Do the police take squatch reports seriously?

DaleyWoodbeater

I live in England, so this question doesn't apply here, but what's the general attitude of police officers in America when squatch incidents get reported?

I don't think that there are many reports of "hey, there is a giant ape outside of my house".  The ones that do get reported are either going to be (officially) met with humor or will disappear.  

Exhibit A.    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox26houston.com/news/monkey-on-the-loose-in-santa-fe-described-as-aggressive-police.amp

An aggressive 'monkey' was attacking pets and children.  It was national news for a day or so, then completely disappeared from the news.  Even local news agencies just stopped reporting it.

However, there are probably events related to Sasquatch that get filed as a standard prowler or related report.

I will say this though....a friend of my partner is a retired sheriff's deputy who has a police and military themed talk show on a local radio station.  He is a firm believer in Sasquatch and says that pretty much every cop out there has a story... whether it's Bigfoot, or strange lights, or some other paranormal type of occurrence.  He wants to have my partner on the show around Halloween to take calls from police officers and EMTs about their strange experiences.

I have noticed with BF reports, officers arriving on the scene treat the situation as a human trespassing on the property, then do a sweep to see what they can find. 

In other cases it is the officer reporting the BF. You get that not just in rural areas. Anywhere BF can cross the road and shock passing drivers. There's a clip, I think it is in Indiana, where a police vehicle dash cam catches a glimpse of a BF crossing. Of course it's at night, minimal detail. The cop is talking to himself, what did I just see? Turns around, lights up the side of the road leading into the woods and is very confused.

I think this happened to researcher Rich Germeau in WA state.  A former cop who became a researcher and life got strange for him.

Edited by Arvedis

I cannot seem to find the thread but the sheriff in OK that took Mark's report of BF stalking his kids seem to indicate that he knew it was a BF and that this was pretty normal behavior in that region.  He certainly did not ridicule Mark.

Edited by NCBFr

BFF Patron

I was in my research area and thought I saw something moving up on a ridge above the county forest road.     I got out of my truck and was standing in the bed looking up the hill for signs of movement.   A Sheriffs deputy stopped and asked what I was doing.   I said I thought I saw something moving up there and wanted to get a better look.    His next question was a bit strange.    He asked if it was an animal.  I said it was.    That satisfied him and he left.    Based on my contacts near that road I would bet that the deputies saw something now and then.    I wish I had asked him directly if he or other deputies had seen BF there along the road.   Next time I will.    

17 minutes ago, NCBFr said:

I cannot seem to find the thread but the sheriff in OK that took Mark's report of BF stalking his kids seem to indicate that he new it was a BF and that this was pretty normal behavior in that region.  He certainly did not ridicule Mark.

It's about halfway through this thread, iirc.

Admin

Seems to me if you call it in, then no, they do not take it seriously most of the time. However, if you talk to them one on one, especially in high sighting areas, a lot of the time you get a much different reaction. At least that is what I have gleaned from reading many, many reports.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spacemonkeymafia said:

Police code for bigfoot is brown cow. Or so I hear.....

I remember hearing that somewhere...

16 hours ago, Arvedis said:

There's a clip, I think it is in Indiana, where a police vehicle dash cam catches a glimpse of a BF crossing. Of course it's at night, minimal detail.

Sounds like a piece of footage that the Finding Bigfoot team investigated. I can't remember what they made of it and if Bobo was able to replicate the stride length etc.

The one sighting reported locally was to a deputy in my brother's department.  My brother is a Detective and doesn't believe in BF.  I asked him about the reported sighting and he scoffed and chuckled.  Then admitted that the responding deputy said that the witness was absolutely sure of what she saw and was very believable.  But my brother dismissed it.  He was the Woods Patrol deputy for the county for a few years and never saw anything, so doesn't think anyone else has seen anything either.

On 7/16/2020 at 6:04 PM, DaleyWoodbeater said:

I live in England

Great to see a fellow Englishman on here :)

Have you had any sightings of your own? I'm really hoping to see one for myself so if you've any advice on hot spots etc. it'd be much appreciated!

There were reports of a sighting on the moors near me a couple of years ago and to be fair police did investigate the area (probably out of boredom, the rural beat is very quiet!)

They didn't see anything themselves but did find an old Argos carrier bag full of empty crisp packets etc. so blamed the sighting on a homeless person who probably left his litter behind. I'm convinced otherwise however as the guy who claimed to have seen something said it was at least 12 feet tall!!