Black bear walking upright generates false BF reports.

PNWexplorer

On 8/24/2020 at 7:46 PM, ShadowBorn said:

In the years that I have gone up in northern Michigan. I have never spotted a black bear ut in those woods. Now I am not saying that they are not out there I have not seen one. But what reason would a bear have to be standing up on it's hind legs and be walking on then in the first place. It seems that it would be un-natural for a bear to be doing this act on it's own. The only reason that I can come up with that a bear would be doing this is to sniff the air for scent. Now a bear that is walking on it's back two feet is not going to leave 72" heel to heel tracks behind. 

But I can see how people can make the mistake of seeing a bear and calling it a Bigfoot. As long as the bear is not moving and standing behind some tree. This is possible and this mistake can take place in reporting of some witnesses. But most of the witnesses do know their species that live in the forest. But I would rule out some who only vacation in the forest. But this is only my take on this subject. 

You're right there's not a whole lot of reasons bears would be walking bipedal . They go up to sniff scent in the air as you said , reach for something , scratch their back , claw a tree ,just get a better view of something but they do not walk around in the woods bipedal just for fun. 

I've seen a couple of bears walking upright (usually animal park or State Fair) and they seem quite awkward.  Bigfoot reports often mention a gliding or very smooth motion.  Plus the shoulders of each are quite different.  But in limited visibility, you can't determine that.

In the story I told back on page 2, I considered black bear because of the color of what I saw, but down-rated that possibility because the DNR said there were none in that part of the state.  Now, they would also have said there's no bigfoot.  So do I believe one claim and not the other?

Also, I wasn't aware of bears shaking/cracking trees, but I've since learned that it is a seldom-observed behavior.

I don't think anyone has seen them hitting a tree with a stick yet. :)