Do any of you camp out in potential hot spots?...

Rod Hunter

On 8/31/2020 at 7:14 AM, hiflier said:

Reports say people have shot them dead. Watched and heard them whimper, groan or scream when running away after being shot- even with a 30.06. Not really my idea of anything but large, powerful flesh and blood. A fair question might be is there an animal that has been see LESS that a Sasquatch in th last century? And if so why hasn't IT been given a paranormal status- at least I haven't heard of anyone doing so with any scientifically rare species. I can see where the fact that there is no specimen for study might result in a paranormal evaluation but, for me at least, there are thousands of reports that say otherwise. At minimum, the depth of reported tracks lends to a 100% physical creature. nnn

Christopher Knight remained in the same woodsy area of Maine for 21 years before his "discovery". Had a sheltered camp and everything and folks said it was so well hidden as to be almost impossible to find. Now imaging a creature that doesn't need an elaborate camp, blends in with it's surroundings, stays in remote, inaccessible regions, and doesn't need to steal things from people to survive. Putting the creature into these perspectives keeps it in the "real world" without question which, in my mind anyway, says to keep going in the manner that that we have been with perhaps a few changes in methodology according to what's available these days to assist in the search.

"Ask Bob Gimlin if there was anything paranormal about Patty. Ask anyone who is a knower. Between us and the animal kingdom I only see one creature intelligent enough to remain "undiscovered", both in guile and in low numbers, which has ALL of the capabilities necessary to remain undiscovered without moving toward something beyond entirely physical."

Hiflier, this is the most likely reason why bigfoot remains so elusive. Bigfoot is probably very woods wise and intelligent when it comes to evasiveness, living unseen, and surprise attacks. It knows humans are not to be trusted, so it uses its keen senses to know when humans are close by so it uses every trick in the book to slip away. If bigfoot's family is close by, and moves too slowly, then it uses terror to drive the intruders away. If bigfoot is old and too lame to catch deer and along comes a single human ...................  well, what do you suppose happens in some cases?

I camped in a historic hot spot this summer along the Sixes River, north of Port Orford, Oregon. My courage was good, so I slept under the stars with my 40 semiauto to at least warn other campers that we have BF visitor. There are two remote campgrounds up this river canyon. The most remote one is farther upstream, and has tent spots and small trailer camp sites. This site is where miners were attacked in the 1800's by bigfoot, and one death was assumed to be the work of bigfoot. The miners hired a hound hunter to track down the killer, and his dogs were ripped up so he left the area. From the campground there is no trail to get to where the miners dug tunnels and formed a small cluster of miners. 

• Thanks 1

Is BF the only apex predator in the world that is born with a fear of humans? To the point where they don't allow themselves to be seen/photographed by remote wildlife photographers and trail cams? Curiosity and/or acceptance has never gotten the best of them? Or just for habituators that refuse to take pics?

Did I catch all of that correctly?

If so...it's not SIMPLY an animal. There has to be another component...homo or something else.

• Upvote 1

Hundreds of thousands of gorillas existed in relatively accessible coastal areas of Africa during thousands of years of Europeans sailing by. Over the eons, literally millions of native Africans knew of these creatures and even hunted, killed, and ate them. Documented legends of these gorillas reached Europe over 2000 years ago from travelers to the region.

Yet it wasn't until just 166 years ago (@ 100 years before my birth) that the European knowledge gatekeepers accepted the existence of gorillas. Think about that for a moment. European slave traders had been moving millions of African tribesmen from the depths of thus very region to the coast and shipping them to the New World by the millions for well over 200 years before DuChalliu brought the first gorilla carcass out of Africa for the Royal Geographic Society to finally accept, and even then, the American public didn't accept it for decades.

Absolutely nothing has changed with regard to the knowledge authorities except their names.........

unnamed-1.jpg

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, NatFoot said:

Is BF the only apex predator in the world that is born with a fear of humans? To the point where they don't allow themselves to be seen/photographed by remote wildlife photographers and trail cams? Curiosity and/or acceptance has never gotten the best of them? Or just for habituators that refuse to take pics?

Did I catch all of that correctly?

If so...it's not SIMPLY an animal. There has to be another component...homo or something else.

I agree and have never thought a sasquatch to be akin to a big monkey such as gigantopithecus.  I think they are much closer to human than beast if not near-human.

2 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

I agree and have never thought a sasquatch to be akin to a big monkey such as gigantopithecus.  I think they are much closer to human than beast if not near-human.

Giganto is far far from a “big monkey”.

I'll retract gigantopithecus as it distracts from the conversation. My point is I think a sasquatch is closer to a human than to an ape.

Edited by wiiawiwb

Humans are classified in the sub-group of primates known as the Great Apes. Humans are primates, but the primates that we most closely resemble are the apes. We are therefore classified along with all other apes in a primate sub-group known as the hominoids (Superfamily Hominoidea).

https://australian.museum/learn/science/human-evolution/humans-are-apes-great-apes/

57 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Humans are classified in the sub-group of primates known as the Great Apes. Humans are primates, but the primates that we most closely resemble are the apes. We are therefore classified along with all other apes in a primate sub-group known as the hominoids (Superfamily Hominoidea).

https://australian.museum/learn/science/human-evolution/humans-are-apes-great-apes/

Interesting breakdown. The thought that we are a sub-group of primate known as the Great Apes puts a new meaning to human. The way some people act such as in the riots in Portland, OR, does side with the great ape classification! 

Anyway back to the topic of sleeping out under the stars in squatchy country. This does take some courage. Some reports describe bigfoots as being highly agitated when they find campers in their territory. In a few cases, the campers piled in their cars and left all their gear behind until the next day.

I posted an incident that happened many years back, somewhere in the late 1970's. My friend and I camped out under the stars near Prospect, Oregon. At the time, Sasquatch was not on my mind and never considered them to exist. Around midnight, something woke me, and I looked up to see this head and shoulders peering over this 5' diameter fallen log. Out eyes locked and out of puzzlement I had no idea what this creature was until joining the forum years ago. When I tried to wake my wood cutting partner, the creature snuck off and vanished. The creature just stared and didn't seem scary so I was lucky. I will post a sketch of this creature later. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

My point is I think a sasquatch is closer to a human than to an ape.

I think it is equidistant. So, Bigfoot is as far from Chimpanzees as we are to it. The Chimpanzee split? About 7 million years ago. The Sasquatch split? I'd say 4 million years ago or whenever it was that Homo Sapiens got their new cognitive makeover. At that point, Bigfoot and Humans went their separate ways. We went to space and Bigfoot kept doing it's Pongo/Pan imitation in the wilderness....to this day. But with a much more sophisticated, hominid-like, physical body.

Edited by hiflier

3 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I'll retract gigantopithecus as it distracts from the conversation. My point is I think a sasquatch is closer to a human than to an ape.

We are splitting hairs, but I understand what your trying to say.

In my mind it would come down to was Giganto bipedal or a quadruped? 

If Giganto was a bipedal ape? As we are? Then in the grand scheme of things? We could be very closely related.

This is such a great thread!

A question I have for those who do these campouts, whether you’re alone or with others. Are you quiet and listening or just acting normal, like talking and moving around? 

Most of the time I am quiet and listening once it becomes dark. I will often, but not always, leave camp after sunset but before total darkness and spend an hour or two at a location I've decided on earlier in the day.  There, I will sit quietly, be still, and listen for any noise the forest gives me. 

A thermal imager will be with me and I will be scanning the woods and focusing on areas I hear movement or other sound. At some point during the night, I will do a single wood knock and just listen for a response.

When I've decided that being away from camp is not paying dividends, I'll head back and then quietly do normal camp activities for the remainder of the evening.

I probably need to change my evening agenda and try new approaches. It's easy to stick to the same protocol rather than try new, fresh ideas.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

I probably need to change my evening agenda and try new approaches. It's easy to stick to the same protocol rather than try new, fresh ideas.

There also could be some good things said about having a routine that a BF may get familiar with enough with to feel perhaps less and less threatened? Almost along the same lines as habituation. Didn't a guy named Morgan put out a pamphlet or small guide book on that idea? Ummm, hold on. Yep here it is: Bigfoot Observer's Field Manual

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, norseman said:

We are splitting hairs, but I understand what your trying to say.

In my mind it would come down to was Giganto bipedal or a quadruped? 

If Giganto was a bipedal ape? As we are? Then in the grand scheme of things? We could be very closely related.

I am admittedly out of my league and comfort-zone-of-knowledge with this subject.  There are those here who know the evolutionary timeline and each small branch which evolved therefrom. Me, I know there is man and there is monkey. Tarzan and Cheetah. It's a pretty sad statement but true.

As Clint Eastwood said, "A man's gotta know his limitations."  Mine aren't this subject matter so I will sit on the sidelines and watch with interest.

• gigantor unfeatured this topic