Snakeproof gaiters

wiiawiwb

• 7 months later...
On 7/12/2020 at 9:06 AM, Huntster said:

The comfort and fit is important to me, after effectiveness, of course. I even considered snake pants, but have rejected them after weighing the cost, discomfort, need for the protection above the knee, and the fact that I'm primarily a winter visitor to snake country. 

Last year, I encountered two Timber Rattlers and both chose not to strike. I contacted a number of herpetologists and 7 of them responded to me. I was curious about the likelihood of a strike above the knee. All of them said they have never heard of one but could imagine it could happen it you were walking up an incline, and the rattler was above you, or if you sat down on a log or rock and it could reach your thigh.

There was no reason to take any chances so I bought a pair of chaps from Turtleskin, the same company that makes the snake gaiters. They are very lightweight and flexible and are used when going off trail.  When wearing them, there is no concern where I step.

They're light enough that you can bring the chaps in your pack and take off the snake gaiters and put on the chaps.  When away from the vertical, take off the chaps and put on the gaiters.

https://turtleskin.com/default/total-protection-snake-chaps.html

The other rattler-related change I've made is to wear leather boots that are thick enough to fend off a bite.  That's been a bit of a transition as I've always worn low trail runners when in the woods.  Not any more in snake country. 

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 2

With Spring at our doorstep it's time to get back out into the woods.  I was looking at recent records regarding fatal rattlesnake bites. In the past 4 years, two people were bitten on the ankle, one in Alabama and one in Colorado.

It underscores the first line of defense is a pair of boots that will withstand a snake bite. A friend I go hiking with will use his snake gaiters but still wears trail runners in snake territory despite my advice otherwise.  The fatal ankle bites mentioned above are consistent with what one of the herpetologists told me regarding the hydraulics of a snake bite.

Those also trekking around in snake territory be safe and at least wear shoes/boots that will protect you from a bite.

That's for sure. Lots of mean ole' rattlers there!  It's going to be a lot different terrain in Texas than you're used to.  The Eastern/Northeastern regions looks to have ample forests and lakes.

With the amount of small streams and marshy area I hunt in and the reports of a fairly healthy timber rattler population as well as copperheads, I went the route of picking up a pair of snakeproof rubber boots. Lacrosse 4xAlphas. They've been fairly comfortable so far and I hope to never test whether or not they deliver on the snakeproof promise but I will say the material feels sturdy and yet is flexible enough for comfortable walking.

That's great that you recognize the potential for a real problem and have taken steps to minimize it.  I've never worn a pac boot but they are very popular.  Lacrosse has a  good reputation too.

• 3 weeks later...

This evening, I happened upon an episode of Expedition Bigfoot in Kentucky while channel surfing. I noticed Mayor and Ronnie were poking around a swampy area and both were wearing gaiters. His were clearly snake gaiters. They appeared more rigid and might be either Snake Guardz or Crackshot.  I suspect she was wearing snake gaiters too but I couldn't identify them from the limited spots on TV I could see them.

I've been out twice this past week and wearing them both times. When I get off trail, or do an overnight, the chaps are coming along too.

This is the size of a Timber Rattler I encountered twice last year--both very close to me. It's unsettling just thinking about it.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I just found a picture of the first Timber Rattler encountered in my research area.  It is in the "black phase" and has a fair number of rattle segments. I got close to it, without knowing it was there, and it politely let me know it was time to move on.

1732448933_TimberRattler7-2-17.thumb.JPG.651e092fda0b1ac90b28f2fe3dc5fda4.JPG

• Like 1