Breeding season for these creatures

Guest Warren

Welcome, Warren. I don't generally suggest hunting or catching them, and neither did the advisor in the anecdote. He said to the younger man something like "you WILL disappear". Perhaps he spoke from experiencing a scary incident in his time, hard to say. Just thought I'd throw it out there. As others note, humans and apes are continuous breeders. BFs probably are, too.

On 7/12/2020 at 9:42 AM, BobbyO said:

Without going in to too much detail, i was listening to a lady (i'm sure you know who i mean) on a podcast who lived in rural western WA and had alleged ongoing activity on her property for some time and was adamant that she would get different animals pass through at specific times of a year and that they were mating due to the change in vocals she was hearing when the different animals were around.

Maybe spring gatherings are more of a cultural phenomenon, I recall Sasfooty saying so. She also said that they change the noises they make with the seasons.

• Upvote 1

North of Hoquaim and Aberdeen, WA and West of Matlock there is an area that doesn't looked logged on Google Earth although thee is much logging in areas around the region. Almost like the area is off limits? It is Southwest of the Capital Forest. Jon Green's database has two reports of large BF females. Yes, it's a stretch to think that forest in a breeding area based on just two reports but I still have always thought it indicated a mating place:

"Verlin Herrington, a summer deputy sheriff, was returning home after an incident, going down Deekay Road, at 2:35 a.m., when he rounded a curve and saw what looked like a large bear standing in the middle of the road. He stopped, realized it was not a bear, as it had a flat face, feet and hands. He put spotlight on it, it walked to the edge of the road, stopped, turned and looked at him. He got out of car and it went into the brush. Next morning he found where it went into the bush and where it had come back out on the roadway. He found one indentation 18 1/2 inches long, and photographed it, but no good track. Estimated height 7 to 7 1/2 feet, weight over 300 pounds."

"Fred Bradshaw driving on Weyerhauser Rd. 7200 heading back to hunting camp location in a jeep, saw a creature step out onto the road and came to a stop about 25 feet from it. It stood and looked at him, shading its eyes from the lights. Six foot or more, had large breasts, long arms, slim hips but a paunch. Covered with black hair. Eyes yellowish brown but glowed like spotlights when directly reflecting headlights. (see Creature section for more detail). Came back a week later and found 9 tracks, 15" x 6.5" x 4", seen also by friend Carol. Went for plaster, but deluge wiped them out. Sighting ended when creature took two steps towards the jeep. Bradshaw backed up and took off. This is Bradshaw's second sighting report."

I still need to look at that area and see if there is a geo set up similar to finger ridge/river set up that the Olympic Project detailed in their nest discovery. I'm not sure if a North/South running stream below a West-facing finger ridge is the general pattern to look for but I'm curious to view what the terrain in that forested area shows.

39 minutes ago, hiflier said:

North of Hoquaim and Aberdeen, WA and West of Matlock there is an area that doesn't looked logged on Google Earth although thee is much logging in areas around the region. Almost like the area is off limits? It is Southwest of the Capital Forest. Jon Green's database has two reports of large BF females. Yes, it's a stretch to think that forest in a breeding area based on just two reports but I still have always thought it indicated a mating place:

"Verlin Herrington, a summer deputy sheriff, was returning home after an incident, going down Deekay Road, at 2:35 a.m., when he rounded a curve and saw what looked like a large bear standing in the middle of the road. He stopped, realized it was not a bear, as it had a flat face, feet and hands. He put spotlight on it, it walked to the edge of the road, stopped, turned and looked at him. He got out of car and it went into the brush. Next morning he found where it went into the bush and where it had come back out on the roadway. He found one indentation 18 1/2 inches long, and photographed it, but no good track. Estimated height 7 to 7 1/2 feet, weight over 300 pounds."

"Fred Bradshaw driving on Weyerhauser Rd. 7200 heading back to hunting camp location in a jeep, saw a creature step out onto the road and came to a stop about 25 feet from it. It stood and looked at him, shading its eyes from the lights. Six foot or more, had large breasts, long arms, slim hips but a paunch. Covered with black hair. Eyes yellowish brown but glowed like spotlights when directly reflecting headlights. (see Creature section for more detail). Came back a week later and found 9 tracks, 15" x 6.5" x 4", seen also by friend Carol. Went for plaster, but deluge wiped them out. Sighting ended when creature took two steps towards the jeep. Bradshaw backed up and took off. This is Bradshaw's second sighting report."

I still need to look at that area and see if there is a geo set up similar to finger ridge/river set up that the Olympic Project detailed in their nest discovery. I'm not sure if a North/South running stream below a West-facing finger ridge is the general pattern to look for but I'm curious to view what the terrain in that forested area shows.

It’s a state park.

https://www.stateparks.com/olympic_state_wildlife_recreation_area_in_washington.html

SSR Team

That Capitol State Forest has been absolutely hammered for bike tracks etc now i think you'll find, it's MotoX heaven in there.

There does appear to be a thing with these west facing ridges though H no doubt, the new finds earlier this year were also positioned on them.

Let me add too regarding the huckleberry element that i found last month, especially the Evergreen Huckleberry (otherwise known as Florist Huckleberry, Californian Huckleberry, Shot Huckleberry and Florist's Huckleberry) which is the Huckleberry found within the areas of the nest finds. Check this out, i think it's very cool..;)

"The leaves are antiseptic, astringent, carminative and hypoglycaemic. An infusion of the leaves and sugar have been given to a mother after childbirth to help her regain her strength."

Shane talks more about the nests and the Huckleberry angle here - http://strangeharbor.net/speaker/shane-corson/ 

It should be noted that not all Huckleberry is/was used where childbirth is concerned. Evergreen Huckleberry, Bog Bilberry and the Black Huckleberry are the only Vaccinium to have "birthing aid" confirmed within their medicinal purposes.

I have also read that Rubus Spectabilis (Salmonberry) was used by the Quinault women a long time back for medicinal purposes including after childbirth.

Also bear in mind the huge piles of leaves found directly at these nest areas, huge piles just sitting there.

This is the only thing that has got me excited about this subject in a long, long time..;)

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BobbyO said:

That Capitol State Forest has been absolutely hammered for bike tracks etc now i think you'll find, it's MotoX heaven in there.

There does appear to be a thing with these west facing ridges though H no doubt, the new finds earlier this year were also positioned on them.

Let me add too regarding the huckleberry element that i found last month, especially the Evergreen Huckleberry (otherwise known as Florist Huckleberry, Californian Huckleberry, Shot Huckleberry and Florist's Huckleberry) which is the Huckleberry found within the areas of the nest finds. Check this out, i think it's very cool..;)

"The leaves are antiseptic, astringent, carminative and hypoglycaemic. An infusion of the leaves and sugar have been given to a mother after childbirth to help her regain her strength."

Shane talks more about the nests and the Huckleberry angle here - http://strangeharbor.net/speaker/shane-corson/ 

It should be noted that not all Huckleberry is/was used where childbirth is concerned. Evergreen Huckleberry, Bog Bilberry and the Black Huckleberry are the only Vaccinium to have "birthing aid" confirmed within their medicinal purposes.

I have also read that Rubus Spectabilis (Salmonberry) was used by the Quinault women a long time back for medicinal purposes including after childbirth.

Also bear in mind the huge piles of leaves found directly at these nest areas, huge piles just sitting there.

This is the only thing that has got me excited about this subject in a long, long time..;)

Dear Lord.... these nests are being made by HIPPIES!

😉

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, BobbyO said:

It's a good theory that should be looked at. BF research needs a Wikipedia where researchers can refer to. What do I look for if I find a possible BF nest? Identify the materials used. Catalog the types of materials so other researchers can cross reference.

If such a reference exists now, it's not widely known.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Arvedis said:

It's a good theory that should be looked at. BF research needs a Wikipedia where researchers can refer to. What do I look for if I find a possible BF nest? Identify the materials used. Catalog the types of materials so other researchers can cross reference.

If such a reference exists now, it's not widely known.

No.

Your BF Wikipedia would be overrun by trolls and all different types of BF folks claiming and editing things as fact.

A central BF website that takes a stance on what they believe (F&B, paranormal, whatever) that covers what you said? Sure.

But by definition, it can't be crowd/publically (or at least heavily moderated) generated/editable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NatFoot said:

No.

Your BF Wikipedia would be overrun by trolls and all different types of BF folks claiming and editing things as fact.

A central BF website that takes a stance on what they believe (F&B, paranormal, whatever) that covers what you said? Sure.

But by definition, it can't be crowd/publically (or at least heavily moderated) generated/editable.

That's a good point. Everything that's public and editable gets overrun by trolling. It would still be good to have some consistent guidance in an accessible place, maybe not editable except by a few people.

• Upvote 1

On 7/14/2020 at 2:26 PM, BobbyO said:

Very interesting. May be a stupid question, but are you guys detailing these finds elsewhere? Would love to read more!

• Upvote 1

Happened to listen to a podcast where a person investigating over years in his home area recalled an old timer telling him to stay away from certain places in the spring, as it was birthing time.

It all depends on how long for the mother to give birth. But my guess would that the mother might give birth by fall or even in the summer.  Like I have said before there have been times that I have smelt this sweet flower smell that I cannot explain during hunting season. I have smelt this in heavy brush areas where i could not get into. The smell is very hard to describe but made me feel very at ease. I felt very comfortable around it. So could they be mating in the beginning of winter and giving birth in spring?

• Haha 1

@NatFoot

It is not the smell of them getting it on  if this is what you suggest. I am suggesting that the and what others have suggested to me when i described this smell to them. Was that this might be the smell of a new born that might be wrapped up or even meant to smell like that flower smell that i cannot describe. All I can say is that aroma was very odd in the area I was hunting and there was no flowers blooming in that area.

Curious, wouldn't predators key in upon a distinctive odor of a newborn, if such were to be the case?

33 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Curious, wouldn't predators key in upon a distinctive odor of a newborn, if such were to be the case?

With Elk and Deer calves? They are born odorless. And they instinctively lay perfectly still. Using their brown coat and spots to blend in. The mother will attempt to draw predators away from the area.

Higher Primates? Orangutan babies never lose physical contact with their mothers for 5-6 years after birth. Not once. To do so means the chance of falling out of the canopy to almost certain death. I think Gorillas and Chimps are similar good moms and so I don’t see a benefit for the newborn to smell distinctive. If it’s clinging to its mother her scent is going to overpower it anyhow.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1