Is Sasquatch a Construct of The Human Mind?

Todd Prescott

I'm not of the mind that Sasquatch is a construct of the human mind. As researchers I do however think that it's important to at least listen to the views of others whether or not we agree with them. Back in 1978 the first ever Bigfoot/Sasquatch Conference was held. Here are some excerpts from the Conference which feature the opinions of those who believe that Sasquatch is merely a human construct. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3VaqNJMGgA

Instead of starting numerous general threads with basic questions regarding videos from your ytube channel, perhaps consider a dedicated archive thread in the Video forum.

Edited by JKH
  • Upvote 3

Sounds good JKH. Thanks. I'll try to set that up. Been years since I've been on the forum and I'm trying to navigate through it all again. 

• Upvote 1

Is Sasquatch a Construct of The Human Mind? is actually a fascinating question. This is exactly the conclusion reached by author Joshua Blu Buhs in his  book, Bigfoot: The Life and Times of a Legend.

Though, in this case, treating Bigfoot as cultural imagination could just be for sales. I bought it, wasn't bad, I thought it could have gone a little deeper into it. It's kinda boring pop culture analysis and despite it's blandness, the book received all kinds of notable web reviews in NY Times, Wired magazine, and lots of other places. So the idea of Bigfoot being a human construct definitely sells.

Edited by Arvedis

On 7/3/2020 at 10:57 AM, Todd Prescott said:

Here are some excerpts from the Conference which feature the opinions of those who believe that Sasquatch is merely a human construct. Thoughts?

Thoughts?   NONSENSE!!!   "Human constructs" do not leave castable tracks (which I have found) or recordable vocalizations (which I have both heard and recorded).    Seems pretty weak.   There are aspects within the totality of "bigfootery" which are likely human constructs, yes.   Many of them seem related to Stockhome Syndrome and psychological mechanisms for coping.   The thing they are coping with, though, is real enough.

MIB

No doubt that is true for certain individuals. I especially think when it comes to Native Americans and other sects ,religion and spiritualism are prevalent.

Then there are misidentifications,hoaxed videos,controversial tracks.

One outstanding film, lots of reports and stories.

What is left is more questions than answers and of course there is the possibility that there is in fact  Man apes do in fact exist in the here and now

Edited by Patterson-Gimlin
  • Upvote 1

Could there be people making up these creature exist? Yes! Why not . Why would they not make up their own sighting . Come on , we have to be honest about this that not all witnesses are all that honest on what they see. That there are people out there that are just looking for attention. So yes , this could be a part of human construct in certain situation . But only to draw attention to themselves..  

13 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

Could there be people making up these creature exist? Yes! Why not . Why would they not make up their own sighting . Come on , we have to be honest about this that not all witnesses are all that honest on what they see. That there are people out there that are just looking for attention. So yes , this could be a part of human construct in certain situation . But only to draw attention to themselves..  

No, at least not all of them.   Some sighting claims might be hoaxed.    Some sightings might be hoaxed without the witnesses' participation.   Mine could not have been ... the first would have been a fatality if it'd been a person in a suit and the second .. no human in history has ever run that fast, not by a wide margin.   Individual tracks, at times, could be faked, but the trackline I found could not have been faked.  

There are hoaxes.   That makes it harder to separate the wheat from the chaff, but there are legitimate reports as well.   It only takes one real report for bigfoot to be real, it requires ALL reports to be hoaxes for bigfoot to be fake.

MIB

10 hours ago, MIB said:

No, at least not all of them

You are right about that . Not all of them can be the construct of the human mind. But you do have to admit that most sightings can be unsure sightings and those need to be vetted. There can be those mistaken sightings where the witness are just not sure but still report them as being sure they saw some thing. It has to be up to the investigator to be sure that sighting is legit. Other wise it is what we would call a construct of the human mind.

People can convince them selves to think they saw what ever they wish they saw. I don't really think that's really lying but in a group of people who go and research 

they kind of feed off one another to convince themselves they saw or heard what they want to hear.

I think when you research by yourself there's less of a chance for this to happen.