Which Hair Color Is Reported Most Often?

Which Hair Color Is Reported Most Often?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dark brown I think.

Fahrenbach's microscopic examination of hair samples showed unusual globular bodies of red pigment within the hairs regardless of "main color" so I would expect the hair, with light behind it, would show strong red highlights.  

Of the two I've seen, one had a charcoal appearance against a black shadow background.   It was also wet.   I don't really know what color it was, it just absorbed the light of our old incandescent headlights.   The other was .. well, cinnamon would be a good label.   Dark red-brown, dark brown with prominent red, hard to explain I guess.  Like an irish setter dog sort of, but not exactly.

MIB

• Like 1
BobbyO
SSR Team

I heard Matt Pruitt talk about larger ones being predominantly gray across North America recently on the podcast NAWAC have, with the South African guy.

I get the feeling he said that to suit his own narrative rather than relaying any worthwhile data, especially as it seems that have a big gray one regularly around the NAWAC base, or maybe he just felt the need to give an answer as the guest of the show put him on the spot, i don't know. Perception v Reality ?

With 1,127 Reports describing animals of 8ft and above we see the following numbers.

26% were described as Black
36% were described as Dark/Dark Brown
18% were described as Brown
9% were described as Gray/White/Yellow/Beige

With 281 Reports describing animals of 9ft and above we see the following numbers.

23% were described as Black
35% were described as Dark/Dark Brown
22% were described as Brown
11% were described as Gray/White/Yellow/Beige.

Would love to know why he said what he said, feel free to chime in Matt if you're reading.

• gigantor featured this topic
hiflier
BFF Donor

Chalk one up for the kid :) 

BobbyO
SSR Team

Cinnamon really high don't you think ?

Redbone
BFF Donor
On 7/25/2020 at 4:30 PM, MIB said:

Dark brown I think.

Fahrenbach's microscopic examination of hair samples showed unusual globular bodies of red pigment within the hairs regardless of "main color" so I would expect the hair, with light behind it, would show strong red highlights.  

Of the two I've seen, one had a charcoal appearance against a black shadow background.   It was also wet.   I don't really know what color it was, it just absorbed the light of our old incandescent headlights.   The other was .. well, cinnamon would be a good label.   Dark red-brown, dark brown with prominent red, hard to explain I guess.  Like an irish setter dog sort of, but not exactly.

MIB

42 minutes ago, BobbyO said:

Cinnamon really high don't you think ?

When entering SSR reports, I use cinnamon when they describe "Reddish Brown" and I do think of it as the shade of an Irish Setter. A lot of those reports could probably just as easily been labeled brown.

irish-setter-02.jpg.699a8cfa5e99d90c86e5fa3e4a58750c.jpg

The one I saw was light brown, like a paper bag or cardboard. This is about a match.

image.png.314d1ce3f3df6867bbff5f83680a4397.png

• Upvote 1
BobbyO
SSR Team

Funnily enough Red that red setter type colour was not too dissimilar to the one i saw also, i always had it in my head as 'chestnut' kind of thing.

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 3 months later...
Trogluddite
BFF Donor

I haven't worked on my database enough lately .... I have 474 reports that include a specified hair color (really people, that's a fundamental fact why aren't you reporting it???) but as I started to compile stats for this thread, I realized that I have to develop a more uniform way of recording whats reported.  For example, if one report has 3 black and 1 brown bigfoot, how to include that in the database without inflating the number of encounters?  If someone reports the bigfoot as "dark brown or black," where does it go?

The challenges never end....

SSR Team

Yeah color is an issue for sure. One man's dark brown is another man's black, is another man's dark gray etc.

hiflier
BFF Donor
On 11/25/2020 at 8:43 PM, Trogluddite said:

For example, if one report has 3 black and 1 brown bigfoot, how to include that in the database without inflating the number of encounters?  If someone reports the bigfoot as "dark brown or black," where does it go?

It may be that recording the same encounter ID number would be okay if each entry could be followed by a something indicating it was the same encounter. For instance (hypothetically) A normal ID number for the encounter, say arbitrarily like 100. Then for the second or third creature, the ID's could be 100.1, 100.2 etc? Or 100a, 100b? It would seem, overall, that there are more encounters in the total ID count but during a researcher's data mining activities they will note the designations as belonging to a single encounter. John Green's database, as you know, only lists one ID number and addressed additional creatures by creating a column which referenced other ID numbers that referred to the same encounter.

That's because it was all he knew for how to enter things belonging to the same encounter. It was before people started utilizing things like 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3, for expanding, or adding, variations in the original data.

As far as the undecided hair color, a category of just plain "Dark" and then under that heading enter the Brown/Black description. It isn't perfect but it may eliminate trying to enter two different colors into two different columns in which case, neither would be entirely accurate. At least the "Dark", dual color entry, would be.

Edited by hiflier
  • 1 month later...
Arvedis

The white ones show up occasionally but none with these stats. Seems like when white BF is mentioned, it is definitive, not gray.  

Edited by Arvedis
BobbyO
SSR Team

I wouldn't bet on that Arvidis. I know Guy's with gray hair that some people describe as 'white', but it's undoubtedly gray.

Personally, i'd have no issue with lumping gray, yellow and white all together. We don't need to be definitive within them, because we'd know that the color being described was just 'light' and a much 'lighter' color than the 'dark' colors that are predominantly described.

Arvedis

If it's not random genetics, hard to figure what could account for BF hair color. The way human eyes, cameras perceive hair color is affected by lighting and dirt from outdoor living but there are pretty specific white haired BF reports that have been around a long time that seem distinct.

This one has been around forever (since 1973). It is so maddening that there are no more details on BF carrying an orb: https://cryptidz.fandom.com/wiki/Pennsylvanian_White_Bigfoot. This could be just one of those campfire tales that has lasted through the ages. That story has been in a few documentaries and books.

There are several other, more reliable accounts of white BFs across varying regions in the U.S.

https://www.stilwelldemocrat.com/community/in-the-shadows-the-white-bigfoot/article_8cfbfad2-1d40-11eb-aade-7f0eb0b4ef39.html

Jonathan Dodd's theoretical white bigfoot on instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJwT3ZxAH0-/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJtS06mANlJ/

There's also this https://www.instagram.com/p/zbDbGxLBVZ/ which seems like a rare find some lady found at an indiana garage sale.

I never really looked into any of the abominable snowman reports from the east. All of those sightings that I can recall are dark haired but I am sure my recollection is not complete.

Edited by Arvedis