Making your presence known or being quiet?

wiiawiwb

I have also played a recording of Native American flute music, and heard knocks. I play it at a regular volume, not 'blasted" into the woods. Doesn't always work, and the music gets annoying after a while when I am trying to listen. I would play it myself, but I don't have a musical bone in my body. But I can play the kazoo. Oh, and a nose flute (really!). LOL 

BFF Patron
2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

If an approach is for them to know you're there,  we have to signal them somehow. Let's say they have a 12 square-mile domain. They're not going to know you're even in the area if they're a mile or two away. So something has to be done to let them know of your whereabouts.

How does that happen? Some form of sound communication has to occur. This is why I've used a single wood knock.  I'm usually near water so the sound can echo farther. 

What other means have worked for you to "signal" them you're location?

In a remote area I can hear a vehicle approaching from several miles away on rough logging roads.    .   If I can, so can BF, especially if you have narrowed down an active area and drive into it to park.    When my research area was active,  I  had the feeling I was being watched nearly all the time.  A couple of times when I slammed the drivers door to hike,   I could hear a responding wood knock.   The door apparently signaled them I was there.     It was not trail head that was used by anyone else.     Of course in other areas where I never found any indication of activity,   I rarely had the feeling I was being watched.   Not sure if that was a chicken and egg relationship or not.      Certainly after a footprint find, I expect BF to be in the area watching me.   My first footprint find was so fresh that I must have nearly seen the BF that made it.   Little bits of rock were falling of the edges of the print.  I have wondered how close the BF was and if it was watching me.  

I played the trumpet as a young person but fell and knocked out my front teeth, ending my trumpet playing career.     I wish I could go out and do that now.  

Edited by SWWASAS
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

If an approach is for them to know you're there,  we have to signal them somehow. Let's say they have a 12 square-mile domain. They're not going to know you're even in the area if they're a mile or two away. So something has to be done to let them know of your whereabouts.

How does that happen? Some form of sound communication has to occur. This is why I've used a single wood knock.  I'm usually near water so the sound can echo farther. 

What other means have worked for you to "signal" them you're location?

I'm not going remote, I'd be in a campground. I wouldn't object to a single knock here and there, like on a hike or something. I always have a bag of musical instruments and sometimes do some drumming. Seeing a pattern here. :guitar:

While in campsite research mode,  use campfire smoke to signal human presence. I use propane for cooking and build a small fire ( when allowed ). I build '360 degree fires'.............wherever I sit, the smoke follows me so I should have a good pattern of olfactory signaling. Humans have been watching fires since we saw lightning hit trees. We watch fire and they watch us watching fire.

I do not call blast or wood knock. Just basic air guitar.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

I build '360 degree fires'.............wherever I sit, the smoke follows me so I should have a good pattern of olfactory signaling

WOW! That's amazing because I do the same thing, I just don't do it intentionally, LOL. One would think after all my years of camping that I would have learned how to build a fire whose smoke only goes in the direction I want it to ;) Ah well.........

Edited by hiflier

^^^^ You can either say smoke follows beauty, or you can say you do it deliberately to discourage the mosquitoes.     "It's not a bug, it's a feature."   Instead of fixing it, charge extra for it.  :)

MIB

Edited by MIB

A Dakota fire pit should resolve the smoke issue.  Easy to make. Many of videos show two very large holes. When I've done it in the past, I make them much smaller.  I didn't want to give away my location, so the fire was small for that reason. In the past few years, I want a sasquatch to find me so I want it so see the smoke wafting through the trees.

• Upvote 1

Very familiar with that set up, w. other than no fire at all it is the stealthiest of fire pits. Burns very hot and so not much if any smoke. Just watch out for shallow pine roots because pit fires can ignite the roots and risks a fire springing up where one least expects. Root fires are very dangerous because one doesn't know it's happening and are difficult to extinguish. But carefully done they work extremely well.

4 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I want a sasquatch to find me so I want it so see the smoke wafting through the trees.

Also, smell the smoke wafting through the trees. Wet wood works well.

BFF Patron

I wonder if ladies smelling nice are what increases their chance for encounters?    A nice perfume scent could be interesting enough to a BG to step out and look for that new flower to smell before seeing it is a human. 

I think a human next to a fire creates some sort of eddy current and that actually cases the smoke to drift towards the human.    Since a fire is usually only lighted during cooler weather,   the warm human would create an upward movement of air like a chimney effect which could draw in smoke from the fire.  

1 hour ago, SWWASAS said:

I wonder if ladies smelling nice are what increases their chance for encounters?   

Do women have more BF encounters? 

If so, I am breaking out the Chanel #5. I am sure @Madison5716  wouldn't mind if I wore that in her little truck. LOL

• Haha 2

Pretty expensive stuff, NorthWind. It may be not be necessary unless Bigfoot has an unusual olfactory palette in which case it would only respond to top shelf fragrances. HOWEVER! A female may view it as a threat to her designs on a nice hunky Bigfoot male so she may not take too kindly to someone stepping into her territory wearing one of the best flowery smellers money can buy. So if you're gonna get pummeled, I'd definitely go with the cheap stuff.....uh.....again....except for in Madison's truck.   

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

the warm human would create an upward movement of air like a chimney effect which could draw in smoke from the fire.  

I can easily create an upward movement of air ( reverse call blasting ). No foo-foo.

• Upvote 1

My girlfriend and I will be watching Jumangi on a laptop in our tent tomorrow night, so we'll see if that does the trick.