What is making this sound?

wiiawiwb

This sound was recorded in the past month and I'm trying to identify what it was. The sound was recorded at around midnight so it would be some thing that would be nocturnal.  In the 15-second audio, there are 3 hissing sounds made which seem more animal to me than bird. At first, I thought it might be a raccoon but I don't think that's the case. You may want to turn the video up a bit.

Any thoughts or guesses?

Converted trailcam.mp3

Edited by wiiawiwb
NCBFr

Are you sure it is not the same sound looped 4 times (you said 3 but I heard 4).  If it was looped it could be a deer huffing.  If it was not looped the only thing I can think of is human prank.

NorthWind

Sounds like me after a mosquito flies up my nose.

Seriously though, it does sound more animal than bird. It doesn't sound like too big of a critter, however, but it's hard to tell. I heard four, as well. Interesting audio.

wiiawiwb

Not sure what you mean by the sound "looped".  It is audio taken from a continuous 15-second video from a trailcam. It is not a 4-second audio repeated 4 times.  It's also in an area where a human would be no where around at noon much less at midnight.

Interestingly enough, it does sound like a deer huffing. I think you hit the nail on the head!

JKH

I had one of those that I posted in the Bark? noises thread, it was id'ed as a deer alarm also.

200427_001bark.wav

Edited by JKH
SWWASAS

I looked at it on sonic visualizer.       There were 4 sound events.       Each last about a half second.     While the sounds sound the same to my ear,   the wave forms of each event are slightly different from each other.      So it is something making each of the 4 sounds and not a loop of any sort.     Since I was looking I looked for indicators of infrasound and found none.  

ShadowBorn

So do you have video of the critter making the noise ? Since it did come off a trail cam. If it was a deer then there must be more pictures of deer on this trail cam. The question is was this deer if it was a deer was alerted when who ever went to retrieve the trail cam at the time. If it did happen at night then there must have ben some thing there that alerted this deer that needed to alert the rest of the herd. More info is needed.

Pressurecook

This sounds like a deer huffing. In the fall if we're walking the grass/wood line we can sometimes hear them huffing at us.

BlackRockBigfoot
19 minutes ago, Pressurecook said:

This sounds like a deer huffing. In the fall if we're walking the grass/wood line we can sometimes hear them huffing at us.

I agree.  

• 1 month later...