Breeding season for these creatures

Guest Warren

Guest Warren

Thanks all for the replies be it funny or serious as this is the only way to approach this subject to me as some have trouble believing and others scoff at me because i believe. ona another note if one could find a way to lure one in with this technique the animals attention would be on the scent and not the individual hiding away for the rouse, anyway thanks for welcoming me to this site and happy hunting.

Daleywoodbeater, the lesson I learned is to pick your trees wisely. Ones with thick enough branches to support you, but not thick enough to support a big foot. Also one tall enough it can't reach you by jumping and one big enough in diameter it can't push it over. Though, it might take a while to find such a tree, especially with a sasquatch hot on your heels, when you do, get up it as fast as you can.

I know that primate's generally don't have a keenly developed sense of smell compared to other animals and lack a particular sense organ that picks up on pheromones.  They think that the development of color vision lead to the loss of pheromones.  Gorillas use a musk to warn off potential competition, but are there primates that actually use pheromones in mate selection?  Not more subtle social odors, but straight up pheromones?

Like Norseman said, primates don't have mating seasons, and like I mentioned before, primates use their vision for arousal and mate selection.  No way to lure one in by appealing to their mating urges without crossing over into the absurd or the flat out gross.  

Feeding, fighting, fleeing, or.... fornicating.  Those are the primal drives.  Feeding or fighting might be the way to draw them in.

6 hours ago, Doug said:

Daleywoodbeater, the lesson I learned is to pick your trees wisely. Ones with thick enough branches to support you, but not thick enough to support a big foot. Also one tall enough it can't reach you by jumping and one big enough in diameter it can't push it over. Though, it might take a while to find such a tree, especially with a sasquatch hot on your heels, when you do, get up it as fast as you can.

Prevention is better than cure. Don't venture into a squatchy area with a used tampon in the first place :D

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2020 at 6:24 PM, Doug said:

I read of an account where the researcher dragged a used tampon around be hind him and had a very unpleasant encounter with a sasquatch. It kept him up in a tree all night as the branches that supported the researcher, could support the bigfoot so it couldn't reach him. I forget which website I read the encounter on.

Hmmmm.... sounds like something I should add to my tool belt. 

Hey, they supposedly stink to high whatever sometimes, right? What do witnesses describe the odor to be like? Old socks? Dirty diapers?  A reeking (freaking?) dead animal? Smell like that, and you may be seen as competition perhaps. And what do animals do when competition is close by? Some members say peeing can have results as it is viewed as marking territory. Of course one might be ready with Norseman's Plan B.......or would that be Plan A ;) 

On 7/9/2020 at 8:08 AM, Warren said:

I was listening to a BF conference on u tube and the speaker was talking about  bigfoot's could possibly have certain time frames for mating. My question is if so couldn't they be hunted or studied  in the same manner we approach other wild life(ie: Deer,turkeys ). we use calls and scents to lure them into range. I'm just wondering as i am new to this subject but have hunted all my life. 

They might, in general, but I think they mate year around when the overall conditions are right.   My suspicion is they have a 12 month gestation period, plus or minus, and the "gatherings" have two functions, first bringing males and females from different groups together for mating, second for the group to hunt to provide food for the females giving birth.   How better to prove to a potential mate your ability to provide food for HER than to demonstrate doing it for others?   That is a serious question.    I think the timing for the peak of that varies with locale based on climate .. what is the optimal time for giving birth in location X? .. but is not absolutely fixed.   I think there are some smaller numbers of births at other times of year .. depends on what was happening a year earlier.  

There's an old wives tale about salmon returning to the same gravel bed they were hatched in to spawn.   Not true.  Once we began tagging programs we saw how much variation there really is.   It makes sense.   If a land slide, flood, lahar, etc wipes out an entire generation of fish in a stream, it does not stay barren, instead, among anadromous species, fish hatched in other streams make use of the opportunity, the void.   On the Rogue we used to catch a good number of fish that were hatched and tagged on the Klamath.   I do think they try to return to similar streams as indicated by the smell of the water, minerals suspended, etc, but it is hit or miss whether they return to THEIR home river or merely get a close facsimile thereof.  

The connection ... that ability to adapt ... to have some percentage giving birth off the main cycle ... provides a backup plan for the survival of the species if something disastrous occurs during normal birthing / mating times.

MIB

SSR Team
19 hours ago, MIB said:

They might, in general, but I think they mate year around when the overall conditions are right.   My suspicion is they have a 12 month gestation period, plus or minus, and the "gatherings" have two functions, first bringing males and females from different groups together for mating, second for the group to hunt to provide food for the females giving birth.   How better to prove to a potential mate your ability to provide food for HER than to demonstrate doing it for others?   That is a serious question.    I think the timing for the peak of that varies with locale based on climate .. what is the optimal time for giving birth in location X? .. but is not absolutely fixed.   I think there are some smaller numbers of births at other times of year .. depends on what was happening a year earlier.  

I found an interesting something once MIB, in WA.

Without going in to too much detail, i was listening to a lady (i'm sure you know who i mean) on a podcast who lived in rural western WA and had alleged ongoing activity on her property for some time and was adamant that she would get different animals pass through at specific times of a year and that they were mating due to the change in vocals she was hearing when the different animals were around.

What was interesting was that if you drew a line from dead centre in the Olympic National Park due south, and you drew a line dead center of Mount Rainier National Park due West, you'd end up close to exactly where she lived where both lines crossed.

Now i'm not saying for one moment that Sasquatches can use protractors and maps, but............;)

1 hour ago, BobbyO said:

Now i'm not saying for one moment that Sasquatches can use protractors and maps, but............;)

No, not exactly, but would not be surprised if they manage something similar using various landmarks, seasonal weather changes, and celestial events.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MIB said:

No, not exactly, but would not be surprised if they manage something similar using various landmarks, seasonal weather changes, and celestial events.

If the BF species is anything like indigenous peoples then that could be exactly the methods they used.

Edited by Arvedis

Happened to listen to a podcast where a person investigating over years in his home area recalled an old timer telling him to stay away from certain places in the spring, as it was birthing time.

SSR Team
23 hours ago, JKH said:

Happened to listen to a podcast where a person investigating over years in his home area recalled an old timer telling him to stay away from certain places in the spring, as it was birthing time.

Funny you should say that, the lady in the podcast interview i mentioned above also said about Spring and May specifically, and the reports (across the board, not just hers) backed that up too.

Ok here's the charts from when i looked in to the reports, these must be 10 years old now. You can clearly see the Spring focus though. These reports are from the Olympic Peninsula in WA State.

For clarity's sake :

Capitol = Capitol Forest, which was the general area of her property.

e0cbb169-6fc4-413d-92dc-c3bbb3e51dac.jpg

f9adf6ba-dbb5-437b-9616-424d6f82cb0e.jpg

Guest Warren
On 7/12/2020 at 4:08 PM, JKH said:

JKH this correlates to what Im asking. IF there all born in the spring the breeding must take place in a certain time frame as well (summer,fall) maybe?. hunting would be better as odds go up catching one on the prowl.:thumbsup: