Can this be right? FLIR for < $100 ??

NorthWind

The scenario I was thinking about is take the human away from the thermal location. Monitor remotely from a blind / tent / vehicle. With a motorized pan / tilt unit, the thermal could be maneuvered to scan an area or follow a target.  The motorized pan / tilt heads make noise so a little sound proofing would be needed.

On 7/21/2020 at 3:35 PM, norseman said:

We had a hand held unit at the FD.

But it was caveman tech compared to this Trijicon scope that I’m drooling over.

Played with one of those a few weeks ago.

Guy at my game club purchased one.

If you are a predator hunter in my opinion well worth the money. I'm just not a predator hunter 

Edited by 7.62

On 7/20/2020 at 9:19 PM, wiiawiwb said:

Would you consider having both NV and thermal or is it one or the other?

I think you need both if you want to walk in places other than dirt roads or established paths and clear trails .

If just setting up in a location and staying put thermal in my opinion is more useful .

I do night ops without having NV.  Granted, there is no question that it would allow someone to move about without turning on some light source. Having said that, I'm more worried about giving away my location by stepping on a twig or small branch causing a snap and having that sound reverberate in the woods. A flashlight using, only a lumen or two, puts out very little light, yet makes it possible to watch where you place every step. NV may do the same thing, I just haven't used it to know what its capabilities are. 

I try to pick out a location, get there before dark, then wait and listen. I'll be intermittenly scanning with the thermal but also enjoy being still, quiet, and waiting for something to hopefully come to me.  If not, I'll move location and start over.

4 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I do night ops without having NV.  Granted, there is no question that it would allow someone to move about without turning on some light source. Having said that, I'm more worried about giving away my location by stepping on a twig or small branch causing a snap and having that sound reverberate in the woods. A flashlight using, only a lumen or two, puts out very little light, yet makes it possible to watch where you place every step. NV may do the same thing, I just haven't used it to know what its capabilities are. 

I try to pick out a location, get there before dark, then wait and listen. I'll be intermittenly scanning with the thermal but also enjoy being still, quiet, and waiting for something to hopefully come to me.  If not, I'll move location and start over.

That's pretty much our MO also . The other thing we tried many  many summer  nights is river and lake cruising close to shorelines with thermal  using just my electric trolling motor .

We would see a lot of animals large and small taking dips and coming to drink water but that's about it.