Sign in to follow this  
gigantor

Which Hair Color Is Reported Most Often?

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

gigantor

MIB

Dark brown I think.

Fahrenbach's microscopic examination of hair samples showed unusual globular bodies of red pigment within the hairs regardless of "main color" so I would expect the hair, with light behind it, would show strong red highlights.  

Of the two I've seen, one had a charcoal appearance against a black shadow background.   It was also wet.   I don't really know what color it was, it just absorbed the light of our old incandescent headlights.   The other was .. well, cinnamon would be a good label.   Dark red-brown, dark brown with prominent red, hard to explain I guess.  Like an irish setter dog sort of, but not exactly.

MIB

• Like 1

BobbyO
SSR Team

I heard Matt Pruitt talk about larger ones being predominantly gray across North America recently on the podcast NAWAC have, with the South African guy.

I get the feeling he said that to suit his own narrative rather than relaying any worthwhile data, especially as it seems that have a big gray one regularly around the NAWAC base, or maybe he just felt the need to give an answer as the guest of the show put him on the spot, i don't know. Perception v Reality ?

With 1,127 Reports describing animals of 8ft and above we see the following numbers.

26% were described as Black
36% were described as Dark/Dark Brown
18% were described as Brown
9% were described as Gray/White/Yellow/Beige

With 281 Reports describing animals of 9ft and above we see the following numbers.

23% were described as Black
35% were described as Dark/Dark Brown
22% were described as Brown
11% were described as Gray/White/Yellow/Beige.

Would love to know why he said what he said, feel free to chime in Matt if you're reading.

gigantor

The answer, for all sighting reports, regardless of height is:

bff-hc.PNG

• Like 1

hiflier

Chalk one up for the kid :) 

BobbyO
SSR Team

Cinnamon really high don't you think ?

gigantor
25 minutes ago, BobbyO said:

Yes, surprising.

Redbone
On 7/25/2020 at 4:30 PM, MIB said:

Dark brown I think.

Fahrenbach's microscopic examination of hair samples showed unusual globular bodies of red pigment within the hairs regardless of "main color" so I would expect the hair, with light behind it, would show strong red highlights.  

Of the two I've seen, one had a charcoal appearance against a black shadow background.   It was also wet.   I don't really know what color it was, it just absorbed the light of our old incandescent headlights.   The other was .. well, cinnamon would be a good label.   Dark red-brown, dark brown with prominent red, hard to explain I guess.  Like an irish setter dog sort of, but not exactly.

MIB

42 minutes ago, BobbyO said:

When entering SSR reports, I use cinnamon when they describe "Reddish Brown" and I do think of it as the shade of an Irish Setter. A lot of those reports could probably just as easily been labeled brown.

irish-setter-02.jpg.699a8cfa5e99d90c86e5fa3e4a58750c.jpg

The one I saw was light brown, like a paper bag or cardboard. This is about a match.

image.png.314d1ce3f3df6867bbff5f83680a4397.png

• Upvote 1

BobbyO
SSR Team

Funnily enough Red that red setter type colour was not too dissimilar to the one i saw also, i always had it in my head as 'chestnut' kind of thing.