security camera video recorded on my property..

1594829583088_Inkedsquatch_LI.jpg

• Upvote 1
NatFoot

Looks like an eskimo. Don't remember seeing that pic from the original thread....or don't remember the face jumping out like that.

• Haha 1
gigantor
13 hours ago, AtariBfpics said:

Can I submit multiple images/videos or do I have to chose just one image/video?

You can submit as many pics/videos as you want.

AtariBfpics
1 hour ago, NatFoot said:

Looks like an eskimo. Don't remember seeing that pic from the original thread....or don't remember the face jumping out like that.

Mom with the white face..its been up on here since March, no one has noticed it yet In the video...I didn't either till it was pointed out to me..

Screenshot_20200309-014349~3.png