2020 BFF Researcher of the Year Contest - Win $1750

wiiawiwb

The area sounds great with little foot traffic, if any, except for you.  I agree that it's very easy to hop-scotch around to various locations and not fully investigate and get to know any one area. 

I enjoy poking around, trying to read the landscape, to see what's been through. What looks out of place, grasses pushed, leaves bent, moss slightly displaced, anything that will tell me something has been there.

Some of the guys I've gone with over the years want to do more of the glitzy stuff which, admittedly, is more fun. Get in, get it revved up, see what happens, then get out. I tend more toward the steady gumshoeing. Get there early, leave late, and take my time. Looking for any clue and staying on course. A steady Eddie. 

• Upvote 4
gigantor

A distinguished BFF member who wants to remain anonymous has donated another $250 for the contest.

The prize is now $1,750.

Thank You!

(you know who you are)

:rock:  :drinks:  :yahoo:

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1
  • gigantor changed the title to 2020 BFF Researcher of the Year Contest - Win $1750
wiiawiwb

Wow, that donation speaks loudly to the dedication of that individual to this effort, our effort, of sasquatching. My hat is off to that person.  His, or her, decision of anonymity underscores both a charitable spirit and devotion to this effort. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

• Upvote 1
Incorrigible1
7 hours ago, gigantor said:

A distinguished BFF member who wants to remain anonymous has donated another $250 for the contest.

The prize is now $1,750.

Thank You!

(you know who you are)

:rock:  :drinks:  :yahoo:

Thank you, interested sir or madam, from an interested, long-time BFF member. My eternal gratitude.

• 3 weeks later...
Doc Holliday

ya know, a $250 a week allowance for bf-ery would get me closer to researcher status with new scope, scent lok suits some flir etc hint hint😆

how ever..big props n kudos to whoever stepped up, nicely done.

now about my allowance...

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
wiiawiwb

There are still five weeks to go for 2020 and it's possible for anyone to pull the proverbial rabbit from a hat. 

I think Madison and Northwind, and BlackRockBigfoot are doing phenomenal work this year. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
BlackRockBigfoot
3 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

There are still five weeks to go for 2020 and it's possible for anyone to pull the proverbial rabbit from a hat. 

I think Madison and Northwind, and BlackRockBigfoot are doing phenomenal work this year. 

Thanks for the kind words!

The weather has been working against us lately...seems like there is a major storm moving through this region almost every week.  The leaves falling have added to the difficulties of finding and tracking prints.  

We did find an odd print this past weekend.  The ground was sodden, but I was unable to leave a similar depression into the ground, even with Jessi's weight added to my own. There were toe impressions...more visible to the big toe side and slightly washed out as the toes got smaller.  The red clay is pretty hard through here, so the impression that it made was unusual.

Not a huge print, but like I have said before...that seems to be the case with this part of the South.  Roughly 15 long.  

The weight and toe prints made this one pique my interest...along with the location.  As with everything else, I hesitate to call it evidence...more like the suggestion of a possibility.

36183~2.jpeg

We have also heard strange growls and grunts in this area.  Ever since we missed capturing that loud wail, our M.O. is to plant the Zoom H4N Pro in a central location and kind of work our way around it.  Moving seems to result in us experiencing more possible activity than remaining stationary.  I captured two odd noises that sound similar to what we have heard before in the same area where that we found the above print.  I am trying to make sure that the sounds don't have an obvious, mundane cause.  If it looks like it might be interesting, I will post it up here as well.  

• Upvote 2
gigantor
29 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

The ground was sodden, but I was unable to leave a similar depression into the ground, even with Jessi's weight added to my own.

Good work BRB, but you should've taken a picture of Jessie with her foot next to the impression you found for a size comparison.  ;)

• Haha 1
BlackRockBigfoot
8 hours ago, gigantor said:

Good work BRB, but you should've taken a picture of Jessie with her foot next to the impression you found for a size comparison.  ;)

"Jessi for scale"

norseman
15 hours ago, gigantor said:

Footprint? What footprint!?

• Haha 1
ShadowBorn

BRB

I can see the print and would say that the print measures about 13" long. The toe's look kind of pointy and very spread out. Which is some of the things that I have found in the prints in my area of research. I can say that I do find your one print intriguing. Were you able to find more prints other then just this one print ? also I notice that the ground look kind of frosty. Was this an early in the morning find ? 

BlackRockBigfoot
12 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

BRB

I can see the print and would say that the print measures about 13" long. The toe's look kind of pointy and very spread out. Which is some of the things that I have found in the prints in my area of research. I can say that I do find your one print intriguing. Were you able to find more prints other then just this one print ? also I notice that the ground look kind of frosty. Was this an early in the morning find ? 

The stick that you see along the top was placed at the end of the print.  That leaf that is beneath the tape measure is pressed into the ground.  I don't blame you for not seeing it.  It is hard to get an adequate picture at night, which is when we were out.  

We found several prints that seemed to be the same size.  

We ran into a hunter up there a few months ago.  At the time, he expressed some surprise that he was actually seeing other people up there because, in his words, there were no deer up there.  

In the area where we found the print, there were what looked like boot prints followed by intermittent drag marks.  We found a small tuft of brown fur on a log, which led me to believe that someone actually saw and shot a deer up there.  The large bare footprints seemed to be following the same path as the possible hunter.  The boot prints were faint where they were not erased by the drag marks...as faint as our prints are in this area, even when the ground is sodden.  

I will be the first to say that I am building a narrative here, but it could be interpreted as who/whatever made the large bare footprints was following the hunter transporting out his dead deer.  

We have seen a total of one deer up there ourselves over the past several months, so there are at least a few up there.  That's still unusual for this area.  The surrounding areas are thick with deer right now.  

The toes seemed splayed, but I didn't get the impression that they were pointy.  You are finding similar prints in your neck of the woods?

Finally...no, not frost.  That's probably condensation reflecting our lights back.  We were lighting it from different angles to try and best pick up the details.  It's been extremely wet and general crappy weather around here this year.

20 hours ago, norseman said:

Footprint? What footprint!?

People do find her a bit distracting.

Skinwalker13
On 11/21/2020 at 11:54 AM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Thanks for the kind words!

The weather has been working against us lately...seems like there is a major storm moving through this region almost every week.  The leaves falling have added to the difficulties of finding and tracking prints.  

We did find an odd print this past weekend.  The ground was sodden, but I was unable to leave a similar depression into the ground, even with Jessi's weight added to my own. There were toe impressions...more visible to the big toe side and slightly washed out as the toes got smaller.  The red clay is pretty hard through here, so the impression that it made was unusual.

Not a huge print, but like I have said before...that seems to be the case with this part of the South.  Roughly 15 long.  

The weight and toe prints made this one pique my interest...along with the location.  As with everything else, I hesitate to call it evidence...more like the suggestion of a possibility.

36183~2.jpeg

We have also heard strange growls and grunts in this area.  Ever since we missed capturing that loud wail, our M.O. is to plant the Zoom H4N Pro in a central location and kind of work our way around it.  Moving seems to result in us experiencing more possible activity than remaining stationary.  I captured two odd noises that sound similar to what we have heard before in the same area where that we found the above print.  I am trying to make sure that the sounds don't have an obvious, mundane cause.  If it looks like it might be interesting, I will post it up here as well.  

did you sling some plaster??? 

BlackRockBigfoot
7 minutes ago, Skinwalker13 said:

did you sling some plaster??? 

Lol.  No.  Just pics.  

I took your advice and ordered the hydro cal instead of the Perfect Cast that I was using.  Currently awaiting its arrival.  I ordered a larger bag so that I can practice casting in different conditions like you suggested.

Thanks again for the advice.  Casting was not something that really appealed to me until recently.  

• Upvote 1