Do any of you camp out in potential hot spots?...

Rod Hunter

32 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

^^^^ I think London.

Those are werewolves, with perfect hair.

• Haha 1

SSR Team
6 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Where in the UK is there enough cover for a bigfoot to survive, make a living, and remain out of sight? Let alone a small group?

And welcome to our members across the pond!

Nowhere Incorr.

There isn't enough cover to sustain a healthy breeding population of a so far undiscovered, upright, very large primate.

I steer well clear of anyone that begs to differ personally.

17 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

You have 'big cats'.  Open several tins of tuna fish and wait and watch. You might get some foxes instead of cats. 

There 'may' be big cats in the wild in some areas, but they'd only be escaped exotic pets.

If I want visibility, I go with the hammock.

I use the Warbonnet Ridgerunner with the built in bug net. If you position with your head propped up a little you can get excellent 270 degree views. Only blind spot is directly behind me.

Tucked away in the Ridgerunner with nightvision, flashlight, bowie knife, and 9mm, I feel pretty secure and can lay there enjoying the stars and soaking up any forest noise. Eventually I drift off, but sleep so lightly, that almost any sound in or near camp wakes me right up.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Those are werewolves, with perfect hair.

They will rip your lungs out Jack.

8 hours ago, BobbyO said:

There 'may' be big cats in the wild in some areas, but they'd only be escaped exotic pets.

Yes. Did they escape during transport or were they let out of the vehicle?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/21/beast-of-bodmin-mystery-solved-as-dartmoor-zoo-released-pumas-in/

Edited by Catmandoo
spelling

1 hour ago, Catmandoo said:

......Jack

Jim? Saw Warren in concert in the early 90's.....just an excellent show. The crowd was calling out "AAAOOOO"" long before he actually performed the song. Lots of fun!

Edited by hiflier

^^^^ Good eye, aren't you kind of old for Warren Zevon?

It is 'Jim', but  I do know Jack.

AAAOOOO

"You better stay away from him
He'll rip your lungs out, Jim
I'd like to meet his tailor"

I was in my early 40's when I saw him but had followed his music for years before that. He was only a couple of years older than me. He started the song with about a ten minute freefalling piano solo that was nothing like the song itself. Then he launched into the songs famous intro and everyone went nuts........"I saw a werewolf drinkin' a pina colada at Trader Vic's...and his hair was perfect" AAAOOOO!

Edited by hiflier
  • Like 1

Hi Rod and others :)

I have no doubt that BF exists, but I struggle to believe that it roams the woods of the UK. Has anyone got any links to evidence of this?

I like the gazebo concept - very novel!

I live near some woodland and regularly go there for walks, often in semi-darkness. Due to my interest in BF, I always find myself wishing the beast was there! I have heard some rustling and occasional knocking. I did see 2 deer recently.

Edited by Moonface
  • Downvote 1

On 7/25/2020 at 9:54 AM, HeavyLoal said:

Your original question actually got me thinking. I'm sure this has been discussed many times on this forum, if so apologies but if you were setting yourself up for an overnight stay in a Sasquatch hot spot, you would need to be very careful what food you bring and what creatures it could attract.

If you brought a left over lasagne you could quite easily become bear or even Sasquatch food. Perhaps this is how they get so big.

Heavy loal

You raise a very valid point indeed! I don't think this will be a problem for those overseas who I imagine will be well equipped to deal with bears and the like. I've seen people use 'bear canisters' to store food which I presume are airtight and thus prevent the aroma of food. Either that or using rope/cord over a tree branch to store the food well out of easy reach. 

Left over lasagne would make incredible camping food! Last time I went camping we were with the car so could take a lot more equipment. We set the air fryer up under the gazebo and made burgers, it was great! We also didn't have the stability issues with the gazebo as another advantage of been with the car is you can bring stuff to weight it down like you're supposed to. I was reluctant to spend loads on the proper weights the gazebo manufacturer sells so opted to fill a few plastic sacks full of old Argos catalogues which are obviously free and therefore cost effective! 

Rod.

• Upvote 1

On 7/26/2020 at 5:58 AM, Incorrigible1 said:

Where in the UK is there enough cover for a bigfoot to survive, make a living, and remain out of sight? Let alone a small group?

And welcome to our members across the pond!

I'm in the UK, there is absolutely ZERO, no chance of a single BF in any part of the UK.  You've got bigger golf courses than we have wild areas you lucky sods. 

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2020 at 7:58 PM, Arvedis said:

The UK has really cool crop circles too. The U.S only gets crop circles that look like hack jobs. What's the secret of mathematically precise crop circle imagery in the UK?

I dont live far from Stonehenge, this is the area for the best crop circles in the UK and I've seen many myself. I can guarantee that many of them have not been man made, the complexity and accuracy is amazing.

The whole area is strange, stone age burial sites, strange shaped hill's, lay lines, chalk horses etched into the hillside not to mention the all Black helicopters that float about from time to time  

3 hours ago, Rod Hunter said:

We also didn't have the stability issues with the gazebo as another advantage of been with the car is you can bring stuff to weight it down like you're supposed to

There's a LOT to be said for car camping, my friend. And even just driving roads in the daytime with a small table, a couple of folding chairs and a picnic to have in a location along the road that has a fresh water stream along side or close by. A stream in shade provides good cover for animals to approach, if you're quiet, and take advantage of having a cool drink from even a small pool. It's all a part of being out there and enjoying a fine morning, afternoon or even an overnight.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moonface said:

What sort of photography equipment do you take with you?

I take 2.   First is my cell phone.   It takes the most vibrant greens I have ever seen and the pix are almost 3D, I feel like I can almost reach into them.     I also carry either a Nikon Coolpix A-900 (up to 35x) or a Nikon Coolpix P-900 (up to 83x).       I used to use an old Fuji T410.  10x, smaller footprint / lighter than either of the Nikons, but it produces a "flatter" looking picture with less sense of depth.    I'm tentatively, slowly, shopping for something in the 20x range that is thinner and lighter than the A-900.   The candidates I was looking at have been discontinued.   No rush.

MIB

On 7/27/2020 at 1:27 PM, Rod Hunter said:

You raise a very valid point indeed! I don't think this will be a problem for those overseas who I imagine will be well equipped to deal with bears and the like. I've seen people use 'bear canisters' to store food which I presume are airtight and thus prevent the aroma of food. Either that or using rope/cord over a tree branch to store the food well out of easy reach. 

Left over lasagne would make incredible camping food! Last time I went camping we were with the car so could take a lot more equipment. We set the air fryer up under the gazebo and made burgers, it was great! We also didn't have the stability issues with the gazebo as another advantage of been with the car is you can bring stuff to weight it down like you're supposed to. I was reluctant to spend loads on the proper weights the gazebo manufacturer sells so opted to fill a few plastic sacks full of old Argos catalogues which are obviously free and therefore cost effective! 

Rod.

Rod Hunter, I think we've ran into each other in the field before

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic