Does hoaxing bother you?

Moonface

18 minutes ago, Rod Hunter said:

It's not like I'm experienced on the subject but generally speaking, any attempt to intentionally mislead/deceive others for personal amusement really chafes me. 

Edit: spelling

Right.

Can you make it anymore obvious, Rod?

• Downvote 3

14 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

Right.

Can you make it anymore obvious, Rod?

Sorry my choice of words is probably confusing! What I'm saying is it gets on my nerves / irritates me when people deliberately mislead others for personal gain such as hoaxing etc. 

Considering the well established community you have in the States and elsewhere internationally with members investing serious time and money into quality research, any attempt to deliberately waste that resource for the sake of a laugh or some attention is just pathetic (in my opinion) I echo the sentiments of most in this thread, it doesn't sit well with me. 

Edit: punctuation 

Edited by Rod Hunter
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

One time I spent hours reading about a "narrowback" Bigfoot sighting that turned out to be a hoax. I was very disappointed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, HeavyLoal said:

One time I spent hours reading about a "narrowback" Bigfoot sighting that turned out to be a hoax. I was very disappointed.

What is a narrowback Bigfoot?

1 hour ago, HeavyLoal said:

You are forgiven as long as you did not contribute to the GoFundMe page. 

6 hours ago, vinchyfoot said:

Where does that leave the woo? Claims into mindpspeak, interdimensional travel and all the fringe stuff hinder and harm the search as well.......

It seems to be a form of hoaxing, but one I find more amusing than dishonest. It reminds me of the mentally ill talking to himself next to his tent on the sidewalk. Ultimately, it's a disaster, but I really can't do anything about it because he's delusional. So I blow off his conversation and continue on my way.

Edited by Huntster

44 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

What is a narrowback Bigfoot?

One with a narrow back?

A juvenile maybe?

10 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

I agree. It is not helpful to the cause. I don't think it is all that common.

Certainly not as common as simply mistaken.

I think it's harder to be mistaken when you go out alone. Groups settings really don't work well in this kind of research .

Edited by 7.62

Yes, it bothers me! I bust my butt looking for evidence, put hundreds of miles on my old truck every month going out in the woods and have spent a lot of money on this hobby/obsession! Hoaxers are liars and waste my time and money. No tolerance for that BS.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Madison5716 said:

Yes, it bothers me! I bust my butt looking for evidence, put hundreds of miles on my old truck every month going out in the woods and have spent a lot of money on this hobby/obsession! Hoaxers are liars and waste my time and money. No tolerance for that BS.

All you and NW do is much appreciated .

I certainly understand with so much conviction in an already highly controversial subject how hoaxers are offensive.

19 hours ago, vinchyfoot said:

Where does that leave the woo? Claims into mindpspeak, interdimensional travel and all the fringe stuff hinder and harm the search as well. Hoaxing is essentially pranking, woo will always keep the search out of the mainstream.

Sadder yet are those that give any sort of credence to the "bigfoot whisperer." I can't help wonder if these same folks fund Nairobi princes in their quest to transfer funds to the USA.

55 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Sadder yet are those that give any sort of credence to the "bigfoot whisperer." I can't help wonder if these same folks fund Nairobi princes in their quest to transfer funds to the USA.

These days they seem to give to their favorite Guru's Patreon account. Still sad, though

SSR Team

It would depend if you were sitting in an armchair or spending your own time on it, plus money on gas i suppose.

Oh yeah, it drives me nuts when someone pulls a hoax. I got called to go look into an incident in eastern KY a couple weeks ago. I arrived to "oh, I didnt think you would actually show up. my buddies were just messin with me and I thought it was legit until they told me it was them." after driving 2 hours one way you would think thats something they would have told me after they found out, or when I sent a message saying "im on my way" but noooooooo. Luckily for him I have a long fuse, not so lucky for my steering wheel that took the brunt of my frustration a few moments later as I was driving home.